Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2016, 06:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

The K100D is a brilliant camera that takes great pictures, and I love mine, but if you're shooting sports it's not for you. The sensor is magnificent and the rendering is lovely, but the AF and burst rate are slow, the buffer is small and the shutter sound could wake the dead. Control layout is different from the K-7/5/3 too so it can be difficult to go from one to another quickly. In fact, a K-7 could make a decent back up body - the high ISO performance isn't as good as the later models but it's still a nice fast machine, the control layout is nearly identical to your K-3 and the prices can be very good.

04-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
the buffer is small and the shutter sound could wake the dead.
LOL - that's funny. And true.
05-20-2016, 06:18 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
LOL - that's funny. And true.
I too have a K100D since it was launched and it has been a great camera. It was my first DSLR and I have incredible pictures taken with it. I have printed 11x14's with it that you would never know came from a 6MP camera. The K100D proves that megapixels aren't everything when it comes to IQ. I now have a Pentax K5II, which is a much better camera, but I'm still astonished as to how good photos look form the K100D. I've been thinking about selling it, but for the little I would get for it, I decided to keep it. Eventually I will upgrade to a K3II and my K5II will become my backup camera. I will most likely give the K100D to my wife or my grandson which would make a good first DSLR to learn from.
05-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #19

Excellent back-up camera

I have and still own and use my K100D. Good solid basic camera without all the new features. With a little understanding of photography techniques the K100D will give one good results. Reminds me of the K1000 film camera that was used by many schools to teach photography. I also own a K-7 and a K-S2 and many times I will grab my 100d and have a good time with my old friend!!

05-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K100 great for stills like portraits. poor in low light due to the performance above ISO 800. would not be suitable for fast action unless you are good at prefocusing and anticipating action.

Randy
05-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #21
Site Supporter

My only DSLR is a K110D, which is like the K100 but without shake reduction...and possibly some other feature(s). It might end up being the only DSLR I ever own, since I got it so that I had one digital body I could use my film (K or m42 screw) lenses on, and it works great for that. Right now it has a Sears (Tokina) m42 90-230mm f4.5 zoom on it, via a Pentax K to m42 adapter. Shooting old manual lenses on it is fun, but I have more automatic options if I put an SMC Pentax-A lens on it. I think I paid between 70 and 80 $US for the K110 (body only) a few years ago.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 05-21-2016 at 08:59 PM.