Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The camera was very cold which is why the condensation on it and the lens became so bad when it passed back through the lower atmosphere.

07-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
The camera was very cold which is why the condensation on it and the lens became so bad when it passed back through the lower atmosphere.
so why did the sensor read 25*?
07-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
so why did the sensor read 25*?
Do we really need to have this discussion? Ok, since it seems that there are a few that won't take my word for it that the camera was actually cold when I and others touched it; I just took the k10d out of the freezer where it has been for about 25 minutes. Guess what PhotoME said the temperature was?

Any guesses????

25C
07-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Do we really need to have this discussion? Ok, since it seems that there are a few that won't take my word for it that the camera was actually cold when I and others touched it; I just took the k10d out of the freezer where it has been for about 25 minutes. Guess what PhotoME said the temperature was?

Any guesses????

25C
its not that i dont believe you its that concepts of temperature in space are a little bit more unique than here on earth, and would be intresting to discuss.

i'm here to learn, thats all.

07-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have no earthly reason why I missed this thread! but this is beyond awesome!!!!!
07-17-2008, 05:33 AM   #96
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
its not that i dont believe you its that concepts of temperature in space are a little bit more unique than here on earth, and would be intresting to discuss.

i'm here to learn, thats all.
Actually, temperatures in space are not unique; you just have less insulation to damp the temperature swings (like, nearly no insulation). So if you leave a glass of water outside in direct view of the sky, and it is a clear, cool night, the water may freeze even if the air temperature never drops below freezing. This is due to the fact that your glass of water is radiating its heat off into space. And this is WITH the insulating properties of the atmosphere. If you try the same experiment up at 100,000 feet, you have almost no insulation from the atmosphere, so the same thing happens -- just a LOT faster.

Check out this link to read more about average temperatures at varying altitudes: Tropopause and lower stratosphere. You'll see that this Pentax package probably hit -60 degrees C before it even went into the stratosphere.

-- Michael
07-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow... Just WOW... Stunning pictures, great setup and DAMN it must have been fun to be involved in the project (especially since it was a smashing success!). A job very well done!

Jim

07-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #98
Veteran Member

I still haven't heard why the camera would have a temperature sensor built in to begin with (as opposed to just a temperature switch).

I can't think of any reason why it needs to be there. I think this is just a useless Photome data field for our cameras.

Last edited by rfortson; 07-17-2008 at 11:25 AM.
07-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I still haven't heard why the camera would have a temperature sensor built in to begin with (as opposed to just a temperature switch).

I can't think of any reason why it needs to be there. I think this is just a useless Photome data field for our cameras.
electrical conductivity can be affected by temperatures, resistors can be compromized in extreme heat and extreme colds, the camera would need to know whats going on so it could adjust voltage levels for proper operation.

thats just a guess on my part.
07-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Correct. Should the camera's internal temperature rise above or fall below nominal operatating range it would trigger a switch to turn off the device to prevent damage to the components.
07-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #101

ok what i want to know is how do you recover the baloon and camera. is it thethered do you track it or what??

(Never Mind on the question I just read an answer, farther back)

great photo BTW it seems to me, you don't really see that many photos from this intermediate step between regular flying photos and from space

Last edited by txsbluesguy; 07-17-2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: question answered
07-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #102
Veteran Member

great work PentaxPoke. look forward to the next flight
07-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
great work PentaxPoke. look forward to the next flight
Thanks. Next flight will be with the Pentax SMCP-DA 14/2.8 at hopefully, an even slightly higher altitude. I don't have any experience with that lens, but the kit lens worked so well, I want to try a quality wide angle prime on the next flight. If my calculations are correct, it should give about 83 degrees of lateral angle of view, compared to the 67 degrees we got from the 18mm. I thought about going wider, but I want to stay away from the "fisheye" look. The 14 apparently has less distortion than the small amount of the 18mm DA II! Look for the sequel sometime in September...
07-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Correct. Should the camera's internal temperature rise above or fall below nominal operatating range it would trigger a switch to turn off the device to prevent damage to the components.
That's a temperature switch, not a sensor. All the switch knows is it's in the optimum range for operation, not where in that range the temperature falls.

I still don't see any reason why any camera needs a temperature sensor. Obviously, Photome is reporting a false reading because it has nothing to read.

As for people questioning the temperature at 100,000 feet...why do you think there's snow on the top of Everest year round? That's at ~30,000 ft.
07-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #105

Truly amazing stuff.

The images and the performance of the camera can now officially be called legendary!

Definitely awaiting the sequel.