Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Olympus OMD EM-1

I hear the Olympus OMD EM-1 has in camera perspective control. That means that you can take pictures of tall buildings without having them look like they are tipping over. No tilt-shift lens, no post processing. I wish Pentax had worked on that instead of gimmicky GPS, although some people don't think of this feature as so gimmicky. The reason I say that is because the K-5 II and K-3 already have a feature to shift the lens but its buried in the menu and doesn't shift enough.

04-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
although some people don't think of this feature as so gimmicky.
That part is correct.
Perspective control on the OMD EM-1 does look interesting, how well it really works I do not know though. And it apparently only results in a jpeg file not RAW as far as I can tell. It is hard to tell how much shift is available or even if it is more than provided by Pentax. Would be interesting to see a comparison of the two implementations to see how much difference there is.

The same thing can be done in PP with the loss of some pixels of course. It would be a nice addition to Pentax though. I would think it would not be hard add to the top control dial as the functionality is already in the menu.
04-02-2016, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone who thinks the GPS abilities of the latest Pentax models is a gimmick should check out Mike Oria's work on this forum. Simply stunning.
04-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I hear the Olympus OMD EM-1 has in camera perspective control. That means that you can take pictures of tall buildings without having them look like they are tipping over. No tilt-shift lens, no post processing. I wish Pentax had worked on that instead of gimmicky GPS, although some people don't think of this feature as so gimmicky. The reason I say that is because the K-5 II and K-3 already have a feature to shift the lens but its buried in the menu and doesn't shift enough.
The K-1 makes composition adjustment a lot easier to access (directly via the control panel). Pretty useful!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One man's gimmick is another's must-have feature. There's nothing magic about perspective control and I personally would rather have such functions be implemented in Post Processing where it is under control of the photographer. Many such capabilities, as was noted, require jpeg capture and preclude the use of RAW files. If you prefer to capture in jpeg that's fine but many photographers find it confining and prefer to leave it for the final export only.

Last edited by dakight; 04-03-2016 at 02:12 PM.
04-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I prefer to do perspective in the postprocessing with DXO Viewpoint. I want to control the process, simply shifting may not be enough and the "small" Display dosn't give you enough control. And things like correcting height versus width or volume deformation is impossible with the small display, and there is a lot of processing power needed.

One man's gimmick is the others must have,

I can do perspective control on big monitor with enough resolution, but finding all places to fill in the GPS-Values isn't that easy at home, therefore I think the build in GPS with direction is the better of the two solutions.
04-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
I can do perspective control on big monitor with enough resolution, but finding all places to fill in the GPS-Values isn't that easy at home, therefore I think the build in GPS with direction is the better of the two solutions.
Actually the K-1 has both so no need to choose.

04-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

K5II onwards have perspective control using the SR. So many innovations by Pentax, completely unknown until another brand pinches the idea.