Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K100d vs K100d Super - what to do

I have purchased - as my first SLR purchase - a k100d super for a very good price second hand. Upon receipt today, it transpires that it was (probably accidentally) misadvertised on ebay, and it is in fact a k100d which I have received. I specifically wanted the super for the higher specifications, particularly the dust removal system, which was why I went for Pentax over Canon in the first place.

Really stuck now - should I make a fuss and get a refund, or stick to the camera I have received? Seems to be as good as new, but it doesn't have that additional spec that I wanted. As I'm a beginner, does it really matter? (I WILL be changing lenses and expect to switch from the kit to a 50mm F1.4 standard lens a fair amount). Second hand supers seem to be quite hard to find which doesn't help.

Advice appreciated...

Last edited by rhonalou; 07-11-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo!
07-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the reason why you bought the camera was for the DR system then it obviously matters to you that this camera won't have it. You should email the seller, tell them the camera was not a Super, and file a complaint with eBay that the item you received does not match the description in the ad.

Beginner or not, the DR does make a difference and was one of the reasons I decided to upgrade my K100D to a K10D.
07-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks, kind of thought someone might say that..grr I really wanted to get going and take some pictures!!
07-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by rhonalou Quote
I have purchased - as my first SLR purchase - a k100d super for a very good price second hand. Upon receipt today, it transpires that it was (probably accidentally) misadvertised on ebay, and it is in fact a k100d which I have received. I specifically wanted the super for the higher specifications, particularly the dust removal system, which was why I went for Pentax over Canon in the first place.

Really stuck now - should I make a fuss and get a refund, or stick to the camera I have received? Seems to be as good as new, but it doesn't have that additional spec that I wanted. As I'm a beginner, does it really matter? (I WILL be changing lenses and expect to switch from the kit to a 50mm F1.4 standard lens a fair amount). Second hand supers seem to be quite hard to find which doesn't help.

Advice appreciated...
As far as I know you're giving up SDM lens support and dust reduction.

If you are planning to buy a lens that is SDM only or have a pressing need for SDM, then this might be a huge deal.

As far as the cameras with dust reduction I've used(pentax and sony), it didn't seem to make much difference, I still ended up needing to get the blower bulb out and blow dust off the sensor.

For me the big question would be price. If I got a great deal on the K100D and didn't absolutely require SDM, I would probably just keep it and use it. If I found that I had paid more than the average K100D goes for thinking it was a K100D Super and it turned out to be a K100D, I would probably send it back and ask for a refund.

07-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks, that's interesting what you say about the dust reduction, from what you say it's not that much of a benefit which I assumed that it would be. I've paid approximately the going rate for the 100d second hand, and it's hard to tell what the super goes for as so few of them seem to be around (which in itself suggests to me that it's a better deal..). I did think I was getting a bit of a bargain so that would be why!
07-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #6

make a fuss and get what you paid for a k100d super.
07-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DR is a benefit, but not a miracle. You still need to take a blower to it from time to time. You would just need to do it more often. I'd be more concerned with the SDM support than the DR.

07-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I recently bought a K100D Super from Argos as its end of line so got it for £280, although 5 days later it was £250! Grrrrrrr!

I never even used the DR, until my brother turned it on!
And what is SDM?

It was the low lense prices and that the old Ks fit that swayed me...
07-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPZ Quote
And what is SDM?
Pentax's version of HSM, USM, etc., (in-lens focusing motor).

Dust Buster is great to have, but as has been mentioned, you will need a bulb blower too.

I wouldn't file a complaint just yet. First thing you need to do, and do it right away, is to contact the seller. Will he give you a price break? Full refund? Replacement? Find out what he has to say.

If he (or she) is unresponsive, then contact your credit card company to dispute the charge and then notify ebay.
07-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've done a lot of selling on eBay. eBay has some fairly strict - and reasonable - rules about how sellers should behave. You may have some "rights" here within eBay's little universe but you probably need to assert them (i.e. complain) fairly quickly.

What makes you think it was an accident? If you sell something as a K100D Super, when it's just a K100D, that looks to me like there was an attempt to deceive. If the seller said that it was a "super K100D" or "K100D - super camera!" or something like that, well, that seems borderline. Wasn't there a photo of the camera displayed? Did you get the camera that was shown in the photo?

Anyway, as has been said already, the lack of dust reduction is probably not a huge deal. Inability to use the hypersonic focusing capability of the (very expensive) SDM lenses might not matter to you either. So it's really up to you. If you got a camera you're happy with, you might decide to keep it. After all, it's possible that, if you complain, you'll have to send the camera back, get a refund from the seller, and then end up paying more money for a real K100D Super that has these features that don't matter that much to you anyway.

Will

P.S. "SDM" is the name given to Pentax's new lenses that focus noiselessly and are weather-sealed. I think SDM stands for supersonic drive motor. I have the Pentax DA* 50-135 f/2.8 which is one of these lenses. It's widely believed that these lenses focus faster, although I don't think that's really the case. What is true is that they focus silently, and actually that can be disconcerting, as it's somewhat difficult to tell when the lens thinks the focus is locked on target. I like the 50-135 but I paid full price for it not long after it came out ($900) and to be honest I'm not sure it's hugely better than the 16-45 f/4 which cost very substantially less. And I am not crazy about the idea of putting expensive stuff that we have to pay for into the lenses themselves. I like knowing that, with a Pentax system, I'm not paying for image stabilization in every lens. Since the camera can focus, why should I pay for a focusing motor in the lens? I want good clear sharp optics and that's about it. The weather-sealing, well, that could matter to some people. The SDM seems to me a gimmick not worth paying for. But other brands of cameras have them too. Sigma makes them (called "HSM" in Sigma lenses) and I'm not sure about Tamron.
07-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The regular K100D does not have SDHC support to my knowledge (no SD-cards above 2GB)... It does not have DR and does not support SDM motors (and it will not autofocus at all with lenses such as the new 17-70mm f/4 SDM)
If Pentax continues to release lenses such as the 17-70mm without screw motor slot, you are... kinda "screwed" AF wise... same as Nikon with their D40/x/60, only opposite(older lenses will focus, newer won't).

You will get AF with all lenses except the new KAF3 lenses that does not have screw drive, only the SDM drive.

If Pentax continues to introduce new lenses with KAF3 mount, you will not be able to get AF on those new lenses unless you have a K100D SUPER/K10D or newer camera. (K100D does not support KAF3)

This means that if Pentax decides to cut the screw drives on new lenses you will not get AF on new lenses that does not support screw-drive AF.

In short: A K100D is at a disadvantage to the K100D SUPER on new AF technology.

Last edited by Shashinki; 07-11-2008 at 03:43 PM.
07-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I agree with WMBP fully.....
I too buy and sell on ebay, but never had a problem...
07-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
great info and advice, thanks all. re. Argos - that's a shocker, I've just checked it. I think I'll be returning the mis-advertised camera..
07-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If byou didn't pay too much for it, maybe you can get a rebate from the seller and make it a nice cheap second body. I received a lens that had some issues, but was a good price. The seller agreed to give a 25% rebate, because of this.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by rhonalou Quote
great info and advice, thanks all. re. Argos - that's a shocker, I've just checked it. I think I'll be returning the mis-advertised camera..
07-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
The regular K100D does not have SDHC support to my knowledge (no SD-cards above 2GB)...
the 4gb card in my k100 would like to disagree. very first firmware update after the k100d release gave it SDHC support...