Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Great work! Some of the best ever posted. Yes, Pentax, take a look at this. There is an advertisement campaign in this, (as well as a few bucks for the OSU meteorological department).
Thanks volo, and others that said this would be good advertising for Pentax. I am not sure how I would contact them about this, but hopefully they read this board! I find it interesting though...I just checked views on Flickr: 185 viewed the picture from space, but 244 looked at the camera in the box. Maybe I should submit the camera in the box photo to PPG!

I also neglected to mention this was a joint project between OSU Aerospace Engineering, and Physics.

07-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PentaxPoke,

Thanks for posting. Really nice shot. Impressive in a whole bunch of ways. Kudos to Pentax, bravo to you and thanks a lot for posting and sharing the story.

Question: How did you trip the shutter? The K10D doesn't have a time lapse/intervalometer setting, does it? Maybe I've just missed it.

Will

P.S. Never mind the question. I just realized it's been asked and answered....
07-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
...I am not sure how I would contact them about this, but hopefully they read this board!...
Haven't seen that Ned reads this forum, but he does drop in from time to time over at dpreview. His e-mail address, as posted in his dpreview profile is:

ned.bunnell@gmail.com
07-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Fantastic shots!! Looking at the picture of your feet (#2989??), I sure hope that is mud on your shoes.

07-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I am totally in awe! Incredible image, incredible task.

Well done.

Ben
07-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #51
Inactive Account

Outer-Space Babelfish translation:

[MESSAGE TRANSMISSION STARTS]

Hello Earthling (PentaxPoke)

Greetings from Planet K10D, situated many million light years distance from you in an as yet unspecified Galaxy. We (the undersigned Alien Forum Members) are convinced there is valuable advertising potential that should be fully exploited, so please contact the inter-galactic president ned.bunnell@gmail.com without further ado. The future of digital photography as we know it is in imminent peril, unless you act NOW ! R U Listening Pentax ? DO NOT MISS THIS ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY !

[MESSAGE ENDS]

Beep.....

Last edited by Confused; 07-15-2008 at 02:20 PM.
07-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I smell a rat. I know that message wasn't translated by Babelfish. It makes too much sense.

07-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #53
Inactive Account

Hi Will

QuoteQuote:
I know that message wasn't translated by Babelfish. It makes too much sense.
Shame on you, Will.....you really ought to know by now that Babelfish is utterly infallible when used in outer-space ! How on earth do you think that PentaxPoke managed to get all those photos back safely.....for goodness sake, keep up, man !
07-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #54
Forum Member

Wow!

Every once in a while on these forums, the mundane, everyday posts part, and one GREAT post comes Shining through.

That was a GREAT post. that one shot from 104,000 feet was amazing!
The fact that the camera kept working at that altitude, combined with the COLD, is nothing short of incredible.

Freakin' riveting series. Well Done.
07-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One problem there though - the purple fringing is horrendous!
07-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax poke

Let me add my awe to the others already posted. Thank you ever so much for posting this! What an awesome photo! Not to mention the all the others at your Flickr site.

NaCl(go pentax indeed!)H2O
07-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Awesome!

It seems that Pentax might reevaluate their allowed temperature range a bit... From the manual, "The temperature range for camera use is 0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)."
07-14-2008, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you again for all the kind comments. It may have been Jun, or Ned Bunnell reads this forum, but I was contacted by Pentax Marketing today! They were very nice, and very interested in the flight. I was amazed at how quickly they were on top of this. Some of you must have contacts. I don't know what will come of it, but it was an honor to be contacted by them. I would be happy if the pictures are in any way helpful to publicize Pentax cameras and the university. Come to think of it though, we are probably not using the camera in a recommended manner.

Since there has been so much interest here, I posted some more pictures on the Flickr site today. I posted roughly 1 picture per 10,000 ft of altitude now so you can better see how things change on the way up. Altitudes are approximate, until we have a chance to correlate with the exact GPS data.
The link (2 pages now): ASTRO-09 - a set on Flickr

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 07-14-2008 at 11:28 PM.
07-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Awesome!

It seems that Pentax might reevaluate their allowed temperature range a bit... From the manual, "The temperature range for camera use is 0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)."
And I'm gonna re-evaluate my DA 18-55mm kit lens..

/me wonders about how the next bunch would look with a polarizing filter. I'd ship mine to Oklahoma for the next flight, but it's on my DA kit lens again that and the balloon rotation would make it pretty useless anyways. Though I suppose for about 25% of shots the camera would be at 90* to the sun assuming evenly distributed rotational velocity through the whole flight.

Strike that thought, spectacular shots!
07-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #60
Veteran Member

My sincere admiration and respects, PentaxPoke! ("I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy...")