Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I Must be stupid ! Bought a K-3II instead of what I wanted.....was owed $$$

I have been wanting another K S2 to replace the one that went into the lake with me attached last month.....lol.
Have a friend that works in a Brick and mortar Photo shop in New Jersey that owed me $1000.
Last Friday he calls up and says...."What camera do you want" ?And tells me he will repay me through his employee discount with gear if I agree. (legit discount...not the 5 fingered variety)
Before even thinking I blurt out...."K 3II with a 18-135 lens".......Its now on the way and we consider me all paid back.
Problem is I really wanted the K S2 but also knew I would probably not get another chance to get paid back anytime soon so went with the higher priced camera to get our "friends loaning friends money" situation all squared away.
Did I get a good deal ? I glanced around and it looks like I did ? I have have no plans on keeping my current K3 or possibly this new K 3II.......and still want the K S2 !
I just wanted paid back.......now I'm kinda regretting it and wishing maybe I should have choose the 16-85 lens instead of the 18-135.
Just hope I can sell it for the $1000 he owed me.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 03-28-2016 at 03:01 PM.
03-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oh gosh -- the K-3ii is one of the best crop-sensor cameras ever made. And I say that as a long-time (and still current) Nikon shooter. Rest assured, you did just fine. Enjoy your new gear!

Michael
03-28-2016, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

You could have only done better by telling him to preorder a K1 for you.
03-28-2016, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
You could have only done better by telling him to preorder a K1 for you.
Yeah.....but I figured a K 3II in the hand was better than a K1 in the bush.......my lifelong friend is rather squirrely.....we get into it over friends and loans every few years. Took what I could get immediately.

03-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So swap your present K-3 for a KS-2. Surely there must be someone out there who wants that upgrade. As for the 16-85 vs 18-135 issue... well, what are the relative prices like? Cheaper camera, more expensive lens vs cheaper lens, more expensive camera. You may even find someone with the KS-2/16-85 combo who's wishing they had a K-3 AND that extra 50mm on the long end. Put an ad in wanted here on the Forum; you never know what you will get.
03-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
oh gosh -- the K-3ii is one of the best crop-sensor cameras ever made. And I say that as a long-time (and still current) Nikon shooter. Rest assured, you did just fine. Enjoy your new gear!

Michael
Michael,,,,you are a Pro shooter with lots of experience. I'm still trying to adjust to PS and that's after a full year of a very steep learning curve on my current K3. It seems I am just a "Enigma" over being used to the K30 , KS2.......The processing on the K3II is just getting to me and cant seem to overcome it.
The KS2 is just perfect for me because of the screen with my Low to the ground shooting style......and the (seeming to me) a more forgiving sensor even though its 20mp.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 03-28-2016 at 03:22 PM.
03-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, what is it about the K-S2 that makes you prefer it over your K-3?

03-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Michael,,,,you are a Pro shooter with lots of experience. I'm still trying to adjust to PS and that's after a full year of a very steep learning curve on my current K3. It seems I am just a "Enigma" over being used to the K30 , KS2.......The processing on the K3II is just getting to me and cant seem to overcome it.
The KS2 is just perfect for me because of the screen with my Low to the ground shooting style.
I agree! I took a pass on a new K3 today selling for $500 (and free shipping !) because of the type of photography I enjoy most: Macro. But I did post the deal in the forum so we have a new member who couldn't resist with a new K3 on the way.
03-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
So, what is it about the K-S2 that makes you prefer it over your K-3?
I know in most ways its not even close to the K3 or the K3II.....what does it for me is the articulating screen (because I shoot low) and the seemingly more forgiving (but actually lesser) sensor. I'm quite good at processing the 20mp sensor as it seems more forgiving than the K3 or K3II.......I lack a lot of PS experience and just am not able to do post processing very good.
I use LV a lot with magnification/peaking and usually only shoot manual glass.
03-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I have been wanting another K S2 to replace the one that went into the lake with me attached last month.....lol.
Have a friend that works in a Brick and mortar Photo shop in New Jersey that owed me $1000.
Last Friday he calls up and says...."What camera do you want" ?And tells me he will repay me through his employee discount with gear if I agree. (legit discount...not the 5 fingered variety)
Before even thinking I blurt out...."K 3II with a 18-135 lens".......Its now on the way and we consider me all paid back.
Problem is I really wanted the K S2 but also knew I would probably not get another chance to get paid back anytime soon so went with the higher priced camera to get our "friends loaning friends money" situation all squared away.
Did I get a good deal ? I glanced around and it looks like I did ? I have have no plans on keeping my current K3 or possibly this new K 3II.......and still want the K S2 !
I just wanted paid back.......now I'm kinda regretting it and wishing maybe I should have choose the 16-85 lens instead of the 18-135.
Just hope I can sell it for the $1000 he owed me.
It is a decent deal. K3ii definitely can do a lot of things KS2 cannot do!
03-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I agree! I took a pass on a new K3 today selling for $500 (and free shipping !) because of the type of photography I enjoy most: Macro. But I did post the deal in the forum so we have a new member who couldn't resist with a new K3 on the way.
How does a K-3 hurt your macro? Shooting? More MP means more enlargement. Oh, the back screen thing?
That's gotta be it. Try the flu card and iPad.
03-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
How does a K-3 hurt your macro? Shooting? More MP means more enlargement.
It's not the images but the problem of pushing my 60-year old body so close to the ground for many of my shots. The articulating screen will give these knees some ease... I hope!

I'm not as concerned about 20MP or 24MP. I've been fairly happy with what my K50 has been able to record so either one is a decent upgrade IMO, and the smaller sensor might even help keep me from getting too lazy with the shot setups.
03-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #13

So sell the K3 and buy a K-S2. You may like the pixel shift and the Astortracer in the K3ii. Tweaking the settings on the K3/K3ii may give you results you like similar to the K-S2.
03-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Oh, the back screen thing?
That's gotta be it. Try the flu card and iPad.
I really try to avoid tripod's and rarely even use a monopod. I get more enjoyment from the chase than hiding in wait.
03-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@DS - you made a great choice. The K3II is a superb camera in every respect. You... will... LOVE it !!