Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2008, 05:02 AM   #1

Focus Screen

On My samsung GX10 ( same as Pentax K10D ), there is loads of dust specs inside the penta-prism. I have tried all sorts to try and remove the muck but nothing works. So its just being sat there for about 4 months now. I tried it again about 5 weeks ago but nothing worked, and i accidentally caught my focusing screen and scratched it quite badly. I know that it wont affect my shots at all, but do you think its worth sending it off to Samsung, to have the penta prism cleaned professionally ( any maybe dis-assembles if needed - can they do that ? ). Its just that i emailed Samsung months ago, asking if they could give me any sort of estimate, or time scale of how long it would take and ifs its even possible. They replied " One can send in their camera and our technicians will take a look at it". This is a very poor response compared to the service pentax gave me with my Macro lens, they were able to tell me the price ( although it was included in the warranty), and the time scale, so that put me off a bit.

But i also wanted a different focusing screen, one with the style of ' Rule of Thirds' type of grid, but so far i have not seen any like this at all and dont even know which types samsung could replace it with.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

N.Stocks

07-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I've scratched both of my screens. I have the regular one and the LL 80. here . I'm not sure if it will fit in the gx10, but it's worth a shot asking around.

I like the ll80 screen the best. It doesn't exactly cut things into thirds, but it really helps with aligning verticals and horizontals. As far as cleaning, I take out the screen and blow air inside. I've heard that you shouldn't use canned air, but one of the air bulb things.
07-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thats what i was looking for thanks, but do you think samsung would only have to originals that the camera came with ?

I have used air to try and shift the dust - it hasnt worked. i tried wiping it with a damp micro fibre cloth - that did'nt work

I might ring around to see if any of my camera shops would clena it, though there arn't many.

N.Stocks
07-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Moo

I emailed Samsung with a similar query, and the reply was they didn't know if they could do such things, but to call their service center and they could tell me..
I don't like using the phone, and I was thinking that without warranty cover, any such procedure would be expensive.. So, I never called them.. But you might like to.

As for the screens, I'd be very surprised if there was a difference between the GX10 and K10D, so you could look at the K10D screens here... Or you could get a Katz Eye one from here.. They have lots of options for different line layouts.. But their screens cost even more than the "official" ones, which are already very expensive for what is just a small piece of plastic..
There are cheaper Chinese ones on eBay, but I don't remember any of them having useful lines..

07-11-2008, 02:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for those links, there's quite a few options there

I did ring samsung up, and they told me that they could'nt give me a price or timescale, then i politelly asked if they could go speak with one of their technicians, after 15 minutes of waiting i gave up !

I wasn't sure if its worth getting a new focus screen - it will still look dirty with all the dust stuck in the penta prism. I might try again with samsung, and i will get back to you !

N.Stocks
07-11-2008, 02:56 AM   #6

Original Poster
I rung them up again, this time they was more helpful, and they have imporved their whole service. They told me that becuase its such a minor job, it would be more likley to be done under warranty, I would just have to pay for deliverey which is fair. If they can't do it under warranty then they will send me a letter quating how much it will cost, and wether or not i want them to do it.

I did'nt ask about focus screen but it's something i can write in the letter when sending the camera off.

So i think i will get it packaged up and sent away !

N.Stocks