Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #1

A question about IBIS.

Hello All,
Thinking about the K1, and wondering if it's easier to provide shake reduction for a larger sensor, a smaller sensor, or essentially the same?
Or, to put it another way, can we look forward to being able to use lower shutter speeds with long lenses on the K1, for the same number of stops available from the SR?
Note that I understand that the K1 provides approx 1/2 stop improvement over K-3 II, and that's not what I'm concerned about here.

Cheers,
Terry

04-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pixel density is what matters here. (The bits about it mattering for noise should be taken with a grain of salt.) In short: more MP = you must use higher shutter speeds. Users of the Canon 5DS/R (a 50MP 35mm monster) are reporting that the reciprocal rule isn't working for them and they must use much higher shutter speeds than they are used to to get blur-free images.

The K-3/II has a higher pixel density than the K-1. Remember that the base rule was always to use the FF equivalent focal length, so a 300mm lens on the K-3 had a "base shutter" speed of 1/450. You need to increase that slightly because the higher pixel density, so 1/500 is probably a good rule of thumb. Apply SR and you're looking at the lowest usable shutter speed is probably 1/125 but keeping it at 1/160 or higher is better.

On a 35mm format, it's 1/300. Given that the density on the K-1 is lower, that means you can probably get away with 1/100 fairly easily. But remember that the SR is better as well, so you may really be able to get those speeds down there. 1/60 handheld? Lower?
04-10-2016, 03:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Hello All,
Thinking about the K1, and wondering if it's easier to provide shake reduction for a larger sensor, a smaller sensor, or essentially the same?
Or, to put it another way, can we look forward to being able to use lower shutter speeds with long lenses on the K1, for the same number of stops available from the SR?
Note that I understand that the K1 provides approx 1/2 stop improvement over K-3 II, and that's not what I'm concerned about here.

Cheers,
Terry
The question is sort of two fold: do you need things sharp at a pixel level or just at a photo level and then how dense are your pixels? The smaller your pixels, the tougher it is to get a pixel sharp image. That said. with full frame, if you are printing/viewing the same size, it will probably be easier to get a sharp photo compared to a K3 II, because you aren't really seeing individual pixels in your image unless you blow it up a large amount.
04-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
osv
Pentaxian

Hello All,
smaller sensors are easier to engineer shake reduction on, they weigh less and they are smaller... with sony mirrorless, native glass optical stabilization takes over two of the five stabilization directions, because ibis has limited focal length support, due to how far it can physically move the sensor to compensate... bigger sensors will have to be moved further in some directions.

some of that limitation might be due to the rather narrow throat diameter of sony e-mount, i'm not really sure about that, we'll see when the k-1 comes out what the longest fl is that you can enter into the k-mount system.

due to the physical differences in sensor sizes, it's premature to make any guesses as to which will have the most effective ibis.

i'd expect that they'd be at least equal, if the field of view was the same for both.