Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
<snip>
I still don't see any reason why any camera needs a temperature sensor. Obviously, Photome is reporting a false reading because it has nothing to read.
<snip>
I have tried to keep myself from entering this debate (because I'm not really qualified to have an opinion) but...

I don't think it's obvious that this is a false reading. I can query the temp sensors in my various computers and get a temperature which is quite different from the temp of the case etc. For instance, my cpu A is currently reporting 50 deg. C whereas the case of my laptop is probably 25 deg. C right now. Isn't it possible that this sensor is reporting processor temp or something similar?

07-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I have tried to keep myself from entering this debate (because I'm not really qualified to have an opinion) but...

I don't think it's obvious that this is a false reading. I can query the temp sensors in my various computers and get a temperature which is quite different from the temp of the case etc. For instance, my cpu A is currently reporting 50 deg. C whereas the case of my laptop is probably 25 deg. C right now. Isn't it possible that this sensor is reporting processor temp or something similar?
Josh,

I wonder if you have had a chance to read my post above (#93). To put this thing to rest I took a picture with the k10d, then I put the k10d in the freezer for about a half an hour, and then immediately took another picture. PhotoME said the temperature of the camera was 25C in each case.

I was kind of surprised that people doubted me that the camera was very cold after the flight, but certainly no one can doubt that my freezer is colder than 25C !

Before this experience I don't think I would have so cavalierly put the k10d in with our frozen vegetables, and left it there for a while.

(Disclaimer: Do not try this at home. Pentax does not recommend storing your k10d in your freezer. Additionally, PentaxPoke is not responsible for any damage you may do to your k10d, your freezer, or your frozen foods...)

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 07-17-2008 at 09:51 PM.
07-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Thanks. Next flight will be with the Pentax SMCP-DA 14/2.8 at hopefully, an even slightly higher altitude. I don't have any experience with that lens, but the kit lens worked so well, I want to try a quality wide angle prime on the next flight. If my calculations are correct, it should give about 83 degrees of lateral angle of view, compared to the 67 degrees we got from the 18mm. I thought about going wider, but I want to stay away from the "fisheye" look. The 14 apparently has less distortion than the small amount of the 18mm DA II! Look for the sequel sometime in September...
Just when i thought you need to try another lens..

you came with this..

---

or shall we try fa 77 for better bokeh PentaxPoke ?
07-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Josh,

I wonder if you have had a chance to read my post above (#93). To put this thing to rest I took a picture with the k10d, then I put the k10d in the freezer for about a half an hour, and then immediately took another picture. PhotoME said the temperature of the camera was 25C in each case.

I was kind of surprised that people doubted me that the camera was very cold after the flight, but certainly no one can doubt that my freezer is colder than 25C !
I never doubted you... I'm very impressed that the thing worked in such cold conditions.

If the temp reading truly is the image sensor it might be possible that the sensor needs to be this warm in order to function correctly, and if it's colder than this, it is heated with a current to this temp before a picture is taken. I have no idea if this is likely... An easy way to check would be to look at a photo taken on a 35C day as I'm sure there's not a tiny heat pump in there to keep the sensor cool, ergo the thing would be hotter that 25...

07-18-2008, 12:23 AM   #110
Veteran Member

you are my f'n hero !
07-18-2008, 02:07 AM   #111
Forum Member

I am more than suitably impressed!!!

But what are you going to do for an encore?

Cheers from Oz (at a slightly lower altitude)
07-18-2008, 02:13 AM   #112

I took a picture with the k10d, then I put the k10d in the freezer for about a half an hour, and then immediately took another picture. PhotoME said the temperature of the camera was 25C in each case.
Perhaps some other K10D owners could verify whether their cameras report some reasonable temperature readings (or just fake constant) ?
(My K20D surely does measure tempreature, of course with some delay necessary for cold to get inside, and influenced by warming it by hand when holding it for longer time)

07-18-2008, 04:30 AM   #113
Veteran Member

I am utterly amazed by these shots!! I recommend you submit it to PPG if you haven't already.

I seriously hope Pentax will sponsor your next flights. They should. Imagine what setting up a square box with 6 K20Ds (one per side) each with a DA10-17 fisheye could achieve. If you could trigger all 6 from the same unit and thus shoot all shots perfectly synchronized this could yield an amazing series of spherical 360°x180° panoramas! Of course the ballon would have to be able to carry the load...

Looking forward to your next results!!

Wim
07-18-2008, 06:04 AM   #114

PentaxPoke, first congratulations, you brought many smiles on my face during few last days...

You said that other types of cameras were used for similar flights before K10.
Could you list which models with a few words description of the rate of success for each one?

And..
my version of Pentax ad:

one line of very small white print at the bottom of page with Poke's image that says:

104.000 ft • -66 C • near vacuum • 500 photos • 99% success rate •30 km fall • PENTAX
07-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Did someone feel like their cage was being rattled?

Nikon in space

First Flight of the Digital SLR Camera Nikon D2XS Used on the STS 124 Space Shuttle Mission
07-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #116
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote

Nikon in space

First Flight of the Digital SLR Camera Nikon D2XS Used on the STS 124 Space Shuttle Mission
this we all already know! in fact, this is very old story happen couple years ago.

* the diffrence is, this K10D is a total consumer product used at the eage of the sky, not the custom make thingly, and this K10D is exposed the the real enviroment. not inside protected space craft.
07-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #117

Hi PentaxPoke!

Amazing. Your images are really stunning...

My Dad is currently working on a book on international ballooning... Would you be interested in having your pictures & story published in Germany?

Just send me a short reply: hippo(at)21-jahrhundert.de
07-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #118
Inactive Account

Nikon in space

this we all already know! in fact, this is very old story happen couple years ago.

* the diffrence is, this K10D is a total consumer product used at the eage of the sky, not the custom make thingly, and this K10D is exposed the the real enviroment. not that one stay inside protected space craft.
07-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #119
Veteran Member

Nikon in space

The camera was being cuddle the entire time!
07-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comments. I chose the k10d for the photographic payload system on an experiment by Oklahoma State University to measure cosmic radiation with a new sensor.

The payloads are attached to a sounding balloon which climbs to over 100,000 ft. The balloon is tracked with GPS telemetry systems. When the balloon is launched, it is about 12 ft. in diameter. At peak altitude it is between 40-50 ft. in diameter before burst (or commanded cut-down).

The results are a testament to the quality and ruggedness of the Pentax gear. The camera was exposed to the harshness of the space environment (essentially a vacuum, and below -60F temperatures) and it never missed a beat. The only protection for the camera was a foam box which really doesn't protect it from the pressure changes or cold (there were no heaters on board) The box primarily protects the camera on impact since the payloads hit the ground at about 22mph.

As I mentioned, the camera took well over 300 pictures. In fact, I went back and counted and the actual number is 563. All in PEF RAW format. The only ones that are unuseable are the ones after the camera landed. Since the camera and lens were so cold from the extreme altitude, condensation started forming on the lens shortly before landing. (It was a very humid day here since it rained the day before) The camera and lens were soaked with condensation, but kept happily fireing away with no problems other than you couldnt see through the water on the lens. By that point, there was nothing left to see.

Now as to exposure; the camera performed better than my wildest dreams. We put it in Tv mode at 1/3000 to freeze motion (since the ride is quite violent at times). Auto ISO, and multi-segment metering. Out of those hundreds of photos, there are maybe 5 or 6 that were overexposed when the camera was facing the sun. The biggest "problem" is that we have too many good photos!

We will eventually post all the photos, but we have to process them for the website (which is under construction). In the meantime, I posted some of the photos of the fight on my Flickr site. (Please excuse the single C@non shot on the site which was taken by a colleague while we were launching ) There are descriptions under each picture so you can follow the process. These are only a very small fraction, but you can at least follow the general process:
ASTRO-09 - a set on Flickr
Great stuff, and thanks a lot for the explanation