Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2016, 08:04 AM   #1

Is Video in KS2 or K3 better than K50?

I have a K50 and love the camera. I use it exclusively with the 55-300WR lens. For stills, I find this combination really works for me. I primarily shoot small animals in my yard and big game animals in Teton and Yellowstone.

Although I'm primarily a stills shooter, I occasionally like to shoot an interesting video clip, always without panning. In the next few weeks I'll be getting either a KS2 or a K3 w/18-135WR. Will either of these cameras do a better job with short video clips than my K50? I've read all I can find but nothing is really clear related to video. I don't expect miracles, just needing to know if either of the newer cameras is better in any way than my K50. I think I've read that the K3 has better IS.

Thanks for any input, folks.

Jack

Last edited by Setter Dog; 04-14-2016 at 08:10 AM. Reason: add a lens note
04-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
I think I've read that the K3 has better IS.
The K-3 has only digital IS in video, this should be the same with the K-50. I think the only improvement in video is the posibility to connect a external microphone
04-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
The K-3 has only digital IS in video, this should be the same with the K-50. I think the only improvement in video is the posibility to connect a external microphone
DP Review said this in their K3 Review:

"The camera does offer sensor shift-based shake reduction (Movie SR) during video capture. We've been pretty impressed with how steady the results are, and haven't seen any of the odd psychedelic warping that can occur when rolling shutter combines with digital correction."

I'm not sure what that means?? Is it just digital stabilization?

Jack
04-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The camera does offer sensor shift-based shake reduction (Movie SR) during video capture
that means the sensor moves but i think this is wrong for the K-3

this review might be of interest for you
Pentax K-3 Review - Movie/Video Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

04-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DP Review said this in their K3 Review: "The camera does offer sensor shift-based shake reduction (Movie SR) during video capture. We've been pretty impressed with how steady the results are, and haven't seen any of the odd psychedelic warping that can occur when rolling shutter combines with digital correction."
Yup, this is wrong. No Pentax camera since the K-5 series has had mechanical video SR.

The K-3 supports 1080/60i and an external mic.

The K-S2 makes changing video exposure modes much easier, by allowing you to use the mode dial instead of forcing you into the menus.

Both of the above cameras have a better screen with a 3:2 aspect ratio, which results in a significantly larger live view image. In terms of video image quality, though, they should all be comparable.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
that means the sensor moves but i think this is wrong for the K-3

this review might be of interest for you
Pentax K-3 Review - Movie/Video Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Well, that certainly spells it out and doesn't pull any punches. I'm somewhat disappointed but not surprised. Thanks for that link!

Jack
04-14-2016, 10:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, that certainly spells it out and doesn't pull any punches. I'm somewhat disappointed but not surprised. Thanks for that link!

Jack
The lack of sensor-based SR for video is a pet peeve and common cause for rant for many of the video users on this site. The firmware-based SR is OK, but can result in some disconcerting artifact if there is abrupt movement. I have it turned off.

Steve