Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 07:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
State of the art AF.C. I don't care how many points, 2 or 200 as long as the AF.C system is faster and tracks better than Nikon and Canon. With so much invested in Pentax I am reluctant to change but already have a backup plan in place. Looking at the K-1 manual I see no significant change in AF.C which is a big disappointment. I look forward to the PF review hopeful that my initial reaction is ill founded.

04-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
... as long as the AF.C system is faster and tracks better than Nikon and Canon.
Not going to happen within the next decade. They might close the gap, slowly, step by step, and the AF.C is getting better. But compare the K-3 II with the D500 or 7D Mk II. Being a smaller company with less engineers and no evidence that AF.C is a priority to them, do you really think Pentax is going to get to that level any time soon?
04-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #18

They always beat Nikon flagship, or reach the level at least.

A video orientated apsc would be great
04-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not feel that featuring a mirrorless type camera would be an advantageous step to take. I like the mirrored structure and its operation/dependability.

04-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
They always beat Nikon flagship, or reach the level at least.
They beat Nikon in some areas, but not for autofocus, which is what he was talking about, image quality or flash. And the new Nikon APS-C flagship is the D500, which the K3 II successor will definitely not beat on any important aspect but price, size, ergonomics, weight and internal stabilisation
04-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
price, size, ergonomics, weight and internal stabilisation
For some photographers, that's what separates a worthwhile camera from one that stays on the store shelf. In fact, if that's all that Pentax ever beats the Big Two on, I will continue to buy Pentax.
04-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
For some photographers, that's what separates a worthwhile camera from one that stays on the store shelf. In fact, if that's all that Pentax ever beats the Big Two on, I will continue to buy Pentax.
Exactly. For me (and probably most other users of this forum) Pentax APS-C flagships beat Canon's and Nikon's competitor. I value my K3's ergonomics and build quality over the D7200's autofocus and flash advantages (but if someone gifted me a D500 and assorted lenses, I certainly wouldn't decline ). But we certainly cannot claim that Pentax' APS-C flagship generally beats Nikon's flagship, because objectively that's not true. Nikon's often get (marginally) higher scores for image quality, and their AF is better too.

04-05-2016, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

Nikon's often get (marginally) higher scores for image quality
But this has been up to a lot of debate. For example, Canon cameras lately seem to get terrible lab review results, lower than the Nikon beginner tier DSLRs. And Pentax often uses the same Sony sensor that is in the Nikon APSC flagship, so the differences should be rather negligible (comes down to AA filter/lack thereof, bit depth, image processing).
AF? Eh, its not that terrible for Pentax. In many tests it has shown that Pentax' low light AF abilities are great. Its just that Pentax often doesn't have as many AF points in the flagship, and that AF.C is not as confident.
Flash system? Yes, you are right. Pentax needs to invest a little more into the overall flash system. Not just the "lightbulbs", but the PTTL/TTL, metering, shutter speed, connectivity, ease of use.. I think flash system and pro-support (fast service centres, lens rentals, etc.) are where Pentax is the furthest from Nikon. But neither of those things are camera-specific; they involve many other factors, support systems

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-05-2016 at 09:09 AM.
04-05-2016, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

Improved 24MP sensor
Same AF as the K-1
Same image processor as the K-1
WiFi
Improved IBIS (SR)
UHS-II SD Card Support
No tilt screen - Keep the size down and re-use the K-3 body
LCD overlay in the OVF like the K-1
04-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #25
Pentaxian

But we certainly cannot claim that Pentax' APS-C flagship generally beats Nikon's flagship, because objectively that's not true. Nikon's often get (marginally) higher scores for image quality, and their AF is better too.
Oh, agreed. It all comes down to how much the Nikons' performance advantage matters in day to day use for the individual photographer. And to me, the answer is that it doesn't - it's not enough to overcome all those other handling factors. Others' mileage varies and that's fair enough - they can (and should) buy what they want/need to do the job at hand.
04-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Wont come a new one tomorrow exactly....
04-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Summary of what we have so far:

A small K1
A faster K3 with better AF
A camera for movie makers

Add to the list:
We are still lacking the start of a mirrorless K-Mount camera

And now start being inventive, nobody starts building a new camera from the flipping screen on the back forward
04-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #28
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Summary of what we have so far:

A camera for movie makers
Never be. Pentax is not Sony or Panasonic. No lenses specially made for video
04-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #29

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Wont come a new one tomorrow exactly....
Makes sense. Especially if they've been pouring most of the development resources to FF (as they most likely have), which may or may not translate to the APS-C design and sourcing (also take into account all testing etc. resources needed to produce an actual commercial product). Some time delay seems likely.
04-05-2016, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

if someone gifted me a D500 and assorted lenses, I certainly wouldn't decline
Oh, I would. The lenses screw on backwards! What's with that?