Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Second Body Question.

I have question about a second Body. Let me explain.

I currently have a K10D with Grip and my first DA* lens (which is relevent)
Now, I have a number of Manual lenses, which work great with my DS, but for some reason I can never get the dioptre right for the K10D (I wear glasses) consequently, the DS is so much better with manual lenses than my K10D.

Now, the question is What additional body should I go for?

Options are

1. current K10D as primary, with K100D Super as backup
2. Current K10D Primary, with a new K200D as backup
3. K20D as primary, and K10D as backup

What has also to be taken into consideration, is the focusing issue I am having with the K10 but not the DS, and the fact that I am now the owner of an SDM lens (with more to come), but want to continue with the manual gear

help please

07-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would never go for choice #2, because I wouldn't have a low-light camera.

K20D is good in low-light situations(due to CMOS sensor design), and the K100D is as well(due to fewer pixels).

It's 1 or 2 in my book, and if you want to spend some cash go for no.1 + extra cool lenses!
07-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
I have question about a second Body. Let me explain.

I currently have a K10D with Grip and my first DA* lens (which is relevent)
Now, I have a number of Manual lenses, which work great with my DS, but for some reason I can never get the dioptre right for the K10D (I wear glasses) consequently, the DS is so much better with manual lenses than my K10D.

Now, the question is What additional body should I go for?

Options are

1. current K10D as primary, with K100D Super as backup
2. Current K10D Primary, with a new K200D as backup
3. K20D as primary, and K10D as backup

What has also to be taken into consideration, is the focusing issue I am having with the K10 but not the DS, and the fact that I am now the owner of an SDM lens (with more to come), but want to continue with the manual gear

help please
If yoou want SDM motors in the future and you want to continue with manual lenses, then you have to keep the DS no matter what else you do.

It is not (I believe) a question of diopter for the K10D, As I wear glasses also and do not take my glasses off when I shoot. The deciding issue with the DS is it supports TTL flash, and as such, you can use it with an AF500FTZ or AF540 FGZ to take flash photos with the DS and manual lenses.

If you want a back up body for a new purchase, I would keep the K10 and add a K20, thatway the controls are the same.
07-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My advice: (1) go with the K10D/K20D option as the answer to "which cameras to buy?" and (2) figure out the problem with the diopter.

I have an *ist DS, a K10D and a K20D. These are my backup-backup, backup and primary bodies respectively. I shoot mostly with the K10D/K20D because the controls are (virtually) identical and that matters A LOT to me. I'm totally used to the two e-dial system now and don't like being without both dials.

As for your eyes, I wear glasses, too. For a while, when I was taking photographs, I wore an old librarian-style glasses holder so I could pop the glasses off my face and let them hang on my chest; then I could look into the finder with my eyes. The diopter pushed all the way to one side was just about right to adjust for me. But I finally broke down and got contacts and now, when I shoot, I wear contacts. MUCH better, although of course I don't recommend this solution to anybody as there is both cost and some annoyance involved.

Will

07-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
Forum Member

I wonder about a split screen focus screen to replace the matte focus screen as a possibility?

I've been toying with the idea of the split screen myself, but hoping someone is braver than I in replacing theirs. This would be very helpful with manual focus lenses I would think.......thus my interest as I have many manual lenses by various manufacturers and though I don't wear glasses ( yet?? ) I am finding that I need them to read now so probably won't be long till I'm in the same boat.

To answer your original question, I the K20/K10 combo would be best, as a previous poster mentioned the controls are the same.

I have the K100/K20 combo now ( for about 6 weeks!! ) and I find it hard already when I go back to the K100 to not have as much 'on the body' control........IMHO

JS
07-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #6

If yoou want SDM motors in the future and you want to continue with manual lenses, th

And what would be the problem using manual lenses on such cameras ?
07-13-2008, 02:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all, I think you are right with the K20D/K10D combo.

As for the focusing issue, if Pentax can make a split screen option for the K10D (like my Praktica) then that would be the best option....:-)

For some reason I have no problem focusing with the manual lenses on the DS, but somehow the K10D is a pain for me.

I will try with my contacts on instead (not that I wear them much....)

Once again, thanks
07-13-2008, 07:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There are third party splitscreens for K10D. I use one.

For second camera I will get a Canon 5D or an Olympus. You would not be able to use the DA though, but the manuals .