Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2016, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would probably check the camera out at Samy's (if they have it in store, that its) and then order it online from B&H.
Good approach - first take up the time of people in retail, then leave the money elsewhere

04-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the kind, friendly advices.
I've also received a PM from a fellow pentaxian from California offering his help.
I'm overwhelmed
I guess i'll have a great time during my four weeks in the USA!

Thanks again

ciao

Paolo
04-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

If you have an older Lenses, attach to the new body
04-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Good approach - first take up the time of people in retail, then leave the money elsewhere
I sincerely hope this is not a sarcastic comment, for we are doing this always on our Smart Phones. Many Stores and Web Sites encourage this for price matching.
Also in the older days one would hop from shop to shop to get the best prices - and why not Mr. Fantastic Fox. It was fun "leaving our money elsewhere". Hmm!!
Hard earned money $$$$$ Sir.

Note: I was in the Middle East, North Africa & the CIS for some 17 years, where bargaining was most enjoyable for both the seller and the buyer.
We would go on saying "aakhir" (meaning this is the last offer) a 100 times till the deal was done.

Regards

04-04-2016, 01:20 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the huge price discrepancy between usa and europe always puts me off! yada yada yada taxes, i know.. however even with taxes the us market is usually a lot cheaper. Importing is a pain, be it lenses or camera gear. The importduties for germany are a horrific joke as you have to pay them even on used gear including the shipping cost. Thats usually about 20-30% extra that you end up paying because of "protective tariffs". The best example may be the 10-17mm fisheye. Here it rarely pops up for the bargain of 300 eur used! In the US i often see it on sale for ~300 usd new!
So even if i bought it for 250 usd used in the USA, that would be ~300 usd with shipping =~ 263 eur, with taxes and tariffs thats about 330 eur. which ends up ~10% more expensive than if i bought it here. That may not look so severely, but now consider this with lenses that cost >500 eur.

thats an insolence to the citizens of the EU! World market prices are a lot cheaper, and not just for camera gear. what we are essentially facing is governmental protection for our industries, something which we are vigorously trying to eliminate in every "3rd world country". And that surely doesnt come from higher purchasing power in the EU compared to the usa. We have had stagnant wages for the better of the past 15 years!
04-04-2016, 03:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quh86 Quote
The best example may be the 10-17mm fisheye. Here it rarely pops up for the bargain of 300 eur used! In the US i often see it on sale for ~300 usd new! So even if i bought it for 250 usd used in the USA, that would be ~300 usd with shipping =~ 263 eur, with taxes and tariffs thats about 330 eur. which ends up ~10% more expensive than if i bought it here.
Only 10% more expensive new than used? Pretty good deal

QuoteQuote:
thats an insolence to the citizens of the EU!
Is the two year warranty under EU law part of this insolence?