Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #1

A Pentax Warranty Question

Amazon has the K3 w/18-135mm at a good price through an affiliate, Eagle Camera. Amazon assures me that the camera has a 1 year warranty, although Eagle is not an authorized Pentax dealer. The customer rep based their opinion on the specs page that does list a 1 year warranty.

Does Pentax have a different system for honoring warranties. I think Amazon is making an honest mistake, but I think they must be mistaken.

Is there any way Pentax has a warranty on cameras sold by a non authorized dealer?

Jack

04-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eagle Camera is a grey market seller. Amazon should, however, honor your guarantee. But, have a look at the prices at B&H and at Adorama, both authorised dealers, and then make a decision.
04-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Eagle Camera is a grey market seller. Amazon should, however, honor your guarantee. But, have a look at the prices at B&H and at Adorama, both authorised dealers, and then make a decision.
Thanks, Mark!
04-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
Does Pentax have a different system for honoring warranties. I think Amazon is making an honest mistake, but I think they must be mistaken.
The system is simple: if the dealer from which you purchased the camera is authorized by Ricoh, you're eligible for warranty coverage. Amazon is an authorized dealer, so if they're the ones fulfilling the order, you're covered. However, if you deal directly with a third-party seller through Amazon, and that seller turns out not to be authorized, then you'll be at the mercy of Precision/Ricoh.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Note too Adam's "Deal Roundup here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/318649-b-h-adorama-...th-2016-a.html
04-11-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-3 and 18-135 kit is available at Adorama or B and H for $989.

---------- Post added 04-11-16 at 07:50 PM ----------

I spoke to a Pentax/Ricoh customer service representative one time and she said that if the offer is described as "Fulfillment By Amazon" as the offer you are referring to is, then the Pentax/Ricoh warranty would be valid as long as you retain the receipt. The thing to do is retain your receipt, which would prove your purchase, and the warranty and serial no. cards that should be "included in the box" parts of your purchase.

What "Fulfillment By Amazon" means is that the item(s) are stored in an Amazon distribution center and shipped/processed by Amazon for the seller. Amazon is an authorized Pentax dealer.

The Ricoh Imaging Customer Care number for Ricoh or Pentax products is 800-234-0276.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-11-2016 at 05:34 PM.
04-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience is this:

I bought my K50 and DA 18-135 from an Amazon dealer in Canada. They listed the sale as refurbished but admitted that they were new in fact. When my camera needed service I asked and they assured me that a simple sales receipt from Amazon would work with Pentax USA - and it did. This was just after Precision took over. I had zero difficulty with that aspect - dealing with Precision was an entirely different problem.