Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh Booth at Fotocon in Victoria, Canada

LondonDrugs, a Canadian retailer who has carried Pentax for 40+ years, had their annual FotoCon exhibit at my local outlet today. I ventured in not expecting to see much from Ricoh but hoped I would at least get a chance o put my hands on a K-1. To my surprise, Ricoh had the most impressive booth (table actually) at the show - rivaled only by the Canon booth for diversity of products on display. All of the major players were represented, Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Sony, Olympus, Sigma and of course Ricoh. But only the Ricoh display presented both their full range of DSLRs, lenses, the Theta, a WG and binoculars. Missing were the 645Z and Q lines however. The other brands stuck mostly to their DSLR bodies and few, if any, lenses. Of course the Canon booth was lined up 3 deep while I had the Pentax rep pretty much to myself except for one other enthusiast who was there part of the time.

The Ricoh rep let me handle the K-1 (pre-production apparently) as well as the newer lenses in their line up (24-70mm was not there) and gave me a demo of the Theta (very impressive). The K-1 felt fantastic and only slightly more hefty than the K-3. All aspects of the new full frame appear to be up to the usual high quality builds of other upper end Pentax DSLRs. I asked about shipping date and the rep said April 23rd in Canada. The rep couldn't share any samples from the K-1 as he said it was still pre-production and wasn't up to the release version standards. If they are shipping in a week I sure hope whatever he found sub-standard is eliminated and we aren't all waiting for future firmware fixes to correct issues.

All in all I would say Ricoh is putting their best foot forward on this full frame release and, if the camera sells well and gets as much press as I think it should, the whole brand should do better as a result. I know all of you do your part to support them

04-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why is it I always miss out on these events?
04-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
What? A k1 is just down the road? Damn... I missed it.
Hopefully LD will carry the K1... Give me an opportunity to handle one while deciding if it's worth the plunge
04-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

London Drugs has it on line so I would think it will be in many of their stores tool

04-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I live up island from Victoria, but was away for the event. Wish I could have attended
04-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My impression from the rep and the London Drugs sales person was that they would be carrying the K-1 in their stores as well as on-line.
04-16-2016, 05:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It is only about a week until the 23rd.

04-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ordered mine through the local London Drugs store here on March 6th. The next week will be excruciating.
04-16-2016, 06:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

How on earth did I miss this??!!!??!

Choked to say the least

---------- Post added 04-16-16 at 18:45 ----------

Also, wondering if the rep had a show special K-1 with him, one that's been doing the rounds at various events
04-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ricoh will show up in Regina in may
2016 Regina Trade Show: May 13th and 14th

We’re very happy to announce that the Regina Trade Show is back for its fourteenth year! Join us at Don’s Photo on May 13th and May 14th for western Canada’s best and most exciting photographic trade show.
04-16-2016, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I live up island from Victoria, but was away for the event. Wish I could have attended
Sunday in Nanaimo. Rutherford Store

---------- Post added 04-16-16 at 07:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
Sunday in Nanaimo. Rutherford Store
Here are the rest of the London Drug dates.

LDFotocon 2016 - London Drugs
04-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Also, wondering if the rep had a show special K-1 with him, one that's been doing the rounds at various events
There was no show special at the Henry's K-1 presentation. When asked, the response from the Ricoh rep was "Japan doesn't feel an incentive is required".
04-16-2016, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Hmmm. Ricoh is really making noises. I hope they continue to do so. I wonder when will they come to the provinces in the Philippines, particularly here in Iloilo. I've never seen them make waves here. After all, the cameras are made here in Cebu. It would be great to have such a bang here.
04-16-2016, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #14

Aww, man! I just saw the email about Fotocon a couple days ago but was already scheduled at work. Had I known there was a Pentax rep with a K-1, I may have made some adjustments...

And judging by the other responses, who knew there was so many Pentaxians in the Victoria area?!?
04-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, now. Maybe I'll hop over to Nanaimo tomorrow.