Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2016, 12:29 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We need 2 at least. An upgrade of the K-S2 and the k-3II which is only a minor upgrade from the k-3.

04-07-2016, 04:42 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A new series designation?

"K" for FF? After K-1, what's left - K-2?
04-07-2016, 04:46 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
After K-1, what's left - K-2?
Well, since we've already had a KX (film) and a K-x (digital), I guess a K-2 digital isn't impossible - though there could be some interesting debates once they start selling on e-bay and people jump in thinking they're getting the best DSLR in the world and wind up with a film camera. "But it's Pentax and it's full-frame!"
04-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Improved 24MP sensor
Same AF as the K-1
Same image processor as the K-1
WiFi
Improved IBIS (SR)
UHS-II SD Card Support
No tilt screen - Keep the size down and re-use the K-3 body
LCD overlay in the OVF like the K-1
Pretty much what I'm thinking.
I expect both major and minor performance improvements, but in the same basic shell they've had since the K-7.
It would be interesting to see if they add tilt screen for an APS-C flagship, but I could see it going either way. (If they do, it'll probably be the new design rather than a swing / flippy screen though.)
We might see both built in flash and GPS, which would be good in that people could stop arguing about which is more important.
I would also expect built in tether capabilities.
We may see 36MP, but based on recent history that would probably come after a Nikon D7300 / D7400 that uses the sensor first.

I'm also curious if they'll replace the K-50 line, or stick to the K-S... line for entry level. I could envision three levels being sold simultaneously, but I don't know if Pentax has the bandwidth for four models all at once. ( ??? K-S3, K-70, K-3 III, and K-1 ??? )

---------- Post added 04-07-16 at 02:15 PM ----------

I'd also be interested in a K-02 to refresh on the K-01 design. The guts of the original K-3 in a small mirrorless package it would make for a great camera. (No need for GPS, astro-tracer, pixel shift, etc. from the K-3 II.) A new sleek package would be nice, but the K-01 body style would be fine.

I could see it being a great backup camera, or for when you want something a little smaller than a DSLR. Or in my case, something for my wife to use since she doesn't understand how I have my K-3 set up!

04-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
I'm also curious if they'll replace the K-50 line, or stick to the K-S... line for entry level. I could envision three levels being sold simultaneously, but I don't know if Pentax has the bandwidth for four models all at once. ( ??? K-S3, K-70, K-3 III, and K-1 ??? )
The K-S2 is the successor to the K-50 which is out of production and apparently only still offered because there is a lot of stock.

In an interview on CP+ 2015 Ricoh said:

"We have two DSLR lines. We call them the 'core' line and 'innovation' line. The core line is represented by the K-3. Good cameras which can be active in the field. These ones target high amateurs. We also have the K-S1 and K-S2, which are categorized as being part of the 'innovation' line."

So there are at least four lines right now: K-S, K3, K1 and 645Z. What remains to be seen is whether the K-S1 is getting a successor, establishing a 'low entry-level' line below the K-S2, which is clearly an upper entry-level camera, or not. Kind of like Canon with its 1200D, 750D etc.
04-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
So there are at least four lines right now: K-S, K3, K1 and 645Z.
IOW Entry-level APS-C, all-bells-and-whistles APS-C, full-frame (which began as and IMO is likely to remain all-bells-and-whistles) and (currently "crop" form of) medium format.

Of course the lines are always blurred by the fact that yesterday's premium feature can sometimes be relatively easy to add to today's entry level model. I suspect one of the reasons the KS-1 failed was because it wasn't WR, and people were coming to expect that from Pentax (you can debate the effect of the blinky lights all you want). I think the best successor to the KS-1 for a sub-KS-2 entry level camera will be a used KS-2 when the KS-3 comes out, and I expect that to have most of the guts of the K-3, maybe with pixel shift but probably not the GPS/astrotracer function.

Meanwhile the K3 successor will probably get either a new sensor or a rebuild of the current sensor akin to what they did to the D810 sensor when they put it in the K-1, plus K-1 AF and pixel shift trickery, and quite probably a 5-axis SR unit (depending on how easy or hard it is to scale that down). Whether the high-end APS-C gets a flash, I have no idea. I think there might be room down the road for a FF branch that has one, but we shall see what the clamor for it is like once the K-1 has been in the market for a while. I can't imagine that EVERYONE will need astrotracer and GPS, but I can certainly sympathise with Ricoh for wanting to put it into the first run.

Last edited by pathdoc; 04-07-2016 at 02:18 PM.
04-07-2016, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like the K-3 III to have the AF of the 9 year old Nikon D300/D700!

04-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
The K-S2 is the successor to the K-50 which is out of production and apparently only still offered because there is a lot of stock.
Based on what I'm seeing on eBay, the pipeline still contains serious numbers of K-01, K-30 {over 100 new ones on eBay alone}, and K-50 cameras. They may decide to hold off on any more inexpensive bodies until these have been drained from the system.

If Pentax were going to announce a K-50 / K-S1 / K-S2 replacement, based on past practice, when would they make the announcement?

Last edited by reh321; 04-07-2016 at 06:10 PM.
04-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I would like the K-3 III to have the AF of the 9 year old Nikon D300/D700!
I think I'm resigned to looking at a Nikon for wildlife. I have the D500 on my Christmas wish list along with a Nikon telephoto lens. I would have preferred staying with one brand but the K1 auto focus looks like a minor improvement versus the K3 and life is too short to keep waiting.
04-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I think I'm resigned to looking at a Nikon for wildlife. I have the D500 on my Christmas wish list along with a Nikon telephoto lens. I would have preferred staying with one brand but the K1 auto focus looks like a minor improvement versus the K3 and life is too short to keep waiting.
I hear ya. I suggest renting one before buying to make sure it fits in your hand nicely and performs the way you want it too. Just my $0.02.
04-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hear ya. I suggest renting one before buying to make sure it fits in your hand nicely and performs the way you want it too. Just my $0.02.
Thanks - great idea.
04-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks - great idea.
You also might consider the Canon 7D Mk II and EF 400mm f/5.6 L combo. Relatively light weight and fast and accurate AF. Another $0.02.
04-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Thanks - great idea.
If you buy online you can try it out (with care, obviously) for a couple of days and just return it if it doesn't suit you
04-08-2016, 01:32 PM   #59
Veteran Member

5 axis stabilization is definitely what will be in the next-generation of crop sensor bodies

Randy
04-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #60
Veteran Member

the K1 auto focus looks like a minor improvement versus the K3 and life is too short to keep waiting.
Nikon is still in their own world on AF, but AF on K-1 is more then a minor upgrade on K-3.