Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 10:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Program K-50 Green Button for Preview "Test Shot"?

On my K-100D I can push the power switch lever that goes around the shutter button over a notch to trip the shutter and take a test shot that shows up on the LCD screen to check (mainly) my exposure settings. It's a feature I appreciate and use a lot, especially when working from manual settings.

The K-50, which I got because it takes video (a feature which I'm not using as much as I thought I would) and is weather resistant, does not work that way. I managed to program the preview trip to the RAW/Fx button over on the left side of the body, but it's really hard to find by feeling around for it while trying to compose a shot and really awkward to use while trying to keep a moving subject in focus, as I usually focus with my left hand, keeping my right hand on the shutter button.

Is there any way to re program the test shot release to operate off of the green button, which is located much more conveniently just behind the shutter release?

If it's in the user's manual I have yet to find it.

04-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
BTW - I'm running a PENTAX-A 1:4 70-210mm Zoom on a 2x Vivitar MC Tele Converter extension tube, so I've got a lot of lens hanging out there. When shooting offhand at wildlife etc. I like to support the weight of the lens with my left hand, but in order to take a test shot I have to move that left hand back to the body to find the little FX button, leaving the weight of the whole assembly on the body held in my right hand, or reach over the top of the body with my right finger and grope around for it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
04-05-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Digital preview can only be mapped to the raw button, as you're already doing.

One feature that the K-50 has that the K100D didn't is live view. I would not underestimate its usefulness for composing your photos

Finally, since the K-50 has faster performance, you might be able to get away with just talking an actual photo in lieu of just doing a digital preview. Keep instant review set to a longer period and you won't ever have to move your hand away form the shutter button.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Back to the book...

Thanks.
I was afraid I was stuck with that out of the way button.
Never quite figured out how to use 'live view" and read somewhere that it had a habit of eating up batteries rapidly if utilized.
I'll have to look up where to extend the review time on the LCD screen.

Here's another question - maybe I should start a new thread, but just took several shots today which show up on image review but none of my PC programs will recognize them. Plugged the SD card into the laptop slot and most of the archival images were there, but no file for today's pictures.
Then plugged the USB patch cord directly into the camera with the SD back in it - again no file or images recognized.

I backed up the card onto an external HD and want to re format it, but hate to lose the several pictures I put on it today.
Thought they were lost but there they are on the review menue. Any way to find and salvage them?

04-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had good luck with the trial version of iSkysoft Data Recovery,