Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can I add function to RAW/FX button: K-3ii?

Has anyone figured out if there is a way to add functionality to that RAW/FX button, on the K-3ii in particular.

None of the options for that button do anything spectacular for me.
What I really would like it to do is toggle on/off the rear screen.

This would be a HUGE help when doing night photography, and even just when I'm shooting in a constant setting and can use the top screen for micro-adjustments.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't found an easy way to do this yet.

Cheers!
-Logan

04-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Has anyone figured out if there is a way to add functionality to that RAW/FX button, on the K-3ii in particular.

None of the options for that button do anything spectacular for me.

This would be a HUGE help when doing night photography, and even just when I'm shooting in a constant setting and can use the top screen for micro-adjustments.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't found an easy way to do this yet.

Cheers!
-Logan
I just flip the screen backwards. Oh wait, I thought you had the K-s2. Sorry, I just couldn't resist, and since it's April Fools and all.

By the way, probably like you I'm still feeling my way around a new camera. Actually decided it was smart to take a class tomorrow since there's soooo much I've forgotten from my K1000 days. I hadn't picked up a good camera in over 30 years until I bought a K-50 last year after a successful cancer battle. A little gift to me.

Okay, sorry for the distraction. As you were.
04-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I just flip the screen backwards. Oh wait, I thought you had the K-s2. Sorry, I just couldn't resist, and since it's April Fools and all.

By the way, probably like you I'm still feeling my way around a new camera. Actually decided it was smart to take a class tomorrow since there's soooo much I've forgotten from my K1000 days. I hadn't picked up a good camera in over 30 years until I bought a K-50 last year after a successful cancer battle. A little gift to me.

Okay, sorry for the distraction. As you were.
Congrats on the battle!
Good to hear that bastard (the big C) didn't win this time...

I wish there were more people who shot Pentax where I live. In fact, it seems like a foreign language when I tell people what I shoot.

The fact that I ran into a guy a few days ago who shot Pentax and we both had a DA*300 attached - Well it was just weird. Almost creepy.

I'll keep playing with the menus.
It seems the K-3ii manual is much less detailed than the manual I own for my K-30. Yet the features of the K-3ii are tenfold.
Edit: K-30 manual I owned... I keep forgetting I sold that camera
04-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter

That would be a great option, unfortunately, there's no way to add it. The only way I know of is to hit the info button twice to bring up the display menu and pick Display Off. It's fairly quick.

04-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The user manual is our friend...

Steve
04-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter

See above ^ ^ ^

Steve

(...first thing I did after I received my K-3...)
04-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I'll keep playing with the menus.
It seems the K-3ii manual is much less detailed than the manual I own for my K-30. Yet the features of the K-3ii are tenfold.
Edit: K-30 manual I owned... I keep forgetting I sold that camera
I bought Yvon Bourques eBook for my camera. Wonderfully clear and a huge assist in getting to know the K-s2 features, menu's and settings. He has one for your camera too. Well worth the $15 IMHO.
#ebooks4pentax
04-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I bought Yvon Bourques eBook for my camera. Wonderfully clear and a huge assist in getting to know the K-s2 features, menu's and settings. He has one for your camera too. Well worth the $15 IMHO.
#ebooks4pentax
Also on the MP here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/295303-sal...tax-dslrs.html

04-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Thanks for finding the link. I knew I'd seen it here because that's what put me on him to begin with.
04-02-2016, 05:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The user manual is our friend...

Steve
I thought I read through it page for page twice.
I'll browse through it again today without a few ales this time.
04-02-2016, 06:39 AM   #11
Site Supporter

I thought I read through it page for page twice.
I'll browse through it again today without a few ales this time.

I know it sounds a little abrupt to simply point to the user manual, but there are very few "Easter egg" features on Pentax cameras*. If a button is customizable, the feature is usually mentioned somewhere in the manual.

Steve

* Catch-in-focus comes to mind as an exception to the rule. Similarly, some aspects of back-button AF behavior were happy accidents and have been essentially undocumented.
04-03-2016, 07:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Similarly, some aspects of back-button AF behavior were happy accidents and have been essentially undocumented.
Curious, what you mean by this?
I love the backAF button. It changed the way I shoot entirely.

I gladly accept all tips and tricks to the trade!! I certainly take all the help I can get!
04-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Curious, what you mean by this?
I love the backAF button. It changed the way I shoot entirely.

I gladly accept all tips and tricks to the trade!! I certainly take all the help I can get!
I forget the specifics (not a BBF person), but IIRC, the behavior on most older bodies is different that the current product in regard to AE L. The behavior allowed for an undocumented functional hack that was popular with users on this site and there were loud complaints when it was not found when users upgraded. I wish I could remember the details, but cannot except that it was sort of a cool hack.

Steve
04-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I forget the specifics (not a BBF person), but IIRC, the behavior on most older bodies is different that the current product in regard to AE L. The behavior allowed for an undocumented functional hack that was popular with users on this site and there were loud complaints when it was not found when users upgraded. I wish I could remember the details, but cannot except that it was sort of a cool hack.

Steve
interesting.
I'm happy the way my K-3ii was function out of the box so I can't complain about any particular functions that may or may not be missing.
Honestly, there is so much this camera can do that I haven't even attempted to discover yet.
I find myself shooting manual and in one particular AF mode, metering mode, etc all the time.
I wish I had more time to shoot to really play around with all the features. (multi exposure, bracketing, astro, gps, etc.)