Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2016, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much abuse can a weather-sealed DSLR take?

This guy doesn't just drench it, he actually drops it right into a puddle!

03-29-2016, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
...and THAT's why I prefer to buy new.
03-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Apparently a lot... if it's a Pentax.

We just need some rich idiots to do this to their Canon and Nikon's and watch the fail video afterwards
03-29-2016, 07:13 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

I'd be willing to bet the D5/1Dmarkwhatever have even better weathersealing. While these videos are impressive, I want to see how gear holds up after a full day in the rain and mud. My guess is that a lot of "weather resistant" gear would fail, while a photojournalist's top-of-the-line body would keep on going.

03-29-2016, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
This guy doesn't just drench it, he actually drops it right into a puddle!

https://youtu.be/bIfFR1AvlKY
I was more impressed that he dropped the camera into a shallow puddle onto pavement.

Steve
03-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
I'd be willing to bet the D5/1Dmarkwhatever have even better weathersealing. While these videos are impressive, I want to see how gear holds up after a full day in the rain and mud. My guess is that a lot of "weather resistant" gear would fail, while a photojournalist's top-of-the-line body would keep on going.
That is an interesting assertion. Neither Canon nor Nikon warrants any of their models against water incursion and I have yet to read glowing reviews or tear-down comparisons where ANY camera is held up as a standard in that area. That being said, I am not particularly well-read and don't regularly shop that category of gear.

Steve

* I do remember a video from a view years ago where a D4 was left out all night in foul weather doing automated shooting. The outcome was not pretty.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-29-2016 at 07:27 PM.
03-29-2016, 07:32 PM - 12 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

i'd be willing to bet the d5/1dmarkwhatever have even better weathersealing. While these videos are impressive, i want to see how gear holds up after a full day in the rain and mud. My guess is that a lot of "weather resistant" gear would fail, while a photojournalist's top-of-the-line body would keep on going.
SORRY, WHAT WAS THAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF A YEAR OF DEPLOYED PHOTOJOURNALISM...

Name:  IMGP0388123123.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  195.4 KB

Name:  52.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  251323.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  89.2 KB

Name:  321317.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  213.0 KB

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 04-08-2016 at 05:29 AM.
03-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
SORRY, WHAT WAS THAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF A YEAR OF DEPLOYED PHOTOJOURNALISM...
Awesome!
03-29-2016, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SORRY, WHAT WAS THAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF A YEAR OF DEPLOYED PHOTOJOURNALISM..

-Heie

And, that my friends, is the rest of the story!
03-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Two or 3 years ago, I shot a full weekend 7 hours Saturday and 7 hours on Sunday with my new K5 and my DA*300 and new failed me. It rained from that Saturday morning when I got to the race track till I was leaving Friday afternoon and it never stopped. I'm still using the K5 as a backup camera and the DA*300 is my normal wildlife lens that I use.

Jim
03-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I've had my k30 in the mud and rain for up to a week at a stretch. Wash it off under the tap at home. Zero worries.

Certainly not as much abuse as Heie, but adds more data points.
03-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have spent some rough days on my treks in the jungle areas in the Philippines and have spent more than my share of water...too much water actually....with my K-30. Though I never dunk it in a pale of water, it seemed like it at times because I have been through some major downpours. Ever see Forrest Gump where they talk about Vietnam ? Big drops, sideways drops, drops bouncing up to hit you in the face. Typhoons are the worst with the addition of wind. Glad the water is warmer rain there. I was a little hesitant at first to be out in just a normal drizzle but in other times, what can you do. I would always go Pentax anyways so I would never be without a WR outfit and I am not sure how non-WR can handle it, even under plastic. Sometimes it water gets everywhere in certain conditions.
03-29-2016, 09:09 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5iis shot by a Canon 1Dx wearing a raincoat. Yes, both camera and (non-WR) lens still work fine.
Attached Images

03-30-2016, 12:25 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I've been shooting junior athletics & soccer with a K20D, K-5 & K-3 with a DA* 60-250/F4 lens since 2010. In heavy rain the deep lens hood on this lens works well as long as it's not too gusty.

However, after 1-2 hrs, with the internal volume change involved in continual zooming in & out, the lens will start to mist up. (At least for me, it does.) You need to get under cover, take the lens off, wipe the rear lens element and pump the zoom in & out a number to times to reduce the amount of moist air trapped inside the lens.

dosdan's Album: Fun in the Rain - PentaxForums.com

In the processing of shots taken in heavy rain, particularly from a distance (e.g. the discus shots in the album above), you need to boost the contrast and adjust the Black Point when developing the images in an attempt to cut through the murk.

Note: changing lenses in the rain is not a good idea. But if you have to do it, make sure the camera front is always facing down. If any rain spots get on the sensor, the dust/pollution in the rainwater is sufficient to leave spots on the sensor when it dries.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 03-30-2016 at 12:52 AM.
03-30-2016, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote

-Heie
You are probably one of the best ambassadeur of Pentax when comes to show to the entire world how well Pentax is built and in the same time your cameras are the proof that Pentax can work after some big abuses.

But this doesn't mean that 1Dx or D5 are not built for rough conditions or that they are not better weather sealed than Pentax current cameras. It's true that they cost as much as 8 or 10 Pentax K-3 II's, but for a few reasons (speed, durability, fast and precise tracking capabilities, etc.). Otherwise Pentax would have been the first choice for every outdoor photographer.

Here is a short video where you can see the conditions in which photographers takes pictures. I know is a marketing video, but I think those conditions are for real.