Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2016, 03:15 AM   #16

Targetting with my K5IIs + 150-450 (central spot mode) is a mess for birding
So for wildlife : better AF in crop mode (i think), better SR stab tech...
Maybe some animals pictures in FF ?
beyond this practice, it's must be a pleasure to make landscape, N&B or portrait with FF

03-29-2016, 04:36 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Since most owners of apsc lenses don't only own crop lenses but obviously own apsc camera body such as K-30/K50/K5/K3 series, why would you need crop modes on a full frame camera.
If you wanted to use crop lenses, just mount them on you apsc dslr. Unless the FF camera had higher FPS and/or much better AF module, what's the fuzz about have crop modes on a FF body?
I agree with you that the best way would be carrying both K-1 and an APSC body for different lenses...which I'll do in most cases.
Crop mode comes useful when you only carry one body. i.e., K-1. It takes all the lenses I have:-)

David
03-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #18

Not sure this is correct or not ( someone who has tried the K-1 please confirm), I heard that even using FF lenses you can use APSC crop mode in K-1 if you want to increase FPS and AF coverage, but obviously you won't get full 36MP.

What I'm not sure are:
- When crop mode is engaged using FF lenses, will the viewfinder display an APSC coverage box and grey/blackout the rest of the coverage or what exactly will happen?
- How about using LiveView, will the frame displayed as automatic "crop" and fills the entire screen? or Just display as a "crop frame" with grey/blackout on the rest of the screen?

Will be great if someone can confirm about those.

Cheers,
03-30-2016, 02:32 AM   #19

Your first point, selecting Cropmode is engaging the cropframe (APSC coverage box) in the OVF and only the crop-picture will be saved.
Liveview I don't know

04-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Watch Albert Siegel's Hands-on Video which shows the crop mode through the viewfinder and liveview on a pre-production model. Go to around 2min 10 seconds.

PS. Seems like I posted this before in this thread