Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #1

Pentax K-S2 and Astrotracer

Hello,

I consider buying the K-S2 with Pentax O-GPS1 in order to move light and take wide-field astrophotography shots.
I am aware that initially the Astrotracer function was problematic in K-S2 but later Ricoh-Pentax claimed that a software update solves the issue.
Is there anyone to confirm the flawless operation of Astrotracer on K-S2 now?
Furthermore, which IR remote control would you recommend for long exposures (up to 5 minutes or even more) in Bulb mode?
Is there indeed a way to do this (up to 5 min exposure) just with K-S2's menu settings and without an IR remote at all?

And finally, should I consider another body as well, such as the K3II (or even a used Kr, K5 ...) for better performance of the Astrotracer?

Thank you in advance,
Paschalis

04-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With camera menu settings in Manual mode I can go up to 30 seconds with the shutter speed without the use of a remote or wired remote switch, and also utilize the 2 second delay camera feature to avoid camera shake during a long exposure.

If you want to do longer exposures than 30 seconds you will need to be in Bulb mode and have a remote device (shutter control) to avoid camera shake.

The IR remotes are battery dependent and may lose power quickly in lower temperatures. That is why I have a wired remote that plugs into the camera and derives its power from the camera battery. A shortcut to the wired remote I have is below. I use it with my K-3II or K-5IIS.

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-26-2016 at 06:45 PM.
04-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All Pentax DSLRs go up to 30 seconds in manual mode. You will need Bulb mode for anything longer. IR remote shutter triggers are very useful as are wired cable releases for Bulb mode work.
04-26-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
All Pentax DSLRs go up to 30 seconds in manual mode. You will need Bulb mode for anything longer. IR remote shutter triggers are very useful as are wired cable releases for Bulb mode work.
In astrotracer mode, shutter speeds up to 300s are selectable

Regarding the astrotracer's accuracy, it does require calibration and degrades at longer shutter speeds. Just something to keep in mind.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: