Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #1

Asking for help all the way from Brazil

Good evening guys...

I'm very inclined to buy a k3. The specs are just unbeatable for the price.

The thing is that Pentax here in Brazil just doesn't exist. There's no official tecnical assistance and so on... And that makes me hesitate on buying a Pentax. So my questions are: the K3 is a reliable camera? Are there too many reports of malfunction on that camera? Is it possible to get one and use it for about 4 or 5 years without issues?

Or I should get a (clichê) Nikon or Canon?

Thanks in advance guys

03-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPinto Quote
the K3 is a reliable camera?
Yes
Are there too many reports of malfunction on that camera?
Some, but very few. Less than almost any other camera I have taken notice of.
Is it possible to get one and use it for about 4 or 5 years without issues?
Probably, but it has not been out that long so who can say? I bought mine November 2013 and no issues so far.
03-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi MrPinto. I have owned the K-3 for 2 years now and find it to be an amazing camera. There were some issues with mirror flap a while back, but that has been resolved with a firmware update. If you choose to get the K-3, I'm sure you will get years of enjoyment ( and some great photographs ) from it. Good luck.

PS. I didn't have the mirror flap issue.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-28-2016 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Add text.
03-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
Forum Member

Hi,

I have personally experienced mirror flapping with my K3. I do not think it has occurred since the latest firmware update. You may want to check the forum thread on this site to see the latest thoughts on the flap and if people are still experiencing it.

I have not looked at the K3ii in depth (because my next camera will be the K-1), but I think that the mirror flapping issue is not as prevalent with the 2nd gen of the K3.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

radman

03-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 is quite reliable. Worst-case though, you can always send the camera in for service to the US. Alternatively, I don't know if these exist in Brazil, but third-party warranties might be able to help you get free service locally.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #6
CDW
Site Supporter

Here is what I found after doing a search. It may be helpful:

Pentax camera repair shops or service center locations foer Latin America:

• Dima Industrial Y Comercial, S.A., Avenida Central, Calles 3 Y 5 San Jose, Costa Rica, (506)-2222-3969 / 2257-1772
03-29-2016, 01:39 AM   #7
Forum Member

hi,

forgive me if I am making a rather obvious point, but regardless of the reliability of the K3 (which by all accounts seems very good).

Where would you stand with regards to lenses. Unless there is a plentiful supply of older A/M models etc. that are readily/cheaply available in Brasil would you not be putting yourself in the same position with regards to each lens purchase.

Not trying to put you off, I have a few nikons and my pentax is much more enjoyable to use - prefer the layout, size, in camera processing/wb options etc. (although the nikon D2H is also very nice to use albeit rather old sensor tech - also given its size and weight doubles as an almost lethal weapon should you need it).

You might find yourself stuck with the original kit lens and you might at some point in the future be given pause each time you think about expanding your range of glass.

Just my $0.02

Cheers

03-29-2016, 04:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good evening guys...

I'm very inclined to buy a k3. The specs are just unbeatable for the price.

The thing is that Pentax here in Brazil just doesn't exist. There's no official tecnical assistance and so on... And that makes me hesitate on buying a Pentax. So my questions are: the K3 is a reliable camera? Are there too many reports of malfunction on that camera? Is it possible to get one and use it for about 4 or 5 years without issues?

Or I should get a (clichê) Nikon or Canon?

Thanks in advance guys
I've owned a couple mid-range Pentax cameras (the K-x and then the K-30) and I used them extensively without any failures. My K-30 has well over 60,000 clicks at this point and is still going strong. So I would expect the high-end cameras to be even better.

My wife is from Brazil, and from what she says the prices of electronics (and most everything) are outrageous there. Like three or four times the prices in the US. Do you have someone who is able to purchase the camera in the US and bring it down?
03-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yes

Some, but very few. Less than almost any other camera I have taken notice of.

Probably, but it has not been out that long so who can say? I bought mine November 2013 and no issues so far.
Thank you for sharing your exerience.

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Here is what I found after doing a search. It may be helpful:

Pentax camera repair shops or service center locations foer Latin America:

• Dima Industrial Y Comercial, S.A., Avenida Central, Calles 3 Y 5 San Jose, Costa Rica, (506)-2222-3969 / 2257-1772
That's far away from Brazil. I think if I have a issue I'll have to send it to the US.

Regarding the two last contributions... Down here in Brasil I ccan find a decent quantity of lens on mercado livre (it's like your ebay!).

Regarding the price of eletronics here in Brazil it's true. Unbelieveble high. Just so you have an Idea, a used k3 body only, beyond being hard to find, costs U$1100. That's ridiculously expensive.

So it's way better save money, travel to the US and buy it. Which is what I'm doing next april.

Is there a good Pentax retailer in Orlando or near it? (I woudn't mind driving 2 hours).

Thank you all for replying my thread.