Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Years ago I put a split-focus screen in my K10, and it worked nicely with manual lenses. If you have enough light that camera is tough to beat.
Otherwise, I say go straight to a K5 or K5II if you don't want to pay for the K3 series.

06-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I don't know if this was made very clear yet, though it was mentioned, but on any Pentax DSLR except for the new K-1, all your lenses will have a "crop factor", meaning, only the center of the image will be used, and your lenses become "longer" because the sensor is smaller than the size of the film you are used to....
I got that, kind of, although I didn't know by how much it would be cropped. My lenses range from 19 to 300; my main lens is a 35-105. Maybe I'd use the widest-angle one more then.
Ah, KEH! I knew there was another shop I'd looked at in the past besides BH, and had forgotten the name. Thanks.
I've been trawling around eBay for K5's, but will go have a look at reviews & prices for K10Ds.
Geez, the model numbers. You'd think a "100" would have more megapixels than a "10"...
I also looked at a K-x which has movie mode, which I might also make use of (currently using my wee Optio for movies and it's been very-much-used so I don't know how much life is left in it).
Also I'd prefer to have one with a rechargeable battery so I'm not using tons of AAs. (Would you get much time out of rechargeable AAs?)
Back to the specs comparison page.
Thank you for the input Appreciate everyone's comments.

Last edited by Alliecat; 06-01-2016 at 11:30 PM.
06-02-2016, 06:26 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
I got that, kind of, although I didn't know by how much it would be cropped. My lenses range from 19 to 300; my main lens is a 35-105. Maybe I'd use the widest-angle one more then.
Just remember to multiply by 1.5. So your 19mm will feel like a 28mm would feel on film. Your 35mm becomes a 52.5mm (which is actually about what Pentax 50s are, 52mm). Your 35-105 becomes a 52-160mm or so.

QuoteQuote:
Ah, KEH! I knew there was another shop I'd looked at in the past besides BH, and had forgotten the name. Thanks.
I've been trawling around eBay for K5's, but will go have a look at reviews & prices for K10Ds.
Geez, the model numbers. You'd think a "100" would have more megapixels than a "10"...

Then the K-1 would have hardly any pixels at all?

Here's something that will help you see what is higher vs. lower end in terms of features/build, and what is older and what is newer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Pentax_digital_interchangeable_lens_cameras

QuoteQuote:
I also looked at a K-x which has movie mode, which I might also make use of (currently using my wee Optio for movies and it's been very-much-used so I don't know how much life is left in it).
The problem with some entry level cameras like the K-x, K-r, K-m/K2000, K-200D etc, is that they have smaller pentamirror viewfinder - not just smaller but also dimmer. Newer entry models like the K-500 and the K-S1 don't have that problem, they have the same big pentaprism viewfinders that their more upscale siblings have. But on those models I mentioned, that is something to pay attention to, since you will want to focus manual lenses with your camera.

If you could swing a newer camera like the K-S2, it has the same great pentaprism as the K-3 series (which was upgraded from the K-5/K-30/K-50 prism). It also has a great sensor, Wi-fi, a tilt screen, dual wheels and other great features. For 499 which is what it is selling for right now, it is a whole lot of camera for little money. But if you can't swing that, an older K-5 will cost you around 300, and the K10D 100-150 depending on condition. All of these will give you good results and have nice viewfinders (for APS-C cameras - don't expect the same level viewfinder you are used to in your film cameras... only the K-1 comes close to that...)
QuoteQuote:
Also I'd prefer to have one with a rechargeable battery so I'm not using tons of AAs. (Would you get much time out of rechargeable AAs?)
Back to the specs comparison page.
Thank you for the input Appreciate everyone's comments.
Rechargeable AAs, if you get good ones, will last you longer than a regular camera battery, from what I heard. But I haven't used them so I don't really know... I just use regular batteries on my K-r, and the K10D doesn't take AAs.

And you are very welcome
06-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's true - a set of GOOD rechargeable batteries (Eneloops) can last longer than the smaller Li-109 battery used by the K-r/30/50/500 (also used by the K-S1/S2, but they don't have an AA option). I haven't tried the black Eneloop Pros, but they are supposed to be even better. Eneloops cost more, but in my experience, the cheap rechargeable AAs you find in big box retail stores don't last as long and wear out faster (especially if you use a rapid charger that makes them hot to the touch).

Unless you use a grip, there isn't an AA option for bodies that use the larger Li-90 battery (K-7/5/5ii/5iis/3/3ii/1), but for them, you are probably better off putting a second Li-90 in the grip.

06-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere.... I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for.
I'm being forced out of film because the last store within 2.5 hours from me is no longer developing film. I adore my K1000, but it's starting to look like I will have to get something else.
I have a wee Optio that I use for work, but would really like something that will give me more control over depth of field. I would like to be able to use my K mount lenses. One is completely manual, a couple are AF, but I've never used any of the auto functions.
What body would be the closest in features to a K1000, that would let me use them, including the all-manual ones?
I don't really want to spend hundreds either....
Advice appreciated; thank you.
If you are actually "east of everywhere, Canada", Newfoundland Camera Imaging in Churchill Square still develops film.

NFLD Camera - store services
06-04-2016, 11:10 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It's true - a set of GOOD rechargeable batteries (Eneloops) can last longer than the smaller Li-109 battery used by the K-r/30/50/500 ....
And maybe easier to get, or cheaper than buying spare manufacturer-specific batteries? My Optio batteries are good for somewhere between 50 and 100 pictures, it seems! I'm always recharging them.

Just remember to multiply by 1.5. So your 19mm will feel like a 28mm would feel on film. ......

The problem with some entry level cameras like the K-x, K-r, K-m/K2000, K-200D etc, is that they have smaller pentamirror viewfinder - not just smaller but also dimmer. .. But on those models I mentioned, that is something to pay attention to, since you will want to focus manual lenses with your camera.

Rechargeable AAs, if you get good ones, will last you longer than a regular camera battery, from what I heard. But I haven't used them so I don't really know... I just use regular batteries on my K-r, and the K10D doesn't take AAs.
That's all helpful too; thanks! I appreciate all the help.
Sigh, I just want to use my K1000 forever...
I'm so crosseyed from hopping back & forth between eBay, KEH, other camera stores and the specs pages here, that I'm going to have to quit for the night.
Dang, the K10D doesn't have movie mode; if I'm going to get one of these monsters I'd at least like to have that too.
Sooooo confusing...

I had to google "focus peaking" which I see on the specs page. A missspelling of "peeking"? What's the difference between that and DoF preview?

Also, while googling around at reviews, I saw where someone had put a non-Pentax K-mount lens on a K-x, it didn't work and they couldn't get it off! Which reminded me my 19-35 is a Tokina... would that be an issue? Can you use other K-mount lenses on these things?
(Geez, I feel like such an ignoramus. This is why I never wanted to go digital! )

Last edited by Alliecat; 06-04-2016 at 11:31 PM.
06-05-2016, 03:36 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

And maybe easier to get, or cheaper than buying spare manufacturer-specific batteries? My Optio batteries are good for somewhere between 50 and 100 pictures, it seems! I'm always recharging them.

That's all helpful too; thanks! I appreciate all the help.
Sigh, I just want to use my K1000 forever...
I'm so crosseyed from hopping back & forth between eBay, KEH, other camera stores and the specs pages here, that I'm going to have to quit for the night.
Dang, the K10D doesn't have movie mode; if I'm going to get one of these monsters I'd at least like to have that too.
Sooooo confusing...

I had to google "focus peaking" which I see on the specs page. A missspelling of "peeking"? What's the difference between that and DoF preview?

Also, while googling around at reviews, I saw where someone had put a non-Pentax K-mount lens on a K-x, it didn't work and they couldn't get it off! Which reminded me my 19-35 is a Tokina... would that be an issue? Can you use other K-mount lenses on these things?
(Geez, I feel like such an ignoramus. This is why I never wanted to go digital! )
When shooting at or below -10C, which I do a lot, I usually use rechargeable 2300mAh AAs as I can carry warm spares under my jacket easily. Or use the LI90 first and carry warm AA spares. Never had a problem that way.

Video is not Pentax's strong suit at anywhere but the very top of the line and even there there are better alternatives. Basic family/facebook videos are OK.

Focus peaking (which is NOT available on a K5 BTW) gives you a visual representation of in focus edges on the Live View screen. Makes manual focus of still targets easy.

There is also the "Catch in Focus" trick you can use with manual lenses on all levels of Pentax DSLR cameras which is discussed here Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com .

Last edited by jgnfld; 06-05-2016 at 07:33 AM.
06-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And maybe easier to get, or cheaper than buying spare manufacturer-specific batteries?
Yeah, you can find Eneloops at any decent camera store or battery specialty store. A D-Li109 or D-li90 is going to require mail-order (the Wasabi 3rd-party batteries are fairly popular).

Sooooo confusing...
Video appeared with the K-7 in high-end bodies, and the K-x in entry/midrange. If you look at the PF DSLR review page, bodies are listed newest-to-oldest, so that's everything above the K-7. Of course, the newer you go, the more advanced the video features, although Pentax' video capabilities lag far behind Canon/Sony/Panasonic (all of whom have a lot more experience making video cameras, which they incorporate into their image processors. Pentax buys their image processor from Fujitsu/SocioNext.)

No, it really is "peaking". Focus peaking appeared in the K-01/K-30/K-3 and works in LiveView only, not the viewfinder. Basically, it displays a white highlight on the points (or "peaks") of greatest contrast. As you crank the lens back and forth, you get these lines of white dots that move over the image, and show you the area of greatest contrast which (hopefully) is in focus.

Your Tokina should be fine. The problem is the dreaded "Ricoh pin". In the 80s, Ricoh made their own attempt at an auto-exposure K mount, and added a pin to communicate between their bodies and Rikenon-P lenses. Unfortunately, they put the pin almost exactly where Pentax would later put the screwdrive gear for auto-focus lenses. Now, in most Rikenon-P lenses, the pin is rounded and doesn't cause trouble, but in some 80s-era 3rd party manual focus lenses, usually marked for K/R mount, the pin has a blunt end and can catch in the hole for the screwdrive gear and be a bear to get loose.
06-05-2016, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Complicated answers, complicated cameras. I've tried a bunch and sadly
the short answer is that there is no digital camera like your Pentax K1000.

If Pentax or any other manufacturer marketed a digital that offers the creative
control of a K1000 with the same simplified control set they'd sell a million.
It seems they just haven't thought of this yet...

Chris
06-05-2016, 10:00 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Complicated answers, complicated cameras. I've tried a bunch and sadly
the short answer is that there is no digital camera like your Pentax K1000.
Ain't that the truth
Honestly, it gets worse... if I bought a K-anything secondhand, of course there would be bits & pieces lacking, like batteries, chargers, manuals, etc. ... but then it occurred to me, do you have to have software to get the pictures off it? or off the card?

Here is the sum total of my digital experience: an Optio RS1500, which came with a CD. I put the CD in the computer, installed the program, and now I just plug the camera into the 'puter and it does its thing. If I get a DSLR, do I need to have some more gadgetry/software to get the photos off the card...??
DUH...
Also, can someone point me to a link that explains what all the exposure modes on the specs page mean? e.g. "Green, HyP, Sv, Av, Tv, TAv, HyM, X, B, User(1)"
06-06-2016, 01:28 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

then it occurred to me, do you have to have software to get the pictures off it? or off the card?
Here is the sum total of my digital experience: an Optio RS1500, which came with a CD. I put the CD in the computer, installed the program, and now I just plug the camera into the 'puter and it does its thing. If I get a DSLR, do I need to have some more gadgetry/software to get the photos off the card...??
If you shoot jpeg files straight from the camera, not really. But digital processing is much like fiddling around in a darkroom - only quicker, cheaper, more powerful and a lot less smelly
QuoteQuote:
Also, can someone point me to a link that explains what all the exposure modes on the specs page mean? e.g. "Green, HyP, Sv, Av, Tv, TAv, HyM, X, B, User(1)"
Warning: simplistic

Green = point-and-shoot idiot mode. It won't be your thing if you're coming from a K1000
Av = Aperture priority. You set the aperture and ISO and the automatic exposure decides on the shutter speed.
Tv = shutter speed (Time) priority. You set shutter speed and ISO and the camera does the rest.
TAv = hypermanual = Time/Aperture priority. You set shutter speed and aperture and the camera sorts out the ISO within limits you set for it.
Sv = Sensitivity priority. You set ISO and the camera does the rest. I have never used this mode.
X = same as on your K1000. Flash sync shutter speed.
B = same as on your K1000. Bulb exposure (i.e. shutter stays open as long as you want)
P = green mode with manual over-ride.
User = don't go there

Av, Tv, M, X and B have been available on film cameras for a very long time.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-06-2016 at 01:36 AM.
06-06-2016, 09:42 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Green = point-and-shoot idiot mode. It won't be your thing if you're coming from a K1000
Av = Aperture priority. You set the aperture and ISO and the automatic exposure decides on the shutter speed.
Tv = shutter speed (Time) priority. You set shutter speed and ISO and the camera does the rest.
TAv = hypermanual = Time/Aperture priority. You set shutter speed and aperture and the camera sorts out the ISO within limits you set for it.
Sv = Sensitivity priority. You set ISO and the camera does the rest. I have never used this mode.
X = same as on your K1000. Flash sync shutter speed.
B = same as on your K1000. Bulb exposure (i.e. shutter stays open as long as you want)
P = green mode with manual over-ride.
User = don't go there
Haha. Thanks for all that! My Optio has a green button. I use "P" on it most of the time. I certainly don't recall hearing of "Av" and "Tv" with the K-1000... I just, well, set things!
...So if I get a second-hand body-only or body/lens, I just need to get a compatible cable and plug it into the USB slot?
06-06-2016, 11:16 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Haha. Thanks for all that! My Optio has a green button. I use "P" on it most of the time. I certainly don't recall hearing of "Av" and "Tv" with the K-1000... I just, well, set things!
...So if I get a second-hand body-only or body/lens, I just need to get a compatible cable and plug it into the USB slot?
No. Not all Pentaxes have good computer interfaces. To be honest, with my K-50 I just flip the SD card out and put it into my computer's SD slot. Less of a hassle than any other method. Except for the one time I left it there at home when I went out to shoot and obviously didn't shoot at all in the end.
06-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Sooooo confusing...
Ok so you don't really want the closest thing to a K1000... so it might be best to state what you really want in a new camera.
06-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok so you don't really want the closest thing to a K1000... so it might be best to state what you really want in a new camera.
Closest thing to a K1000 in simplicity and ease of use. Doesn't require a 300-page manual to get a photo out of it. Doesn't have to be a million megapixels. Doesn't weigh a ton. Isn't going to brick because of some hidden software glitch. I love the straightforward simplicity of the all-manual K1000, and am looking for something that won't be so complicated to use that I get fed up with it.
And since the Optio takes video, that would be nice to have on the DSLR as well.

I have a Latitude D610 laptop. What would I need to get photos off a DSLR onto it? Or could I swap the card into the Optio which is already set up? (Random google result; I found this: http://www.everydaysource.com/product/sdhc-sd-mmc-memory-card-reader-to-usb-...g=1&ps=20&ca=2)