Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Nikon is still in their own world on AF, but AF on K-1 is more then a minor upgrade on K-3.
Could it autofocus possibly be better because the new lenses are faster?

Randy

04-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #77
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What will the next APS-c have?
Assuming you are referring to the next Pentax APS-c; and assuming it follows recent trends regarding new Pentax releases, the next Pentax APS-c DSLR will likely have a half dozen or so people complaining ad nauseum that it isn't a perfect video camera.
04-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
What will the next APS-c have?
Assuming you are referring to the next Pentax APS-c; and assuming it follows recent trends regarding new Pentax releases, the next Pentax APS-c DSLR will likely have a half dozen or so people complaining ad nauseum that it isn't a perfect video camera.
And that it isn't mirrorless.

And that it doesn't have an EVF.

And that the megapixel count and burst rate are either too high or too low or one of each.

Okay, let's face it - I think we can accept that by the time Pentax DSLRs have good 4K video there will be people complaining that it isn't eight, but seriously, IMO a DSLR is first and foremost a stills machine and if you are using one only and solely for video shooting, you might want to rethink your choice of technology.
04-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Could it autofocus possibly be better because the new lenses are faster?

Randy
Its a combination. New and better AF system AND fast new lenses.

04-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #80
Pentaxian

I'm not trying to start an argument but, better noise handling should also be a priority. I really like the noise handling of my k-5II over my k-3II. I even think my k-5II has a better image quality than my k-3II. I don't know what seems to be the problem. But that's what I got out of the box.
04-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope that the newest crop sensor camera will be as good as the new Nikon D500. Amazing for the price as far as autofocus.

Randy
04-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I hope that the newest crop sensor camera will be as good as the new Nikon D500.
That is unlikely. It will have similar weather sealing and build quality, and also image quality I'd assume, but there is no way it will reach the D500 in performance, that is speed, AF etc. and we couldn't expect it to, after all the K3 was released at an MSRP of $1299, while the D500 has an MSRP of $2000.
04-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #83
Pentaxian

I agree, it won't be as good as the D500 but, i hope it will be much better than the D7200.

04-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'm not trying to start an argument but, better noise handling should also be a priority. I really like the noise handling of my k-5II over my k-3II. I even think my k-5II has a better image quality than my k-3II. I don't know what seems to be the problem. But that's what I got out of the box.
Pixel density on K-1 should be very close to K-5/ll. I hope noise handling should be better than on K-3.
04-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Its a combination. New and better AF system AND fast new lenses.
As Kenspo says, it's a combination of both. I also wish to see more APS-C dedicated lenses with faster focusing speed. But I don't expect it soon. I' m sure resources are currently focused on lens development of the full frame system.
04-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #86
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I agree, it won't be as good as the D500 but, i hope it will be much better than the D7200.
Is the K-3 II autofocus tracking comparable to the D7100? Or even the D7000...

I think a more realistic view is that of continued improvements but on the Pentax level. Not on the Nikon level. That is to say, smaller steps but still steps forward.
04-09-2016, 10:38 PM   #87
Pentaxian

I didn't say it's as good as the d7200. Like I said, I'm just hoping it will be as good as the d7200 or better. If they can't improve that much then little steps will do. Come to think of it, how fast is the k-1's AF? Again h I hope K-1 owners will show us some tests or give us some feedback.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 04-10-2016 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Missed a word
04-10-2016, 03:50 AM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
That is unlikely. It will have similar weather sealing and build quality, and also image quality I'd assume, but there is no way it will reach the D500 in performance, that is speed, AF etc. and we couldn't expect it to, after all the K3 was released at an MSRP of $1299, while the D500 has an MSRP of $2000.
The cost of the camera is almost incidental to the cost of upgrading the lens. Nikon offers some great telephotos at some great prices. To take full advantage of the D500 you need to use Nikon telephotos. The 400 2.8 for example is $11,000; 500 f4 is $10,000 and the 600 f4 is $11,000. Nikon focus motors are fast - they are built for professional photographers whose income depends on getting the picture when the moment is right.
To maximize the use of focus points and cross sensors of the D500 you are better off with a 2.8 lens. For example the 400 f2.8 will work better with Nikon's 1.4; 1.7; and 2.0 TC.s than the Nikon 500 or 600 using TC's.
A D500/400 2.8 rig will cost about $15,000 with accessories and TC's.
Nikon's Telephotos will work with both full and crop sensor Nikon cameras.
Do I need a D500 setup for my wildlife photography - absolutely not. I am an amateur photographer. The Sigma 500 serves my needs well from a lens perspective (a focus limiter would be nice.) What I do need is a camera that gives me the confidence that if I travel and sit for hours or days to get a good shot I need to feel confident the camera will focus and track at the right moment. With the Pentax K3 I do not have that confidence. I do often return with some good shots with the K3 but I have many shots of the better moments out of focus.
Could my technique be better - absolutely. But I generally go out with other wildlife shooters. While some have have equal and better skill than I do, in most cases I feel they have less skill than I feel I have yet they get more keepers.
The bottom line for me is that life is too short and this year I will get a camera (with a lens) that lets me know that when I go out to shoot wildlife then the shots that come back and are not usable are due to my errors since I have confidence in the camera being ready when the moment arrives.
My hope is the kenspo is "on the money" with his insight about the K1 autofocus capability so I do not need to spend $15,000 and can buy the K1 and the K3 follow-on and the 150-450 zoom and spend $10,000 less.

Last edited by RockvilleBob; 04-10-2016 at 07:44 AM.
04-11-2016, 05:24 AM   #89
mee
Pentaxian

I didn't say it's as good as the d7200. Like I said, I'm just hoping it will be as good as the d7200 or better. If they can't improve that much then little steps will do. Come to think of it, how fast is the k-1's AF? Again h I hope K-1 owners will show us some tests or give us some feedback.
I know you didn't but the point I'm making is I don't think the current Pentax flagship is even comparable to last generation Nikon. So I wouldn't expect Pentax to leapfrog generations of technology and suddenly match the competition. Smaller steps is what I'm figuring.. slow going but forward nonetheless.
04-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope this bodes well for Pentax autofocus