Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-02-2016, 07:03 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Buying the K-1 on the West Coast

I will go to the USA for the first time in my life.
My american wife asked me to go, and i can't say no!
I will be in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Fresno and Reno.
I can't go to New York, but i'll fly after the release of the new Pentax K-1.
Which means that i will take the chance to buy a K-1, body only. Either from a brick and mortar shop on the West Coast (i will be able to travel freely, as i've already booked a camper), or from one of the low-cost shops in NYC.
I guess that no brick and mortar shop on the West Coast can offer prices comparable with KEH or Adorama (or other similar NYC outlets), but i don't know in advance where i will be in a certain day. That makes mail orders a bit complicated...
Is there a way to order online, pay with credit card, and have the goods shipped to a local representative of the courier that takes care of the delivery?
I'm not going to stay for long though. So i'd prefer to avoid possible problems/complications. If there is a good/cheap shop on the West Coast, i'd happily go for it

Any advice is welcomed

cheers

Paolo

04-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since no one else has replied I will try to help. The US is a Pentax dealer desert but there are a few dealers scattered about. The two biggest (B&H and Adorama) are in New York but Samy's has a number of stores in southern California. Check the web for Samy's to see which stores you will be near. I do not know if all the stores stock Pentax but some do for sure. Finding a K-1 in stock anytime soon may be hard. Perhaps you could order from B&H and have it delivered to one of the relatives you will be visiting.
04-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can try this place located in Kenmore Washington which is about 30 miles north of Seattle.

They do carry Pentax and I would be surprised if they did not have the K-1.

Kenmore Camera
04-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

From your 'location' I cannot quite make out where you live, but be aware that if you buy the K-1 in the US and return home to the European Union (?), you will have to pay import VAT (22% in Italy, 21% in the Netherlands etc.). You can obviously walk through the 'Nothing to declare' gate if you feel lucky, but technically you'll have to pay.

Take that into consideration when you buy photographic equipment in the US - it appears cheaper than if you buy it in Europe, but once you do the maths it turns out it actually isn't

04-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
Forum Member

Also in Southern California, Image One in Riverside is an amazing and large independent camera store that carries a lot of Pentax in stock! I was just on the phone with them this week about the K1 and they expect to be one of very first to get it in the USA because the national warehouse is right here. They did not have a specific delivery date though. They sell most Pentax at the same prices as B&H from what I can tell. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you are going to be down in SoCal though.
04-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you will be in Reno then try contacting Gordon's Photo Service. The store sells Pentax. Someone there may be able to order the body for you and have it available when you arrive.
04-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
From your 'location' I cannot quite make out where you live, but be aware that if you buy the K-1 in the US and return home to the European Union (?), you will have to pay import VAT (22% in Italy, 21% in the Netherlands etc.). You can obviously walk through the 'Nothing to declare' gate if you feel lucky, but technically you'll have to pay.
Take that into consideration when you buy photographic equipment in the US - it appears cheaper than if you buy it in Europe, but once you do the maths it turns out it actually isn't
Hi Cyberjunkie, order your K-1 from Adorama, B&H or Prodigital200 (Ontario, Canada) to your relative's or friend's address in the US. Online prices are cheaper. But please do not buy from those crooks in Brooklyn or New York stores who advertise exciting prices and cheat you.

If walking through the "Nothing to Declare Gate" do ensure you remove the lens from the body and store them separately. Also never put your camera or lens in the checked in baggage as these are just thrown around and dropped. Do carry the camera and lenses in your cabin baggage.
Have fun. The US is such a loving country and the people very gentle & friendly. Europe is some what coarse & couth comparatively speaking.

Regards.

04-02-2016, 09:26 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote

He'll never have to pay TVA coming back home. It never happens. I've been doing this very thing for the last 27 years and have been checked only once, and that was just for a quick question.. I work for an airline and travel much, much more than anyone normal human being should have to. I go through Customs around the world. You obviously go through the Green-Nothing to Declare line and glide through. The Customs officers target passengers disembarking off flights from certain origins, notably for drugs and counterfeit goods. That means Central and South America and Asia. When you fly home to Europe from the US, you only attract attention if you have 3x more luggage than you should have. The US is not the fat cow for European Customs. Now if you were inspected, your camera "was used during your vacation in the US" and that's it. You don't show a receipt for it, just as you don't prove you bought your underwear overseas and are smuggling them back in. You'd have to happen upon a monumental jerk to conduct a full investigation on a tourist's camera...Agree with me or not, but we do this in the airline industry systematically with out any second thoughts. You'd never believe what I've purchased abroad and returned peacefully home to France with.

Last edited by Davidparis; 04-02-2016 at 09:29 AM. Reason: I can't type
04-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you have a place when you can send a package is more easy, i live in Mexico but i have relatives in Houston, i bought gear in B&H or Adorama via Paypal and get them delivery at their home, when i travel to USA i pick them up, that way i avoid the US taxes (8.25%) and Custom and import Taxes (28%), or when they travel to Mexico they bring the package with them.

I can safely pass custom with the gear as most of the time pass as a personal item, (if it more than one piece of the same object, then i must pay tax and duty) but this is with the laws of my country, you must investigate when you return you can declare the camera gear as a personal and not as a import to not pay any duty.
04-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Where could I find Pentax gear (new or used) in FL ?

Seb
04-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Samy's has a number of stores in southern California. Check the web for Samy's to see which stores you will be near.
Samy's has a store in San Francisco Samy's Camera: Store Locations and Directions They said they're getting one (1) K-1 for the floor, but can special order more for a committed buyer.
Their Los Angeles store says they will have plenty available once the camera is out.

Local sales tax varies in California, but it is generally around 10% or less. There is a 3% reward toward future purchases at Samy's. Pentax K-1 Digital SLR Camera Body

If I were you I'd buy the camera online at Adorama/B&H, and have it shipped free to your wife's family on the West coast. You don't say when you'll be here but if the timing doesn't work out, they (family) can always send it to you later.

Just my $0.02, hope this helps.
04-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Hi Cyberjunkie, order your K-1 from Adorama, B&H or Prodigital200 (Ontario, Canada) to your relative's or friend's address in the US. Online prices are cheaper. But please do not buy from those crooks in Brooklyn or New York stores who advertise exciting prices and cheat you.
@cyberjunkie

I would probably check the camera out at Samy's (if they have it in store, that its) and then order it online from B&H. Overnight shipping would still be cheaper than having to pay sales tax locally- just ship it to the address where you'll be staying the next day

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #13

Camera West in Seattle used to carry Pentax but they closed a couple years ago.

Glazer's carries the 645z so it wouldn't surprise me if they will carry the K-1 too.

Search results for: 'pentax'
04-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the only sure clue would be to keep the retail packaging. Of course, you will have to be checked for them to find the box the new camera came in. I haven't ever been checked for too much luggage, but I have gotten questions for too little luggage :^)

Why take lenses from the body to go through customs..? If they take the camera, they will also take any attached lens?? I don't take lenses off... I have had my my camera looked at but have never been asked to disassemble it.
04-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #15

For US Citizens visiting Canada

QuoteQuote:
Under 48 Hours

After a stay of 48 hours or less in Canada, a U.S. citizen or resident may return to the U.S. with:

U.S. $200.00 worth of goods per person, tax and duty free.
Any purchases of alcohol or tobacco products may be subject to duties and taxes.
Any purchases in excess of the U.S. $200.00 allowance may be subject to duties and taxes.

Over 48 Hours

After a stay of 48 hours or more in Canada, a U.S. citizen or resident may return to the U.S. with:

U.S. $800.00 worth of goods per person, tax and duty free.
Purchases may include 1 liter of alcohol (must be 21 years of age or older). 200 cigarettes (1 carton), and 100 cigars, tax and duty free.
Family members may combine their tax and duty free allowances.
Any purchases in excess of the U.S. $800.00 allowances may be subject to duties and taxes

United States Rates

IF YOU EXCEED your duty free allowances and exemptions entering the U.S., the following approximate U.S. duty and tax rates MAY apply:

U.S. $2.00 - $3.00 per bottle of liquor**
U.S. $1.30 per case of beer**
U.S. $3.90 per carton of cigarettes**

Please note: The over allowance duty rates are estimates. Actual amounts are assessed by customs.
* Canadian duty rates on purchases exceeding 1140 MLS of alcohol are assessed according to alcohol content.
** U.S. duty rates on purchases exceeding 1 liter of alcohol are assessed according to alcohol content.
Customs Allowances at the US & Canada Borders | Tax and Duty-Free Shopping for Travelers - DutyFreeAmericas.com
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/types-exemptions

Customs and Border Patrol will eventually track down your purchases so if you don't declare they'll catch up to you.