Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

"T" handle with shutter release?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Looking for a "T" handle that has a shutter release button on the end for portrait shooting. I have the K-50 so I can't use a battery grip with the release button so I figured this would be the next best but cant find one. Kind of figured it would exist. Anyone know of any?

04-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not use the timer (say 2 sec) release feature? Since the purpose is to avoid camera shake while pushing the release button.
04-06-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have no idea what a "T" handle is, but finding any add-on handle/bracket that includes a shutter release is unlikely. Pentax does not make such a beast. Traditionally, that functionality would be done using a mechanical cable release threaded onto the regular shutter button. On your K-50, you could leverage the port for wired remote release, but would need to find or make a switch/cable setup.

Steve
04-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
"T" handle. Think of a pistol grip type device screwing into the base of the camera, only coming down from the camera an inch or so and having a round handle attached the width of the camera. An upside down "T" that would be held the same as a battery grip hold. Yes it would be wired and the port makes that easy. And the two second delay won't help with picture orientation. The shutter release button is very uncomfortable for me in portrait orientation. I'm sure I will have to make my own. Shouldn't be too hard.

04-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There have been a few 'grips' posted here and there that were 3-d printed. Most I've seen were just enough to give the camera a little more height to keep your pinky on it.

But the concept could be expanded to make it into a vertical grip without a lot of difficulty, given some 3-d expertise. Wiring the shutter button into the handle would take a bit more work but given access to a parts catalog something could be found that would work. Drill the grip to fit the button, drill a channel to pull wire with and solder it together. The circuit is just make/break for the shutter realease but there is also the half-press focus function that needs accounted for. Might be able to just buy a wired remote and strip the parts out of it. Not as clean as a regular grip as you would still need to feed the wire out and use an external plug to the remote port, but doable.
04-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah I'll just buy a wired one to get the guts and cable. I think I will try to drill and fit something but my son is in school for 3-d printing so that's a very real possibility but I'm thinking aluminum would be better for strength. Thinking about it though, maybe two separate buttons instead of half press would be good. I use back focus now so if the regular two position switch can be de-coupled it would be a plus. An electronic meter will give me that answer. Just need to find a cable end. I have an old electronics background and play with building stuff all the time so nothing scary there. I was just hoping I could just order something and not start another project. An external wire is no big deal as far as being clean to me. I'll post a pic after I get it worked up.
04-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 1wild1 Quote
The shutter release button is very uncomfortable for me in portrait orientation.
Have you considered holding the camera "top to the right"? I often do that and trade off finger duties for the shutter release. Depending on the size of your hands and finger length, that can be a secure hold that allows hands and arms to remain low.

Steve

04-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I tried but the placement of the back button focus was awkward and holding my wrist that direction is worse than the other. Without stretching the thumb to the focus button it's good but I've gotten used to that and like using it. I just tried holding it and trading some finger duties. May be an option, but I'm usually shooting kids sports, soccer right now, and just deciding to flip orientation for a quick shot on the fly if action is closer and doing it quickly and correct finger placement may take some practice. good suggestion though, I appreciate it.
04-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 1wild1 Quote
I'm thinking aluminum would be better for strength.
Unless anodized, aluminum makes a bad handle because it stains your hands.

---------- Post added 04-06-16 at 01:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Have you considered holding the camera "top to the right"?
I do "top to the left" which means your arm is way up in the air but the wrist folds and you can keep the finger placement. Works for me but looks awkward. All in what you are used to I guess.
04-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I figure I'll use a 1" round bar or so and cover it with either foam or just electrical shrink wrap it black. Plastidip would be a good covering also, maybe a leather wrap for a steering wheel would work. Anodized would probably look better but I think a covered metal would be better comfort wise.

I have been using the top to the left and that whole wrist folding is what gets me. I dislocated both wrists as a teen and now those goofy angles don't feel good for too long. Typing on a keyboard like this gets me real quick. I'm constantly popping my wrist while on a computer. I think I am gonna try swapping the fingers though and see how it is.

thanks for the replies
04-08-2016, 02:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Came across this and thought of this thread: Camera Handle Hand Grip Pistol Camera Photo / Cable Canon RS-60E3 Pentax CS-205 | eBay - don't know if it'd work but worth an enquiry to the seller?
04-10-2016, 06:44 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Nas, seeing those trigger handles is what got me looking for a different handle. Just figured it would be better if it went horizontal instead of vertical. I'm thinking of using the guts out of one these though. I guess a simple L bracket could get it done with this also, but wouldn't look as good.