Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
It's not the images but the problem of pushing my 60-year old body so close to the ground for many of my shots. The articulating screen will give these knees some ease... I hope!

I'm not as concerned about 20MP or 24MP. I've been fairly happy with what my K50 has been able to record so either one is a decent upgrade IMO, and the smaller sensor might even help keep me from getting too lazy with the shot setups.
EXACTLY ! The articulating screen keeps me from laying in water and mud ! Its not so much of mega pixels as anything from the K30 and up has what it takes.

03-28-2016, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Michael,,,,you are a Pro shooter with lots of experience. I'm still trying to adjust to PS and that's after a full year of a very steep learning curve on my current K3. It seems I am just a "Enigma" over being used to the K30 , KS2.......The processing on the K3II is just getting to me and cant seem to overcome it.
The KS2 is just perfect for me because of the screen with my Low to the ground shooting style......and the (seeming to me) a more forgiving sensor even though its 20mp.
There is a member who has great tutorials and that really got me over the edge for the K-3, and are made for K-3II I think. They are offered in the Marketplace, Yvon Bourque. Now I am frustrated if I do not have the flexibility the K-3 offers. That transition is easier than you think and will give you more control. Think about it. Otherwise, you can sell it. My transition is likely very different from yours, digital point and shoot, but from manual film! It was frustrating. The tutorial got me over that hump, no problems now. Then there is a great on-line course The Art of Photography, RMIT University in Australia. Both got me well over the edge for digital, and I respect myself for doing it.
David
03-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^ Yvon's PDF camera guides are great, and better than any manual could ever be. I have the K3 / K3II version - really excellent and recommended
03-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

AAANNDD on a tangentially related note I just ordered a weatherproofed D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR to augment my stay-out-of-the rain Kiron 105 for macro. B&H has them on sale at the moment for $400 which is an excellent bargain. I'll be shocked to find I get better images with the FA 100 but would love to be surprised. In any event possible weather problems will be less of an issue at least.

03-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can do away with the articulated screen and save your knees too. Here is how I get some low macros.
1. Set up and take a test shot without thinking too much. Review and adjust for the composition.
2. Turn on live view and focus peaking or that info thing and manually focus the lens or just scoot the camera body to get the thing in focus.
3. Set the shutter to 2 sec timer (an equivalent of MUP if you will) and shoot.

I am thinking of a rig that can be used for these kind of shots which is mostly a cheapo ball head mounted on a square plank of 2X10's or something like that if you can imagine. I will post the DIY if I get a chance to build one any time soon. But there you go if you get the idea.

---------- Post added 03-29-16 at 11:07 AM ----------

Stupid indeed... Not for opting for the K-3ii but for wanting what you wanted... if that even makes sense.
I am kidding though....
But seriously K-3ii is the epitome of APS-C image quality. It squeezes out every ounce of juice there is in the IQ. Congratulations...
03-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
You can do away with the articulated screen and save your knees too. Here is how I get some low macros.
1. Set up and take a test shot without thinking too much. Review and adjust for the composition.
2. Turn on live view and focus peaking or that info thing and manually focus the lens or just scoot the camera body to get the thing in focus.
3. Set the shutter to 2 sec timer (an equivalent of MUP if you will) and shoot.
There's also something like this that might work for some folks...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/290668...ml#post3189107
03-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Heard and understood. I like right angle viewers, but they're not for everyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I know in most ways its not even close to the K3 or the K3II.....what does it for me is the articulating screen (because I shoot low) and the seemingly more forgiving (but actually lesser) sensor. I'm quite good at processing the 20mp sensor as it seems more forgiving than the K3 or K3II.......I lack a lot of PS experience and just am not able to do post processing very good.
I use LV a lot with magnification/peaking and usually only shoot manual glass.

03-30-2016, 03:41 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I think you got more out of the deal getting the K-3II. It's a fine camera and that's speaking from experience. However, regarding your need to use a flip screen that's something different.
03-31-2016, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are little flip-out mirrors for cameras.
LCD Protector and Angle Viewfinder for Digital Cameras - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS
03-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Thank YOU !!!!! I think this just might work ! And........I get the K3II tomorrow and now tempted to keep it and sell the K3 !
03-31-2016, 05:03 PM - 2 Likes   #26

I mean... I'll buy you a KS2 in exchange for that k3ii if you're really that bummed....
03-31-2016, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

The K-3II is a great camera. I have one. Also, it has an lcd on top to see settings. If you want the 16-85, you could sell the 18-135 to help buy it. I have the 16-85, and it provides superior image quality.
03-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #28
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
could probably just fashion one of these out of an old makeup compact too..

that said, amazon has the one you listed for around 14 bucks.. so probably roughly the same price... unless your wife/gf has an old rectangular compact to use already.
04-01-2016, 05:21 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
could probably just fashion one of these out of an old makeup compact too..

that said, amazon has the one you listed for around 14 bucks.. so probably roughly the same price... unless your wife/gf has an old rectangular compact to use already.
Make sure you look at the size, the K3 has a pretty big LCD display. I'm fairly sure there's one around somewhere which will fit if not from this company.
04-01-2016, 05:57 AM   #30
Pentaxian

This flipbac device looks Interesting. I'll put it in my list for future acquisitions.