Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #16
Inactive Account

For what it's worth, I've used the DR function the K200D and K20D with little to no success - each time I ended up getting the blower out (and for the K200D, sensor swabs).

DR is better than no DR I guess, but at least in my case it's been useless.

07-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, K100d supports SDHC, if yours doesn't then upgrade the firmware.

No disrespect but............. if you got a k100d of ebay then you are obviously on a budget. Will you every buy SDM lenses? If you had $1000 would you buy a lense or or K20d?

I agree that it is not correct of the seller to do what he did but if you send it back:
1. how long will you be without a camera?
2. how much shipping charges
3. will you have to wait for a refund?

If the K100d is learning tool for you then keep it and learn how to clean the sensor. If you mess it up then at least it's only a k100d not a k20d.

mike
07-12-2008, 04:02 AM   #18
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
keep it. And get rebate from dealer as suggested above. K100D is very capable in deed. If you are on the budget you won't miss SDM support at all. You can live without DR too. Get some cash back and invest it into accessories...
07-13-2008, 05:02 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, you're right I'm on a budget and probably won't buy expensive lenses. It would be nice if the guy answered my emails though but hey..thanks for all the help, it's really helped me decide what to do!

07-13-2008, 05:31 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Dust Removal system is something close to a miracle, IMO. I kept it turned off for a bit and there was dust everywhere. Turned it back on at startup and very rarely get dust... only a few bits which get removed fairly quickly. Have not needed to clean the sensor in some months. Amazing feature!
07-16-2008, 06:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The Dust Removal system is something close to a miracle, IMO. I kept it turned off for a bit and there was dust everywhere. Turned it back on at startup and very rarely get dust... only a few bits which get removed fairly quickly. Have not needed to clean the sensor in some months. Amazing feature!
I didn't even realize I didn't have dust removal turned on, until someone in another forum noticed sensor contamination from the photos I posted. I took the lens off and looked, and sure enough I could see some specs on the sensor. I closed the camera up, turned on dust reduction a couple of times and checked again. The dust is gone. Now I'll leave dust reduction enabled on startup.

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
"SDM" is the name given to Pentax's new lenses that focus noiselessly and are weather-sealed. I think SDM stands for supersonic drive motor.
SDM lenses are not necessarily weather-sealed. The DA 17-70mm for example is SDM but not weather-sealed. It's likely that will be the pattern for DA lenses, SDM, but not weather-sealed. The pricier DA* lenses are weather-sealed.
07-16-2008, 06:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
SDM lenses are not necessarily weather-sealed. The DA 17-70mm for example is SDM but not weather-sealed. It's likely that will be the pattern for DA lenses, SDM, but not weather-sealed. The pricier DA* lenses are weather-sealed.
Yes, thanks for the correction, Dan.

Will

07-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I shall have to try not to get too dusty. Absolutely no deserts. Or old cupboards.
07-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #24

I'm sure DR probably knocks off some of the dust, but usually when I notice that there is dust on the sensor, I run a couple of DR cycles, and then I have to get the blower bulb out and clean the sensor anyway, because there is still dust on it. To minimize having to do this, I just try to be careful what conditions I change lenses under, I try to change them as quickly as I can with a reasonable amount of care, I don't let lenses sit around without a rear lens cap on, I do clean my camera bags out from time to time, and I also try to keep the lenses and camera bodies clean. I thought that when I got the first camera I owned that had DR(Sony A100) I would never need to clean the sensor again. But I was wrong, and so when I switched systems to Pentax equipment last year, I didn't expect that DR would completely eliminate sensor cleanings, and I this time I was right. Don't get me wrong, it's not that big a problem to clean the sensor if you're reasonably careful, but it isn't something I enjoy either.
07-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I wouldn't care for Pentax DR it is useless anyway.
I have istD and K10D, one with DR one without. Doesn't make much difference for me.
I think basic K100D is missing support for new SDM lenses. If this is the case, and you are planning to buy SDM lenses in a future, then I would ask for refund.
07-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
The regular K100D does not have SDHC support to my knowledge
The first firmware upgrade solves that.

QuoteQuote:
It does not have DR
Not particularly effective as tests have shown.. I would not pay extra for it.

QuoteQuote:
does not support SDM motors
Most of those lenses are fairly pricey, so, are they in the budget, anyway? If not, the point is moot.

I would contact the seller and ask for a little discount - perhaps as much as it would cost him to have it shipped back (if his advertisement was misleading.)
07-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #27
Forum Member

I can understand your frustration - why is it that this kind of stuff has to happen!?! You buy a K100D Super, you should get a K100D Super - it's not rocket science!

That being said, as others have suggested, I'd just live with it - if the camera functions, then think of it as a positive - you could have bought another listing and ended up with a K100D Super that is in worse condition, has a minor irritation, didn't turn up, was missing accessories, etc etc...

AND as for HSM - non of the pancakes or limiteds have HSM, just buy them

PS, I just bought a used K100D (non-Super) and *ist D on Ebay (fingers crossed they pass all of my above checks!) and I didn't even consider the whole "super or not" issue.

Enjoy your new camera and cross that supplier off your "to be ever used again" list
07-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rhonalou Quote
Thanks, you're right I'm on a budget and probably won't buy expensive lenses. It would be nice if the guy answered my emails though but hey..thanks for all the help, it's really helped me decide what to do!
Don't let this drop! The "normal" K100D is one fine camera, (I have one as my backup body), but you paid for a Super. You most likely paid too much. Maybe not a lot, but some. Contact ebay today! This seller should not get away with false advertising.

Please keep us updated.
07-18-2008, 02:33 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks very much for your help, I really appreciate it. As I have been using the camera constantly and apart from the dust thing I have nothing to complain about, I'm going to keep it and have spoken to ebay - also remembered the guy threw in a free book which is pretty good, and as I love the camera I can't be bothered to complain - no feedback from me though..

I would really appreciate some help if anyone can be bothered to improve my compositions and technique so am posting a portrait on the want help bit that just doesn't cut it the way I want it to.

thanks all again for your advice, it's a great help