Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Closest thing to a K1000 in simplicity and ease of use. Doesn't require a 300-page manual to get a photo out of it. Doesn't have to be a million megapixels. Doesn't weigh a ton. Isn't going to brick because of some hidden software glitch. I love the straightforward simplicity of the all-manual K1000, and am looking for something that won't be so complicated to use that I get fed up with it.
The way Pentax cameras are laid out, they are as complicated or as simple as you want them to be. If you want simple, you just ignore the buttons you don't want to use.

I like simplicity, too, that is why I suggested something like a K-S2 or K10D. I don't have a K-S2 but for a K1000 like experience I would:

- Set the "User Aperture Ring" setting to "Yes" (do that once and it's set now for the life of the camera
- Set the ISO to whatever you want it (fixed ISO). When you want to, change the ISO, it's easier than changing film and has about the same effect

Now that you have these things set up, set your camera to M (manual). Your shutter speed should be at the front wheel (if it is not you can set it up to be at the wheel where you'd like). Your ISO is already set, or you can change it if you want it to. Then change your aperture with the aperture ring. The green button will set the aperture speed according to the light in the scene and you can change according to your needs. You can even turn the screen review off to simulate a more film-like experience (screen review is the camera showing the photo you just took on the display after you've taken it).

Now for an even more K1000 like experience, you can use lenses that have an A setting (Pentax-A, Pentax-FA, Pentax-DA, Pentax-DFA or equivalent 3rd party lens). If you do that, the K10D and other higher quality cameras will give you the exposure reading at the bottom of your viewfinder, and you will know if you are over or below the optimal exposure - just like the needle in your K1000. Unfortunately older Pentax-K and Pentax-M can't do that with Pentax DSLRs - and you have to set the lens on A and change the aperture in the 2nd wheel (rather than with the aperture ring).

I actually happen to use my K10D mostly in that way...

QuoteQuote:
I have a Latitude D610 laptop. What would I need to get photos off a DSLR onto it? Or could I swap the card into the Optio which is already set up?
I suggest taking pictures in RAW and using software to develop. It's not that hard - it does take a little bit of time but still less than going to the store to drop off and pick up your film

I use Corel Aftershot Pro and it also can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. I have some presets that I just click and voilą, the development is done and all I have to do is export the picture. I can even do a batch export of an entire folder. Version 3 is out and it's not expensive - 79 dollars. But there's some free options as well, though I don't know if they are quite as user friendly. And there's Lightroom which is the most feature-rich RAW developer, but it's also expensive (you pay per month so the initial investment is small but after a year you've already paid quite a bit more than you would pay for similar software from a store).

06-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, thanks in part to all the help here, I just won a K-x on eBay By the time I get batteries etc. it will probably wind up being a little more than I wanted to pay, but... it's still not a $500 camera. Doesn't come with a manual. They are $30???! But, it's got a kit lens too so I can mess with that before I try putting my "good" lenses on it -- haha.
Hopefully it will not reappear on eBay or here in the marketplace in a few months.
If it has an SDHC card in it, can I just put the card in this thing to get the pictures off it?
Verbatim® Pocket Card Reader | Staples®
Should I just go straight for an Eneloop battery/charger set rather than other brands?
Other advice?
Really appreciate all you guys helping with the noob questions
06-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Well, thanks in part to all the help here, I just won a K-x on eBay By the time I get batteries etc. it will probably wind up being a little more than I wanted to pay, but... it's still not a $500 camera. Doesn't come with a manual. They are $30???! But, it's got a kit lens too so I can mess with that before I try putting my "good" lenses on it -- haha.
Hopefully it will not reappear on eBay or here in the marketplace in a few months.
If it has an SDHC card in it, can I just put the card in this thing to get the pictures off it?
Verbatim® Pocket Card Reader | Staples®
Should I just go straight for an Eneloop battery/charger set rather than other brands?
Other advice?
Really appreciate all you guys helping with the noob questions
Are you planning on using manual focus lenses with the K-x? The viewfinder is small and dim. We have a K-r which is a good camera for my wife since she doesn't do manual focus (it has the same small viewfinder that the K-x has).

You can just shoot JPEG with your AF lens (or lenses if you decide to get more) and the pictures in your SD card will be ready for viewing and sharing as soon as you put the card in your computer. The JPEG engine in the K-x, if it is like the K-r, is quite good.
06-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Are you planning on using manual focus lenses with the K-x? The viewfinder is small and dim.
Yeah... that was mentioned. For the price, it 's a compromise. Will see how it goes. My lenses are A, AF, FA and F. So some will work.... I did look at a chart of what lenses worked with what a little while ago. Will look for it again. I'll play with the kit lens till I get going. Have to find a manual somewhere first. I refuse to read 300+ pages on the computer my eyes are already bothered by too much screen time.