Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #16

It may not be an absolute measurement od speed , but it is a good comparison between cards on the identical equipment. You can see which card is the fastest in this system, and that is the point i'm interested in.

04-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just did another test. I did burst of RAW at 1/1000 shutter speed until the buffer filled, then released the button after the next shot and measured the time for the card access light to turn off meaning the data had been written (single card). I repeated this with the two types of card I have. As the only variable is the card write speed it's a reasonable test...obviously it starts writing before the buffer fills, but that only takes a couple of seconds so it's not hugely significant.

The Sandisk Ultra has 20MB/s max theoretical write speed and takes 43s to write the 24 files totalling 652MB - an actual write speed of 15MB/s
The Sandisk Extreme Pro (90MB/s) took 18s ish to write the same data in the same conditions - an actual write speed of 36MB/s
If the Extreme Pro was able to run at full speed it would take only 6s to write.
04-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
The Sandisk Ultra has 20MB/s max theoretical write speed and takes 43s to write the 24 files totalling 652MB - an actual write speed of 15MB/s
The Sandisk Extreme Pro (90MB/s) took 18s ish to write the same data in the same conditions - an actual write speed of 36MB/s
If the Extreme Pro was able to run at full speed it would take only 6s to write.

This fits well to other experiences made by several people, The limiting element is the camera, which delivers a maximum write speed of 36 MB/s.

I'm really interested in the real write speed of the K-1.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am curious as to how you measure this. Would you care to give a step-by-step description? Steve
We did it the same way as victormeldrew described it, which is fine - as I have written above - for comparative tests - of different cards at the same equipment. I'm using "sandisk extreme 64 GB" and
"Transcend SDXC UHS-I U3 128GB Speicherkarte (95 MB/s Lesen, 60MB/s Schreiben)"

Last edited by joergens.mi; 04-07-2016 at 09:44 PM.