Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd probably pair an older FA 28-105 f/3.5-5.6 (IF) (with hood) or its F series predecessor with the K-S2. You might not be able to get a kit like that, but you can do body and used lens and save quite a bit. While the F/FA 28-105 might not be as wide or as long as the 18-135, it is highly usable as a general purpose walkaround lens. However, being FF glass, you lose out on a bit of wide angle field of view. Since it's not designed for aps-c, the effective FOV of the lens would be considered roughly 42-157.5mm. Still a great lens. As for the K-50 vs K-S2, I love my K-50 to death, but my recommendation is definitely with the K-S2 for its specs and features. Whether or not that body will suffer from the same aperture issue as K-30/K-50 only time will tell.

04-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I own a k-s2 and the only thing I envy a k-50 having is composition adjust. And the money saved.
04-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #18

Personally I like the AA battery option that comes with the K50. It was a deciding factor in my decision to purchase it, though I recognize that may very well be a niche preference amongst Pentaxians.
04-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrAtClIF Quote
Personally I like the AA battery option that comes with the K50. It was a deciding factor in my decision to purchase it, though I recognize that may very well be a niche preference amongst Pentaxians.
Invaluable when you haven't got access to a power source for a long time, or need to do a lot of continuous shooting and haven't time to change batteries, or if you like the camera to have a little extra heft. But otherwise, a couple of spare DLi109 batteries is a lightweight solution (59g v about 120g for 4xAA batteries and adapter) and (even with a spare DC charger) cheaper than an adapter, two sets of Eneloop Pluses and a decent charger.

04-03-2016, 12:47 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
Hi Folks,

I recently came back to Pentax with a K50 and 55-300 WR. I'm very happy with this combination. For stills, it's hard to beat!

However, I now "need" another lens, almost certainly the 18-135 WR. Knowing the way I am about changing lenses, I will want another body for this lens. Once again, I find myself comparing the merits of the K50 and the KS2. When purchased with the 18-135mm, there is less than $150 difference in price.

Fortunately, the price is not a problem for me, but I note the KS2 is a little heavier,

supposedly has a grip that is not quite as good, is not as comfortable with big lenses, etc,. I like cameras that are fun to use. The vari angle LCD is a nice feature, but not important to me.

Forgetting price, can anyone give me any reasons to buy the KS2 instead of another K50? Maybe the video is a tad better? Any comments appreciated.

Jack
A heavier body will balance a slightly heavier lens better, A lighter body will make the Body-Lens combination front heavy causing pain while holding for prolonged periods.
07-27-2016, 08:26 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-S2 is a more modern camera overall. You get better image quality, faster screwdrive AF, more accurate low-light AF, faster live view AF, an improved menu, faster everyday speed, wi-fi, and more processing options. The main disadvantage of the K-S2 is the smaller grip; in other areas I'd consider it a direct upgrade over the K-50.

And the K-S2 has the TAv mode !
07-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
And the K-S2 has the TAv mode !
The K-50 has TAv too. Pretty much every Pentax camera launched in past years does, in fact. If it's not on the mode dial, it's activated via M mode with auto ISO on.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-50 has TAv too. Pretty much every Pentax camera launched in past years does, in fact. If it's not on the mode dial, it's activated via M mode with auto ISO on.
Ho! ok, Thanks for the info...
I did not physically played with those bodies, I just saw that info under this link (Pentax K-S2 vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com) I noticed the difference, but did not know more about that feature on the K-50
Actually, I placed a more specific question about that comparison here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/326743-camera-ne...-100-more.html