Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2016, 06:37 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

bought a k-3II instead of K-1

So Ive been drooling over the K-1, but I pulled the trigger on a lightly used k-3II. I mainly shoot wildlife and occasionally landscape. The k-1 would have really been reaching too far for the famiy budget right now and if Im honest there is likely no real advantage for wildlife applications. At least not a 1200 dollar advantage. <br />
<br />
This will also allow me to have money to pick up a flash to help round out my kit. <br />
<br />
It should be here in a few days and im excitied but anious as im hoping for a reap improvement in autofocus over the k-5- which it seems i should get. Ill post some thoughts once its in hand. <br />
<br />
Anyone else switch from the k-5 original to k-3II? Thoughts?

04-15-2016, 06:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went from K-5 to K-3 and I can see the difference. The K-3 II is supposed to be even better
04-15-2016, 06:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you're right. The K-3 has better resolution than the K-1 would if you cropped it to the same field of view (24 mp vs 16). You might get a little better high iso performance, but if wildlife's the focus then you probably made a prudent choice.
04-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have been contemplating this myself. The K-3II has a lot of great features that are the same as the K-1 at half the price. K-3II is also smaller. But I have waited so long to upgrade from my K-5 makes the K-1 so tempting. Still you can not beat the price on the K-3II.

04-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #5

For wildlife shooting in particular, I think you clearly made the right choice.

The K-1 looks to be a spectacular camera, but besides its pricing, I think its real forte will be producing the highest-quality landscape, architecture, and studio photos this side of a 100MP Hasselblad with its 36MP pixel-shift mode. Considering the pixel-shift modes on the K-3 II and Olympus E-M5 II produce better image quality than a 36MP FF D810 (assuming no subject movement, of course!), I am really looking forward to seeing how amazing the samples from the K-1 are going to look.
04-15-2016, 08:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I went from K-5 to K-3ii. Bigger files, more detail, more camera tools to play with like focus peaking, faster camera CPU... alltogether more a 2015 experience rather than 2010. I don't particularly use AF so don't know any the difference there.
04-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went from K-5 to K-3II and the difference is palpable. Physically they are very similar and the build quality is the same - excellent. The resolution is better (lack of AA filter and more megapixellage), the autofocus is much improved, the shutter is even quieter, the mirror is tightly-controlled so no slap or thump. Don't forget the pixel-shift too; on a tripod for landscapes it makes the resolution even better. For back-button focusing, the button is better placed than on the K-5. You'll be very pleased.

04-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the K-5, actually two of them and now have the K-5IIS and K-3II. The K-5IIS is a fantastic camera, and in itself is definitely an image resolution and AF advancement compared to the K-5. Though the K-5IIS is a camera that delivers superior results, the K-3II has a resolution/detail factor that contributes even more to the image quality, and the AF seems to perform in long distance and moving subject shooting (example: bird in flight) in a more advanced manner. There are also features such as the dual SD card slots, built in GPS, and Pixel Shift Resolution, along with others, that contribute to the K-3II. I have been really pleased with it.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-15-2016 at 08:43 AM.
04-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am a believer in the crop frame bodies when it comes to telephoto work...a 200 on FF becomes a 300 equivalent, 300 becomes a 450 etc. and the crop-frame on the K-1 has lower resolution than the k-3ii's uncropped frame.
04-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K200d to K3II = slightly outside your question, but OMG! The features differences and overall quality is wonderful! I love the new astro + GPS recording features! FF is nice, but with all the tools in the K3II, I should be entertained for years! That said . . . time to start saving for the P645 replacement! :-) I still have tons of film to use and the trusty Spotmatic, MZS etc!
04-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Though the K-1 will most likely deliver excellent results with the 16 mp crop mode for those that will be utilizing the feature, jeverettfine is correct in saying that the 24 mp (such as K-3II) takes the detail/resolution to an even higher level. For those that acquire the K-1, they will have the 36 mp advantage when the full frame mode is utillized, and the aps-c mode will be available in a very accomodating way, providing excellent results, but not with quite as much possible resolution in some cases as with the 24 mp aps-c camera (example : K-3II). It is really a matter of what the user immediately needs (requires).

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-15-2016 at 09:16 AM.
04-15-2016, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I traded in my K5 for a K3II as well and could not be happier.
I am noticing cleaner images and very smooth operation of the GPS and Astrotracer feature vs the more clunky O-GPS1.
A tremendous value at that price point too!
04-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Where you will see the biggest benefit is cropping as a lot of times when it comes to BIF, animals, etc. You always seem to be too far away.

Have fun with it!

Randy
04-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Might have been a better choice for me too....I shoot mostly wildlife. However, I can do the same cropping with the K1 and have both worlds. In reality, the K3 would have been a smarter choice for me and a better value by far. Still...when Mrs Rupert offered to give me her new credit card for the K1, I couldn't turn it down. Was that wrong of me?

Regards!
04-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Might have been a better choice for me too....I shoot mostly wildlife. However, I can do the same cropping with the K1 and have both worlds. In reality, the K3 would have been a smarter choice for me and a better value by far. Still...when Mrs Rupert offered to give me her new credit card for the K1, I couldn't turn it down. Was that wrong of me?

Regards!
I isn't wrong if she let's me use it too

Randy