Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2008, 10:29 AM   #1

Shake Reduction

Hey all, new Pentax user, new DSLR owner... (k10d)

I was persuaded to by Pentax becuase of the shake reduction (I wanted to take pics of my various friends in bands with stage lighting).

My question: How do I know this is actually working? It almost seems so subtle that I can't really tell at all. Or maybe it isn't working... I read through a number of posts and it seems that some say that theirs was non-functioning. I bought this used from ebay, but it was hardly used at all.

Anyway... is there a sure fire test? Magic Lantern offered no insight..

Thanks all!

07-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just so you know SR will not prevent motion blur caused by your subject moving. It will buy you a couple more stops of performance in lower light and compensate for camera shake. On my K100D when I am about to take a picture and SR engages I see in the viewfinder an icon that matches the SR switch icon in the lower right hand corner. That tells me SR has engaged.
07-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rfphill Quote
Hey all, new Pentax user, new DSLR owner... (k10d)

I was persuaded to by Pentax becuase of the shake reduction (I wanted to take pics of my various friends in bands with stage lighting).

My question: How do I know this is actually working? It almost seems so subtle that I can't really tell at all. Or maybe it isn't working... I read through a number of posts and it seems that some say that theirs was non-functioning. I bought this used from ebay, but it was hardly used at all.

Anyway... is there a sure fire test? Magic Lantern offered no insight..

Thanks all!
1) Take the lens off and shoot a picture at a 1 second exposure while looking into the camera. You can see the sensor moving around.
2) Take a picture at 1/8 second or so (presuming a normal focal length lens) with shake reduction turned off, and then take the same picture again with the shake reduction turned on. Compare the results.
This is also a good way of seeing what the limits are for shake reduction for you, as this is rather variable.
07-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget to wait for the SR icon to light up in the viewfinder before pressing the shutter release all the way. It doesn't fire up instantly.