Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2016, 01:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pentax water proof remote control orc-1 - battery change?

Please,

Can someone confirm that can I, or not, change battery in this one. I bought mine several months ago, never use it, just tried once. I had some birthday party about a week ago, and this thing was not able to trigger my camera from about 4, 5 meters away, and I was very ashamed because I was making complete idiot of myself,
hole group of people were waiting for me to set this up.

Only reason for me to use it this time, is I didn't want any self timer shoots, I just wanted to press this little thing when everybody was ready. SHAME !
20,000 actuations my ass !

It didn't trigger not even 20 times ! I ended that group shot with 12 sec. self timer, and after that I realize maybe the battery was gone.

BUT HEY, AFTER I REASSEMBLED THIS LITTLE THING ( and it was sort of hard to do ) I FIND OUT THE BATTERY IS STICK AND HAVE SOME YELLOW PLASTIC ALL OVER IT, SO YOU CANNOT CHANGE IT, UNLESS YOU BROKE EVERYTHING
OBVIOUSLY T IS NOT INTENDED FOR CHANGING .

I mean, what ??! What for any screws on back of it, and inside it???

Later I went on google to find this out, and yes people were complaining about this problem, so what to do ??

Anyone tried this before me ?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 

Last edited by panonski; 04-09-2016 at 03:16 AM.
04-09-2016, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Looks like you might have to bend the probe to get the old battery out, but it should be doable. Worst-case you'd need to do some soldering to patch things up

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2016, 03:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like you might have to bend the probe to get the old battery out, but it should be doable. Worst-case you'd need to do some soldering to patch things up
yes, I realize that , thank you It would not be such a problem, if I will have to do that, I know do soldering Damn
04-09-2016, 04:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For now, I remove yellow ring, just carefully cutted, and pulled it out.
Then I lifted the battery, to see everything.

It seems there are two pressed spots on metal pieces in a front of, and on a bottom of the battery. They are soldered to the electronic board . I tried to lift up one of them on place where this spots stick to the battery, to see are they're gone unpin on a little force of screwdriver from battery, but no.

I don't know is it soldered with some mechanical hot point press technique, or is it just simply pressed into, I believe it's the first. So right know if I will be able to unpin this metals from battery,
or I will have to do some improvizations here...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 
04-09-2016, 04:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I succeded in my second try to unpin battery from metal plates.

Little hard, but managable. Now, I will just need new battery and somehow put this all together again

What a design
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 
04-09-2016, 04:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What a messed up design! I'm not a battery expert, but putting holes in batteries doesn't seem like a terribly good idea.
04-09-2016, 05:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carolina_sky Quote
What a messed up design! I'm not a battery expert, but putting holes in batteries doesn't seem like a terribly good idea.

yes, I would never expect something like this here.. It's so unnecessary... Yet, I understand the feel of chipiest way to make final product with cutting parts,

but this thing just need some plastic arround battery like elsewhere... They save little money, and make unforgettable lousy product...

More important, the product with such unstable reputation becoming pretty useless to anyone who want it reliable and working

Last edited by panonski; 04-09-2016 at 05:39 AM.
04-09-2016, 05:53 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
yes, I would never expect something like this here.. It's so unnecessary... Yet, I understand the feel of chipiest way to make final product with cutting parts,

but this thing just need some plastic arround battery like elsewhere... They save little money, and make unforgettable lousy product...

More important, the product with such unstable reputation becoming pretty useless to anyone who want it reliable and working
This is a low-cost throwaway product if it only worked with 20 applications then you had a bad battery and should return it and get a refund. I have one that has worked for years without any issue.
04-09-2016, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Perhaps a little late now but...

My understanding of this unit is that Pentax considers it to be a consumable, to be discarded when exhausted. Maybe they fear that if opened it will compromise the waterproofing?

Still good luck in getting it back together and working. I bought a JJC unit Here quite cheap and battery replaceable (not waterproof).

Are you sure that the battery exhausted as there is about a 4metre distance limit?
04-09-2016, 06:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JENSEN7474 Quote
This is a low-cost throwaway product if it only worked with 20 applications then you had a bad battery and should return it and get a refund. I have one that has worked for years without any issue.

lucky for you, but here we're talking about reliability of product, not luck of using it. I'm not single one, with this issue .

For professional shots, where I want stable batteries, stable working cameras and other equipment, I would scare to have it. Always some volks don't understand the need of usable and always working photo equipment,
and adresses issues from manufactures products to customers spoilness, because final products are "so damn cheap"... I mean LOL...

Product for serious photography MUST BE RELIABLE ! Not made like this one.

---------- Post added 04-09-16 at 06:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
Perhaps a little late now but...

Are you sure that the battery exhausted as there is about a 4metre distance limit?
yes, it worked only very close to the camera, but even 1 m away not work.

There is no excuse for selling such product, they must inform customers they will not be able to change the battery. There is no point also, to buy another one for spare one, because maybe that one to, will not perform good in action, when the first one become unusable ...
04-09-2016, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

pentax water proof remote control orc-1 - battery change?
As you are aware now This Pentax Brand is disposable and not worth anywhere near what they charge for it.
Throw it out and buy half a dozen of the No Name brand from China @ $1,30 each. I found that they are just as reliable and if not; I'm not chucking $40.00 in the trash.
04-09-2016, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

The battery comes in two forms; one with attached posts for soldering onto circuit boards (like the one you're showing) and another for inserting into a battery holder.

Simply buy the same type as the one on the board at the moment, unsolder the posts that you've left attached to the circuit board, then solder the replacement battery in place. It's a couple of minutes job.

As said elsewhere, this unit is not designed to have the batteries replaced as dismantling compromises the integrity of the water-proofing.. Too late now though! The attached battery is designed to last the life of the unit in normal use, typically 50,000 actuations.

It's not a good idea, if actually achievable, to solder the posts onto the new battery. I think you'll find they're spot-welded.

One other thing. Which Pentax DSLR are you using it with? With some, K50 for example, you can only use these IR remotes from the front as they only have an IR window at the front and designed only for 'line-of-sight'.

Last edited by JohnX; 04-09-2016 at 08:01 AM.
04-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
The battery comes in two forms; one with attached posts for soldering onto circuit boards (like the one you're showing) and another for inserting into a battery holder.

Simply buy the same type as the one on the board at the moment, unsolder the posts that you've left attached to the circuit board, then solder the replacement battery in place. It's a couple of minutes job.

As said elsewhere, this unit is not designed to have the batteries replaced as dismantling compromises the integrity of the water-proofing.. Too late now though! The attached battery is designed to last the life of the unit in normal use, typically 5-10 years.

It's not a good idea, if actually achievable, to solder the posts onto the new battery. I think you'll find they're spot-welded.

One other thing. Which Pentax DSLR are you using it with? With some, K50 for example, you can only use these IR remotes from the front as they only have an IR window at the front.
waterproof mean nothing to me, cause I hold that in my hands, or in my pocket, I'm not diving with it. Besides, I ensure you, this waterproof design is not so waterproof either. Why ?

Well, the case have a hole for little LED, and on that part of case unit, any water can get in very easily, because there is no any rubber protection.

As you correctly suppose and suggest, new battery , and every other battery of this type, will not be soldering to any metal, so I will just add battery between the plates again, and ensure it all stick together very well, of course without any short circuit

piece of cake
04-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

piece of cake
Or so you think...
04-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Or so you think...