Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D Crashing when changing options in menu?

I don't remember seeing anything like this at all before on here (and sorry, today's so crazy I am lucky I have time to post, so searching isn't on my list. Again, apologies).

So, I was shooting before, and I decided I wanted to tweak some settings-changing my ev steps,bracketing, things like that.

First time, I got pretty deep into what I wanted to change. Then I saw checkered vertical lines on the display and then the screen went blank. K10D wouldn't power up for a couple minutes (i did remove the grip and battery to see if that would help reset it).
Got it to come back, hopped into the same menu area, and much quicker this time I had a similar result (except now the lines were squiggly).

Anyone seen or heard of this before? Is it something which will mean the camera is going in for repair? Or is this something (i hope) which I can resolve on my own?. Camera is 6 months old, and I patched it in December to whatever that latest firmware was, which I think is still the latest and greatest.

07-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you take out both batteries and recharge them? I have my K10D set to use the grip battery first, and then the camera battery so that I get a warning when things are about to go flat a bit earlier that way. Those symptoms in other electronic equipment often indicate low battery voltage.
07-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nope. i recharged last night, and both batteries are also 6 months old. so i wouldnt expect them both to have croaked like that. i took about 20 shots since charged.....very odd

and both are genuine pentax
07-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have that problem with my K100D, however it's with only one of my screwmount lenses on.
However, when I short out the terminals with this lens on it works perfectly

So with this in mind.
If your only having problems with one lens on it might be dirty contacts on that lens.
If it's happening with every lens on you might try cleaning the contacts on the body.

07-13-2008, 04:33 AM   #5

Which lens?

If with Sigma ONLY then this may be the case- with Sigma 24-135 early versions some of us had similar experience :-(
Best and happy shooting, JR
07-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
this actually happened with my 50-135 attached, and except for few shots yesterday with my sigma 10-20, the 50-135 has been attached for a long time.

i did rotate batteries before-the one in the grip became the one in the camera, but both were charged and i'd be shocked if that was what did it.
07-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If it doesn't do it with your Sigma attached it still sounds like a problem with the lens
07-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
even though it only happened in the menus?

hmm... never had this issue with the 50-135 before....and i just checked everything looked OK to my amateur eye. going to try it again today, see what happens....

07-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and i wouldnt say it wouldnt happen with the sig. i only mucked with the menus with the 50-135 mounted, did not attempt the menu alterations with any other glass attached
07-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

We're just going by what we've seen happen before. Making it the most logical place to start
There's a chance that it's something else.

I know that when I first had it occur I thought something was wrong with my camera. But I still needed it for the shoot.
Then I was surprised when it started working right after the lens change.
I changed lenses back to the first, and it started acting up again. So I knew it must have been the lens.
07-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i just did the menu work again, and so far it's behaved. don't know what to think, but ill really test it, at least shooting wise, shortly. getting set to walk the national mall, so we shall see......
07-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so, here's the bad news....

i got to my office, took some pictures, things seemed fine.

got to the aquarium, so far so good. then it decided to look ready to take a picture, but refused to snap one. i shut down and decided i was going to swap lenses anyways. did that, and it still wouldnt work. except now, not working meant no main LCD, no top LCD except for the battery indicator....just bad all around.

taking batteries out, changing them around, no grip, nothing worked. and the batteries are at full charge, less than 7 months old...no reason to suspect them of being old....

so i pinged a service guy on the pentax list who is in DC, else i may wait till im back in ny. but this sucks
07-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Lots of luck getting it fixed.

I sure wish that it was something as simple as a lens
07-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here's hoping it's a quicker fix. otherwise, im eyeballing a 2nd body....
07-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I agree with the lens and or contacts as this has happened to me before. Turned out to be a faulty 70-300 Sigma APO lens.