Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2016, 02:22 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Considering you are buying into a different systemRV Bob,its great you've got your Santa list on your mind!

However,my opinion is just write it in Pencil! at this stage(Xmas is a long time away)

I've got mine in pencil and with options.Nikon 500 is an excellent too but U$ 2K is too steep IMO.Once you add a lens its a costly item.

My list(in pencil) includes the Sony A6300(1100 with KL) add the techart pro AF adapter(turns manual glass to AF)...$o use my existing lenses

Also on the list is the Panasonic GX85,.+ 100/400....$2600(kl as well) and many fine lenses from Oly/Pano.Maybe the GX8?

There's going to be some other new releases as the year goes on?...Maybe Rpentax will surprise us as well.

04-09-2016, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Nikon is still in their own world on AF, but AF on K-1 is more then a minor upgrade on K-3.
That is good to know - I will await the in-depth Pentax review of the K1 and hope that the K3 followon will even offer improvements beyond the K1. Optically the Sigma 500 is more than adequate for my needs - a focus limiter would be nice, but not worth $12,000. But Pentax K3 autofocus is frustrating, very frustrating and waiting for Pentax to address this deficiency has been even more frustrating. Thanks for the Post Kenspo

---------- Post added 04-09-16 at 08:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Considering you are buying into a different systemRV Bob,its great you've got your Santa list on your mind!

However,my opinion is just write it in Pencil! at this stage(Xmas is a long time away)

I've got mine in pencil and with options.Nikon 500 is an excellent too but U$ 2K is too steep IMO.Once you add a lens its a costly item.

My list(in pencil) includes the Sony A6300(1100 with KL) add the techart pro AF adapter(turns manual glass to AF)...$o use my existing lenses

Also on the list is the Panasonic GX85,.+ 100/400....$2600(kl as well) and many fine lenses from Oly/Pano.Maybe the GX8?

There's going to be some other new releases as the year goes on?...Maybe Rpentax will surprise us as well.
Thank you for this post. For the money involved my list is in pencil. The change would be very expensive for me but so is my time traveling for wildlife photography - for example a one week trip from Delaware to the Florida Everglades for photography next January.
I was not familiar with the Techart Pro AF. Thank you for sharing this information. The video demonstration is with a wide angle lens - it would be good to see how this adapter works with a 500 or 600 mm lens and if it works in continuous AF mode. Time will tell.

Last edited by RockvilleBob; 04-09-2016 at 06:08 AM.
04-09-2016, 06:12 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree, Pentax AF is frustrating. I hope the next APS-C will have a major improvement.
04-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I agree, Pentax AF is frustrating. I hope the next APS-C will have a major improvement.
Better auto focus should be the number 1 focus with Pentax bodies as well as their lenses. I would gladly have them drop other improvements (like video) t make more resources for AF.
I can't think of one other thing more important, except SR.

Randy

04-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Better auto focus should be the number 1 focus with Pentax bodies as well as their lenses. I would gladly have them drop other improvements (like video) t make more resources for AF.
Same here. Pentax has advantages over CaNikon, like in-body SR, build quality, ergonomics etc., but these are all more or less modest ones. Not having it on a Nikon may be annoying, but you get by. The Pentax disadvantage in AF.C can be a deal breaker for some people though. No matter what kind of money you throw at Pentax, you won't get a set-up that reliable tracks and adjusts focus for high speed sports and action (and I know there will be people on here jumping at me for this, throwing in pictures of their dogs to prove that you can take action shots with Pentax, but that's not the point ...).

Pentax is getting better in the AF department, but they need to keep pushing and make more of an effort. I know they don't need to cater to every type of photographer, but I'm not a sports professional, I'm actually an amateur more interested in outdoor, landscape and wildlife photography, but I do frequently get into situations where I shoot some sports and action, and it just doesn't do the trick ...

I don't need a D500 or 7D Mk II AF system, but something like the D7200 or so would be nice. Come on Ricoh, make an effort.
04-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I can't think of one other thing more important, except SR.

Randy
I am with you. Flippy screens, night lights, more pixels, higher iso, less noise .. all nice but when you venture out for hours or days, sit in the cold for hours and an eagle soars in for the kill and all you have is an out of focus shot of a great moment those added enhancements are useless.
Let's keep our fingers crossed that Kenspo is on the money with his words about the K1 autofocus, no not autofocus, continuous autofocus and tracking. single shot AF is fine, mountains do not move.
04-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Same here. Pentax has advantages over CaNikon, like in-body SR, build quality, ergonomics etc., but these are all more or less modest ones. Not having it on a Nikon may be annoying, but you get by. The Pentax disadvantage in AF.C can be a deal breaker for some people though. No matter what kind of money you throw at Pentax, you won't get a set-up that reliable tracks and adjusts focus for high speed sports and action (and I know there will be people on here jumping at me for this, throwing in pictures of their dogs to prove that you can take action shots with Pentax, but that's not the point ...).

Pentax is getting better in the AF department, but they need to keep pushing and make more of an effort. I know they don't need to cater to every type of photographer, but I'm not a sports professional, I'm actually an amateur more interested in outdoor, landscape and wildlife photography, but I do frequently get into situations where I shoot some sports and action, and it just doesn't do the trick ...

I don't need a D500 or 7D Mk II AF system, but something like the D7200 or so would be nice. Come on Ricoh, make an effort.
Not just sports. Brides walking down the path, kids running around, that special moment that you only have one shot at it...

Randy
04-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dunno about you folks but I've not had problems with kids and walking birds. Issues with fast-moving subjects coming at me (sports cars), sure. If K-1 is significantly better than K-3 and next APSc gets the same, many but not all the questions might be answered.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-09-2016 at 10:24 AM.
04-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the new AF on K-1, we're still behind Nikon in that area, BUT its i big step in the right direction. But to get the most out of the K-1 AF, you'll need to use the correct lenses.
04-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
With the new AF on K-1, we're still behind Nikon in that area, BUT its i big step in the right direction. But to get the most out of the K-1 AF, you'll need to use the correct lenses.
I predict very few critics of the K-1 AF will take into account that the lens(es) they used to form their opinion weren't the 'correct' lenses.
04-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I predict very few critics of the K-1 AF will take into account that the lens(es) they used to form their opinion weren't the 'correct' lenses.
Maybe normal users, but I expect the bigger professional reviewers will pair the K-1 with the new lenses, namely the 15-30, 24-70, 70-200 and 150-450.
04-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Maybe normal users, but I expect the bigger professional reviewers will pair the K-1 with the new lenses, namely the 15-30, 24-70, 70-200 and 150-450.
Well there's the rub.

In order to ensure the K-1 is reviewed with the correct lenses Pentax will need to supply not just a review body, but also a set of review lenses. That will limit even the 'professional' reviewers to a favored few, leaving certain others who aren't on the list out in the cold, begging for their opportunity - or bitterly reviewing the camera with what ever old Pentax lens they happen to have on a shelf in the back of a closet.
04-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Dunno about you folks but I've not had problems with kids and walking birds. Issues with fast-moving subjects coming at me (sports cars), sure. If K-1 is significantly better than K-3 and next APSc gets the same, many but not all the questions might be answered.
Even in the days of MF, I took pictures of trains moving towards me, but I have always been a "Weegee" Fellig fan {"f/8 and be there"} and I always pre-focused to the zone I knew I'd be taking the picture in.
04-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Even in the days of MF, I took pictures of trains moving towards me, but I have always been a "Weegee" Fellig fan {"f/8 and be there"} and I always pre-focused to the zone I knew I'd be taking the picture in.
Boy I am glad those days are over LOL

Randy
04-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A freight train @45mph is not an IMSA Vette ZR at 215mph. I just had a fun time shooting UNP GE locos coming at me with a K-3 and FA24~90, which certainly is no speed demon. AF.C back button focus, focus priority and I filled the buffer with in-focus shots every time.

I suppose the cutting edge action people have a point. But they should be using a $4,000 Canon anyway.