Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 04:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zoom lens - focal length shown in camera?

Hi guys,

Is the focal length that I'm shooting at shown anywhere in the camera if I'm using a DA zoom lens?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have searched for an answer and couldn't find anything.

04-05-2016, 04:21 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi a5m. Which camera are you using?
04-05-2016, 04:31 AM   #3
a5m
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry I forgot to mention that but I'm using a K-S2. I'm also curious to know if any other Pentax has this feature.
04-05-2016, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On my K3ii If you use the detailed information display on playback it shows the focal length (if known). But you need to take a shot first.
I don't know if that applies to your body.

04-05-2016, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
I don't know of any electronic verification during shooting, only by using " info " while viewing the photograph the focal length used is stated. Hope this helps.
04-05-2016, 04:52 AM   #6
a5m
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That does help thanks victor and pjv,. I guess there's no way to know without first taking a picture. What a waste of shutter actuations
04-05-2016, 05:02 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Top LCD should show this if I'm not mistaken at least for cameras that have it. Also I think it shows in live view.

04-05-2016, 05:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I can't see it on my top LCD...
I can see it on my lens zoom ring though.
04-05-2016, 05:14 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I can't see it on my top LCD...
I can see it on my lens zoom ring though.
I could be mistaken. I really thought it showed there. I will check a few bodies later it may be an old feature.
04-05-2016, 05:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Top LCD should show this if I'm not mistaken at least for cameras that have it. Also I think it shows in live view.
I don't know ab out live view, but the top LCD only shows aperture, ISO and other data that's important for exposure, focal length not included.
May I ask why this is important? I only need focal length to estimate my needed shutter speed and for that the scale on the lens is sufficient.
04-05-2016, 05:56 AM   #11
a5m
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I could be mistaken. I really thought it showed there. I will check a few bodies later it may be an old feature.
Thank you UncleVanya. I think you may be right, it was a feature in older bodies but has been removed from the newer ones. IIRC it was on a K10d that someone said on another forum that they were able to see focal length. But they may have also meant after taking a shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I don't know ab out live view, but the top LCD only shows aperture, ISO and other data that's important for exposure, focal length not included.
May I ask why this is important? I only need focal length to estimate my needed shutter speed and for that the scale on the lens is sufficient.
I just wanted to know in case you need to check it quickly. Like say if I was comparing lenses and wanted to make sure the focal length was the same. If the lens gets bumped I'd have to take a shot or two until I found the right focal length. Especially in the case of the FA Limiteds, since their 'odd' focal length isn't marked on zoom lenses.

Not a big deal at all, was just curious to know if it was there and if I may have missed it.
04-05-2016, 06:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
I just wanted to know in case you need to check it quickly. Like say if I was comparing lenses and wanted to make sure the focal length was the same. If the lens gets bumped I'd have to take a shot or two until I found the right focal length. Especially in the case of the FA Limiteds, since their 'odd' focal length isn't marked on zoom lenses.

Not a big deal at all, was just curious to know if it was there and if I may have missed it.
I think your best chance for compairing lenses is to find some markings on a testchart or something recognizeable in the environment that you position in the corners because the displayed focal length is more of an estimation. When I shot a scene with my Pentax F 35-70mm lens and right afterwards with my walimexpro/samyang 35mm lens without moving my tripod I saw that the Pentax lens gives actually a slightly wider field of view than the prime lens does although both are marked as 35mm.
04-05-2016, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Pentax did display focal length on the info screen up until K20D/K200D, but then it was removed on newer cameras.
I sometimes miss that.

04-05-2016, 07:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think you can only see it on the zoom ring, and after you take the photo (you can press that info for extra photo information), and later on computer using an exif viewer or something.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Pentax did display focal length on the info screen up until K20D/K200D, but then it was removed on newer cameras. I sometimes miss that.
Ah, interesting. Yeah, some good features got lost over the years. And they wouldn't even be difficult to return
04-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #15
a5m
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I think your best chance for compairing lenses is to find some markings on a testchart or something recognizeable in the environment that you position in the corners because the displayed focal length is more of an estimation. When I shot a scene with my Pentax F 35-70mm lens and right afterwards with my walimexpro/samyang 35mm lens without moving my tripod I saw that the Pentax lens gives actually a slightly wider field of view than the prime lens does although both are marked as 35mm.
That is a good idea and you are right, it felt like there was a range when turning the zoom ring within which the camera would register the same focal length.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Pentax did display focal length on the info screen up until K20D/K200D, but then it was removed on newer cameras.
I sometimes miss that.
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think you can only see it on the zoom ring, and after you take the photo (you can press that info for extra photo information), and later on computer using an exif viewer or something.

Ah, interesting. Yeah, some good features got lost over the years. And they wouldn't even be difficult to return
I never had a K20D/K200D or earlier body but if I did I would miss it too. Like Na Horuk said it wouldn't be too difficult to put that feature back in.

As suggested I just took a photo and hit the INFO button to see the focal length. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put some tape along the zoom ring with individual FL markings.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in and helping out it was much appreciated .