Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What's the closest DSLR to a K1000?

Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere.... I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for.
I'm being forced out of film because the last store within 2.5 hours from me is no longer developing film. I adore my K1000, but it's starting to look like I will have to get something else.
I have a wee Optio that I use for work, but would really like something that will give me more control over depth of field. I would like to be able to use my K mount lenses. One is completely manual, a couple are AF, but I've never used any of the auto functions.
What body would be the closest in features to a K1000, that would let me use them, including the all-manual ones?
I don't really want to spend hundreds either....
Advice appreciated; thank you.

03-31-2016, 10:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Bummer than the closest store for you to develop film closed down. Have you thought about mailing film somewhere to get developed? There's this site I found that list's places that develop film (Photo Labs and Darkrooms ? I shoot film.), though I would see if there's any review's for whatever place you choose.

As far DSLR's go, they all will accept pretty much any and every Kmount lens made from 1975 till now (though there may be some limits/issues with some specific lenses, others here on the forum are more knowledgeable on that).

If you are ok will getting a used DSLR, you can try the Marketplace here on the forums, or if anything go to keh.com and see what they have there that may fit your budget.
03-31-2016, 10:44 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax DSLRs are really all the same as far as lens compatibility goes. All K-mount lenses are supported; manual lenses without an "A" setting require stop-down metering for the camera to set the correct shutter speed.

If you'd like to maintain the same field of view and have a similar viewfinder size, your only choice would be the full-frame K-1.

Otherwise I'd recommend the K-50. It's affordable (<$299 new), has dual control wheels, good image quality, and a comfortable grip. I wouldn't opt for an older body unless the K-50 is outside of your budget.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-31-2016, 11:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would agree with Adam on the K-50. Is the lab you're referring to Atlantic Photo Supply in Halifax?

04-01-2016, 01:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Is there a Shoppers Drug Mart near you that will send it out? That's what I use, at least until such time as I can get hold of chemistry for doing C41 at home. I have already started home developing B&W (materials from Henry's online).

Otherwise, yeah, what they said.

For dirt simple bodies, I loved the *istDL, but the low light performance was nothing to write home about and I do not think it would go below ISO 200. Get something more modern.
04-01-2016, 01:58 AM   #6

I recall Herbert Keppler referring to the K100d as the digital K1000.

The 6.1 mp Sony-CCD sensor has been praised by many as having qualities which render film-like exposures. It has a top LCD, is ultra reliable, very comfortable to hold, and will take AA batteries.

I have the original version & the Super model which followed. They just keep on ticking!
04-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The most film-like digital camera I have tried was the Epson R-D1. It was a wonderful experience. A manual wind lever to cock the shutter. A simple shutter speed dial with lift and turn for ISO setting. The top deck needle display indicated shots left on card, white balance, and quality (just RAW and 2 JPEG settings). You could even reverse the rear LCD and shoot away pretending it wasn't even there.
Of course, the R-D1 was an M-mount rangefinder, and it sadly didn't evolve past the 6 megapixel era. A very likeable concept for the push-button averse photographer.
Nikon currently has their Df, with manual knobs and dials hearkening back to the classic film SLR look. They've even kept video functions off it.
Is it like a K-1000? Hardly. It's still a pretty complex camera, and like any DSLR, has oodles of menus and settings, and customizations that make life a lot more complicated than a K-1000 and a bag of Tri-X.

I still hope for a time when we can customize our cameras via "apps", rather than having them come from the factory packed with useless features (I mean, when's the last time you used white balance bracketing, really?).
So then maybe you could have a K-1000 "app" that essentially pares the camera down to the barest essentials.

For the time being, we have to accept that the current DSLRs come stuffed with modes, functions, options, features, and custom settings that sometimes get in the way of the essential photography experience.

04-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Nikon currently has their Df, with manual knobs and dials hearkening back to the classic film SLR look. They've even kept video functions off it.
Is it like a K-1000? Hardly. It's still a pretty complex camera, and like any DSLR, has oodles of menus and settings, and customizations that make life a lot more complicated than a K-1000 and a bag of Tri-X.
On that aspect, I think the DF even has the mechanical aperture linkage enabling the camera to use early bayonet mount lenses from Nikon's past, equivalent to an uncrippled mount on a Pentax.

Fuji cameras have lenses which use aperture rings, they have knobs as opposed to dials, and the x-trans sensors give an interesting color look. The in-camera jpeg engine even has a slew of film stock simulations if you want that film look without having to process raw files. The cool thing is you can even pop some of your old Pentax lenses on the camera via adapter and shoot away. The downsides: No optical viewfinder, unless you get the X-Pro-1 which has a hybrid Rangefinder/EVF. The ergonomics are rangefinder rather than SLR if that bothers you. Still, I think Fuji makes the best camera that reproduces that feeling of using film.
04-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere.... I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for.
I'm being forced out of film because the last store within 2.5 hours from me is no longer developing film. I adore my K1000, but it's starting to look like I will have to get something else.
I have a wee Optio that I use for work, but would really like something that will give me more control over depth of field. I would like to be able to use my K mount lenses. One is completely manual, a couple are AF, but I've never used any of the auto functions.
What body would be the closest in features to a K1000, that would let me use them, including the all-manual ones?
I don't really want to spend hundreds either....
Advice appreciated; thank you.
Try sending your film to Dwayne's... they are world reknowned. Alternatively, try developing at home. Almost if not everything you need can be obtained from the people at Film Photography Project. I just ordered a C-41 kit from them (still in transit) but b/w developing is a piece of cake. If you like film, you don't have to switch unless you just don't want to mess with home development or mailing order development.
04-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Try sending your film to Dwayne's... they are world reknowned. Alternatively, try developing at home. Almost if not everything you need can be obtained from the people at Film Photography Project. I just ordered a C-41 kit from them (still in transit) but b/w developing is a piece of cake. If you like film, you don't have to switch unless you just don't want to mess with home development or mailing order development.
Some of those supplies are cheaper at B&H, so it's worth shopping around.
04-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Alliecat. It's a shame you are being forced away from your K1000. I agree with several replies about mailing the film to be developed. Mainly because you will not be able to find a similar experience to the K1000 on a DSLR. They are simply too different. A few things that will hopefully clarify what I' trying to say:
- If you want to use your manual lens and keep the same "real" focal length, as Adam said, you would have to go with a full frame sensor (in the case of Pentax that would be the recently launched K1 at a price of $1600 if I recall correctly). You need full frame as otherwise your focal length would be multiplied by approximately 1.5 as regular DSLR use a smaller sensor (hence the image is cropped).
- It seems to me the K1 is not within the price range you had in mind, so let's stick to "regular" DSLR. First thing to keep in mind is that all your lenses' focal length will be x1.5 longer. If you have a nice manual 50mm, that will become a (approximately) 75mm on the DSLR.
- That said, any DSLR will give you the control you have on the K1000 (that is: Aperture and Time + ISO and WB which you'd control through the film). Just ignore the rest of settings and features and shoot RAW.
- On the AF lenses you will no longer use the Aperture ring. On the manual one, assuming it doesn't have an A setting, you will still use the aperture ring but the experience is horrible (more on this further down).
- I'm pretty certain any Pentax DSLR will take your K mount lenses (can anyone confirm this?). The AF ones will also benefit from AF (could be wrong here but both my Pentax DSLR have the AF screw. These are a K5 and a K50).
- Bear in mind that even though it will take your manual lens, if the lens doesn't have an A setting the metering becomes a horrible experience on the DSLR. Not sure if all Pentax DSLR support it but you need to press a button that stops down the lens and the camera takes a reading and adjusts the exposure time accordingly. If the light changes you either "guess" and adjust without metering or you take another reading. There is essentially no light metering on non A lenses. I bought my K5 to use my M lenses and I find I use them a lot less than I expected because of this.
- Another reason I not using my M lenses as much as I thought on the DSLR is focusing. The K1000 might not have the best focusing screen (I like my LX's split screen better) but it is way better than nothing at all. That's what you get on a DSLR, a matte focusing screen which IMHO is horrible for manual focusing. Yes, the camera will show the "in focus" light when subject is focused, but not at all the same experience as manually focusing on a K1000. And what really surprised me is there is no real support for exchangeable focusing screens. Changing the focusing screen on a Pentax DSLR is pretty much a DIY project that may or may not give you the results you expect. Needless to say I'm not touching my K5, as much as I hate the flat matte focusing screen.
- DSLRs have a problem: you can see the image right away. Might sound great but it will force you to retake pictures that you'd normally not repeat and when you can shoot a few hundred pictures in a day or two the magic is gone. I try to use small SD cards to keep me from ending up with hundreds of useless pictures I wouldn't take if I were on film.
- Forget about not having to worry about battery for a year or two. You'll probably need to recharge your battery every time you take the DSLR out. And if the battery runs out the camera is dead, unlike the K1000 with which you can keep shooting without the meter.
- If you love the K1000 you must love the way it feels. That too is something you will not find on a DSLR.
- Finally, one of the things I love about the K1000 and I assume so do you: the needle meter. Say goodbye to that... :-(

Bottomline:
- If you love shooting the K1000 try everything possible to keep shooting that. Mailing the film would be a good solution. Developing yourself is another option (not hard if you shoot B&W).
- If you must get a DSLR, I would suggest you go with a second hand body. I wouldn't even bother getting a lens if you plan on using the ones you already have. Spend as little as possible and see how you feel about it. Then you can upgrade if you think it is worth it. Image quality wise I think it is safe to say any DSLR will give you good results.
- Whatever you do, do not sell or get rid of your K1000. Treasure it (just like Gollum). The K1000 was the first camera I ever used. My mother taught me how to use it when I was a little kid and to this day she regrets having sold hers (even after I recently bought her another one). And truth be told, she stopped all her photography work shortly after selling it. She simply never got used to or liked the feel of the more advance automatic (still film) cameras. And I can't blame her, the K1000 is absolutely great and a joy to shoot.

I hope this helps!
04-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You can find an older Pentax DSLR for little money, and use it like a K1000 until its more advanced feature win you over. I would suggest an *ist DS or a K100d, regular or Super. I bet you could find either for around $100, maybe less. The two things you will regret are the nice needle meter and the big viewscreen on the K1000; but there are so many advantages to a digital DSLR. I finally sold off/ donated my film gear when I realized I was better served by my digital camera.
04-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all the comments! It's great how quickly people answer questions here I appreciate you all chiming in to help.
Unfortunately mailing film gets pretty stupid-expensive thanks to Canada Post's parcel rates. There is a Shoppers that will send film away, but due to travel logistics this requires either making 2 long trips or finding someone to drop off/pick up for me. I'd love to be able to develop at home... but don't have the time right now to deal with it (24/7 care of elderly invalid). Also, getting chemicals and disposing of them might be a bit of a problem; this is an isolated area. Someday when I can travel again, I will be able to take film for processing. For now, I'd like to be able to get K1000-quality photos for my doll photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Try sending your film to Dwayne's...
That sounded good, and small packet postage to the States is way cheaper than Canada... but then I came across their $25 Canadian-shipping charge.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Otherwise I'd recommend the K-50. It's affordable (<$299 new), ....
Goodness, where?? On a first look, best I could find was $500+ CAD.
Yes, the K1 is just way more than I would spend on a camera I'm not sure I really "want" anyway. I don't know which bodies are older, because the model numbers make no sense to me... is there a chronology of 'K' digitals somewhere?
I'm not in a hurry ... I could wait for a cheap one, of whatever model.

QuoteOriginally posted by miguelfenoglio Quote
You need full frame as otherwise your focal length would be multiplied by approximately 1.5 as regular DSLR use a smaller sensor (hence the image is cropped)....
So is what you see on the screen the cropped image, though?

Just ignore the rest of settings and features and shoot RAW.
Noob questions, never understood the whole RAW/JPEG thing... other than that RAW is really big files... What's wrong with shooting JPEG, in a nutshell?

Not sure if all Pentax DSLR support it but you need to press a button that stops down the lens and the camera takes a reading and adjusts the exposure time accordingly.
Well, OK... I guess I'd be reminded to do that when the first pic I shot was crap...
I have an F, an A, an AF and an FA lens. So it sounds like I could use 3 of them without too much hassle.

- Forget about not having to worry about battery for a year or two. You'll probably need to recharge your battery every time you take the DSLR out. And if the battery runs out the camera is dead, unlike the K1000 with which you can keep shooting without the meter.
Ugh, that sounds like a PITA. One handy thing about the wee Optio I have for work is that although it sucks battery juice like mad, I just pop in another, & put the spent ones in the charger when I'm done. I don't want to go through zillions of non-rechargeable AA batteries (thinking of a friend's camera, although I think there was something wrong with it)... so something that could be easily recharged (can you swap a battery or do you have to leave them in the camera to recharge -- I know this varies, maybe dumb question).

- If you must get a DSLR, I would suggest you go with a second hand body. I wouldn't even bother getting a lens if you plan on using the ones you already have. Spend as little as possible and see how you feel about it. Then you can upgrade if you think it is worth it.
Great advice, and exactly what I was thinking of doing.

- DSLRs have a problem: you can see the image right away. Might sound great but it will force you to retake pictures that you'd normally not repeat and when you can shoot a few hundred pictures in a day or two the magic is gone.
Heh. I really do enjoy the challenge of getting it right with one shot. Or a few. And having to shoot dozens to get one good one with my little Optio, I agree -- it's not the same fun at all. Digital to me feels less organic-process and more like just programming the VCR.

- Whatever you do, do not sell or get rid of your K1000.
Never, ever, EVER, EVER (Preciousss...)!!! It's like my right arm. I can see from your comments that you and your mom both appreciate this great camera. Thanks for taking time to write so much
04-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Goodness, where?? On a first look, best I could find was $500+ CAD. Yes, the K1 is just way more than I would spend on a camera I'm not sure I really "want" anyway. I don't know which bodies are older, because the model numbers make no sense to me... is there a chronology of 'K' digitals somewhere? I'm not in a hurry ... I could wait for a cheap one, of whatever model.
Here you go:
Pentax K-50 Digital SLR Camera Body Black - B&H Photo Video

You even get a free SD card. Shipping to Canada is $30-45 with all fees included.

Here's a chronological listing of K-mount DSLRs:
Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

I wouldn't bother with anything older than the K-5. See also our specs comparison tool:
Pentax K-1 vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-S2 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2016, 11:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the links, Adam! I will have a look at the listings and comparison pages. Appreciate your help.
That K-50 would be $400 CAD. I'll wait around a bit...