Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 06:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K-50 maximum payload?

I was wondering what was the maximum weight that a K-50 could support, without the need of a lens support?

03-31-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At a certain point you mount the lens to the tripod, and let the camera hang off. Probably that's when the lens weighs more than the camera...and that's how you'll wind up carrying such a combination anyway.
03-31-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure I have ever seen that published but like @TER-OR says if the lens is big enough that it has a tripod foot you use that not the camera tripod mount. For hand held, you should be supporting the lens with your hand. Basically if the lens is big enough think of it as holding a lens with a camera attached.

I am confident you do not have anything heavier than this: SMC Pentax-F* 250-600mm F5.6 ED [IF] Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database And they made that work.
03-31-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yep. big lenses tend to have their own tripod mount/handle. And even when I carry my K-01 with Samyang 14mm (where the lens is almost as big as the camera), I hold it by the mount, so I support the weight of both camera and lens. But honestly, the metal bayonet is pretty good, unless you put it at an odd angle and apply pressure. I wouldn't worry with normal lenses. Its something like DA 560mm or one of those big third party cameras where you might be worried, but in those cases just hold it by the lens. It will be more safe, more comfortable, there will be less motion/shake blur..

03-31-2016, 08:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yep. big lenses tend to have their own tripod mount/handle. And even when I carry my K-01 with Samyang 14mm (where the lens is almost as big as the camera), I hold it by the mount, so I support the weight of both camera and lens. But honestly, the metal bayonet is pretty good, unless you put it at an odd angle and apply pressure. I wouldn't worry with normal lenses. Its something like DA 560mm or one of those big third party cameras where you might be worried, but in those cases just hold it by the lens. It will be more safe, more comfortable, there will be less motion/shake blur..

My heaviest lens weights 980gr (Jupiter 21M).
03-31-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 84-5 Quote
My heaviest lens weights 980gr (Jupiter 21M).
Should be fine.
But for shooting I'd support the lens with your hand for stability.
03-31-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll find you will naturally support a 1kg lens with your hand anyway.
You can't one-hand a lens that size anyway - not with any degree of stability.

03-31-2016, 12:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
You'll find you will naturally support a 1kg lens with your hand anyway.

You can't one-hand a lens that size anyway - not with any degree of stability.

That I always do, I usually put my hand flat open under the barrel. I was worried because of prying sounds coming from the mount, turned out it was coming from my Chinese made m42 adapter. I bought a vintage Japanese made adapter, which seems to be way more tight fit, and the prying sound is gone.
03-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This all brings up an interesting question..
If the lens is large enough for a tripod collar, and we shouldn't let the weight bare down on the lens mount when on a tripod, should we also consider connecting our straps (Neck/Sling) to the tripod collar of the lens?

Example. If I'm walking around with my K-3ii and DA*300 attached, should I point one connection to the lens collar and the other connection to the camera body (distribute the weight evenly?)
Or both strap connections to the Body... Both connections to the lens?

When I walk through the woods I have one hand holding the K-3ii now, with the DA*300 hanging below. I am not running or swaying the camera around so the weight is fairly centered.
I also am currently using a wrist strap as well. Most of a precaution in case something does slip out of my hand, I have 'insurance'.
03-31-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
If the lens is large enough for a tripod collar, and we shouldn't let the weight bare down on the lens mount when on a tripod, should we also consider connecting our straps (Neck/Sling) to the tripod collar of the lens?
I don't think I would enjoy hanging a 1kg lens+camera on my neck, regardless of the fine points of weight distribution..
03-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't think I would enjoy hanging a 1kg lens+camera on my neck, regardless of the fine points of weight distribution..
What about off your shoulder like a rifle sling?

I have paracord, maybe I'll tie something up this weekend to see how it feels.

I really like the Peak Design stuff, but don't wanna drop $70 if I'm not gonna use it...
03-31-2016, 06:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally, I really wouldn't go over a 300mm zoom. If you have a good tripod/head it's less of an issue, but with cheaper tripods the zooms that cap at 300mm tend to creep down. So I'd say anything 300mm or above for zooms or primes "should" use a lens collar mount if available, if not for weight reasons on the camera mount itself, but at least to prevent creep.
04-01-2016, 05:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
What about off your shoulder like a rifle sling?
Touche. I think there are some solutions for big rigs, mostly used for filming. Some are like seat-belts, with cords that can release easily. I forget which brand makes them, but its out there. I think most of these attach through a plate on the bottom of the camera or lens
04-01-2016, 05:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Touche. I think there are some solutions for big rigs, mostly used for filming. Some are like seat-belts, with cords that can release easily. I forget which brand makes them, but its out there. I think most of these attach through a plate on the bottom of the camera or lens
Yeah, here's the Peak Design Slide:
https://www.peakdesign.com/slide?

This is far more useful that a typical camera strap.
The anchor design makes this extremely versatile and is rated to 200lbs.
04-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I strongly suspect that, at least for a handheld shot, the camera lens mount can support more weight than you can. If you're trying to hold the camera with both hands on the camera body, rather than the lens, with a very long lens, it is going to be very difficult for you to hold. With even a 200mm lens, I doubt that you could hold it steady enough to get a decent shot at anything less than 1/1000 second.

For tripod mounted shots, as other have said, if the lens has a tripod mount, use it.

As for neckstraps, with the strap attached to the camera only, the camera will lay against your chest, with the lens pointing at your feet. This puts very little stress on the lens mount, so I wouldn't worry about it. It might be uncomfortable, but it isn't going to damage the lens or camera.

I made a shoulder sling for my camera. I got some one inch strapping material and a buckle for it. I cut to an appropriate length for my torso. I added a large (1 1/2 inch) key ring over the strap and slipped it through the strap lug on the camera. Now, I can carry the camera with the strap over my right shoulder and under my left arm. This allows the camera to ride under my left arm when not in use. This also offers it a little protection in the form of my left arm.

To use the camera, I reach back with my left arm and bring the camera to my eye. I learned, way back in the sixties, with my Spotmatic, to support the camera with my left hand under the camera, while my right hand stabilizes the camera and operates the controls. With a long, heavy lens, my left hand shifts forward so that it supports the lens.