Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #1

Help K110D Please

Hi this is Bruce,I'm brand new here and also to the Pentax family,I hope I'm in the correct spot for this post.a friend of mine is willing to sell me this camera for a nice price,It is the K110D, a lot of camera for me,my problem is when I take the picture it it looks great on the lcd.but when they are transferred to the pc(vista),I take the card out and put it in me card reader,it ends up in the windows photo gallery,all of the photos need to be brightened up,(fixed).it's getting to be a pain to doctor up all the photos.the ones I take with the flash look great on the pc,the ones taken without the flash are slightly darker and need to be fixed.he lost the manual,I did find it on the net but,i'm having a real hard time figuring this problem out..any info would be greatly appreciated.thanks BTBG

07-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Bruce,
This is going to be difficult for you without a manual. There are a lot of things that can be adjusted and you really need to understand the principles behind the adjustments otherwise you will just dig the hole deeper.

First question would be to other forum members, does anyone have a K100 / K110 manual they can let Bruce have??

What country do you live in Bruce....that will help others help you.

The other thing you can do is go into the menu via the menu button on the back of the camera and check what settings are in place. Jpeg is it natural or bright (one icon is brighter than the other). Contrast etc are they all set 0 ?
Focus & exposure options are they set to multi or spot? (this is harder because the icons need the good book to say which is which).

Lets see if anyone comes back with a book Bruce....gonna make your life a whole heap easier.

Cheers
Grant
07-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for your interest,I have no problem paying for a manual that I can hold in my hand,I live in upstate NY,I'm in jpeg,not raw,raw wouldn't even open on my pc,I figured that one out..I'm assuming you are talking about the image tone,yes it's on bright,but as I scroll down to the contrast,sharp,etc,,I can't get them to slide,I've been hitting buttons all over...they won't increase or decrease.they stay in the middle..thanks BTBG
07-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bruce, first thing should probably be to reset the camera to factory defaults... you don't know how the person who used it before you had it set up.

Press MENU, right arrow twice to go into the Set-Up menu, up arrow to the RESET function.

The other thing you may want to do is to calibrate your monitor as the pictures may be fine, but your monitor can possibly be a little dark. Have you printed some of the "too dark" pictures?

If you can't get the ajustment sliders to move in the camera setup, it's because you're in Auto-Pict (green stripe) or one of the preset modes. Put in it P mode to have a little more control.

You can get the K110d manual here: http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/K110D_web.pdf

Pat

07-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks Pat and Grant.I did reset in the very beginning of this saga..my Fuji s5000 was easy to use,but,I'm past that now.. the "P" thing,that' did make a whole lot of difference..does manually putting the card in the reader verses using a cord to download them?I didn't print a picture yet..the only reason I started to ask around is my father in-law took my picture card today and his pictures were dark too...this camera is a big step up for me.plus i don't have one accessory that came with the camera,except the flower cover cap,I took that off and thought it might help..nope.I just pulled out my last hair.....thanks
07-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Cable or reader makes no difference Bruce.

I'm really curious to know what lens do you have on the camera Bruce?

See the thing is that if the picture looks good on the LCD, it should look the same on the computer monitor. I'm pretty sure this is a monitor calibration issue.

I think your first step should be to get the "Monitor Calibration Wizzard" Hex2Bit - Software by Mike Walters and make sure your screen is displaying what it's supposed to.

Have a look at this thread on monitor calibration https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/21841-monitor-calibration-please-help.html

Pat
07-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
your good Pat,i can't figure my camera now you want me to tackle the monitor...I'll give it a shot...

07-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, bruce you have to realize that it's a chain, and often an uncalibrated monitor = weak link.

Problem is that if you brighten to "ajust" your pictures on a monitor thats too dark, they will be too bright when you print them or post them online.

Thats why calibration is important.

Pat
07-12-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brucethebaldguy Quote
your good Pat,i can't figure my camera now you want me to tackle the monitor...I'll give it a shot...
It's sort of like taking photos that look fine on the camera, then taking a print of them inside a dark closet and complaining that you can't see them. That's what having your monitor unadjusted is like. At the very least use the Monitor Calibration Wizard to set your Brightness and Contrast. That alone can make a very big difference in how your photos look on the screen.
07-13-2008, 05:03 AM   #10

Original Poster
thanks,I messed with my monitor(hp w2207) for a bit last night,I did see one of the settings was on custom,I switch it to photo,it did make some difference,but now it doesn't let me revert the pics back to original,so I don't have a photo to compare to,. I tried the wizard and I didn't have lots of luck with it.I have to play with it again today..but,really thanks for walking me through this dilemma..I need to take some daytime photos, and see where I stand.you guys are right though,the monitor is the most likely suspect.trust me I have more questions though and thanks again Baldi
07-13-2008, 05:43 AM   #11
Forum Member

As ve2vfd suggested, I think it would be worth the couple of $$ to take your memory card into Walmart and print some of the shots that you like when viewing on the LCD on camera.

If the prints are good ( similar in brightness to the LCD ) then you can stop pulling your last few hairs out and throw your monitor out the window ( kidding of course )

I had similar issues with brightness AND colour, then did the whole calibration deal ( Spyder2 ) and now is much better.

But a couple of cheapie prints will help to narrow your focus.......IMHO

JS
07-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #12

Original Poster
thanks,I might as well ask here you guys have been great ...my buddy let me take the camera on consignment last week,he wants $250.00 firm,but it has nothing but the camera and a 2 gig card,no manual,no cords,no disc,no box,is it a good deal?and do I need too download the updates?I think the camera is a couple years old and I'm sure he didn't update anything,thanks again Baldi
07-13-2008, 07:19 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Hi Bruce,
From what I have read here and from what the responses are every one seems to be correct. However Vista and media center seem to read the colors from your files in a different way. If you are using a card reader and the screen pops up asking you what yu want to open the files with just close out of this and go to the computer and find the drive that has your card reader and open the drive. You can than go to edit and select all which will high light all your files. Go back to edit and choose move folder. There is a folder already made in vista for Pictures. choose pictures and make a sub folder for your work flow (family out back something you will know) than select OK and the files will transfer. Now comes the easy part. Go to Google and in the search line type in Picasa. Download this free program and install it. Picasa will search all your media files for pictures and set a work flow for you to find them. You will notice after all is done the color management will be set in SRGB or RGB (which ever your camera is set to for color management.) This program for a free program is more powerful than what you think and your pictures will be read in the correct format. You will see the difference between Vista media center and Picasa right away. And using Pacasa, and being able to tune your pictures is easier than using Media center.

As far as your second question about the camera being worth $220? I would say Yes it is a very good price. Now if you need the cables and disks, and want them I have extra here and also the manual for the K100D which is the same for the K110D . send me a PM with your name and address and I'll be more than happy to send you the cable and book. I have no need for them since I use a card reader also and can update the camera using the card reader to camera. Or in another thought here you could Download the manual right off the Pentax site as a pdf file and have it on the computer in a nice file which doesn't take up much space.

Let me know and it's nice to have you here on the forum.
07-13-2008, 07:28 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Hi Bruce,
This is going to be difficult for you without a manual. There are a lot of things that can be adjusted and you really need to understand the principles behind the adjustments otherwise you will just dig the hole deeper.

First question would be to other forum members, does anyone have a K100 / K110 manual they can let Bruce \have??

What country do you live in Bruce....that will help others help you.

The other thing you can do is go into the menu via the menu button on the back of the camera and check what settings are in place. Jpeg is it natural or bright (one icon is brighter than the other). Contrast etc are they all set 0 ?
Focus & exposure options are they set to multi or spot? (this is harder because the icons need the good book to say which is which).

Lets see if anyone comes back with a book Bruce....gonna make your life a whole heap easier.

Cheers
Grant
I have the k100/k110d Magic Lantern book on the cam, it's pretty extensive and has everything you need to know about it, it only has black and white photos if that's OK with you. I'll part with it for only the shipping charge of $5.00. First one who writes me at barryndallas@earthlink.net and has a Pay Pal account, gets the book.

Barry
07-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #15
Forum Member

I think there is a firmware update for that camera, same as my K100D which will allow the use of SDHC memory cards..........with the price dropping as fast as the price of gas is rising, you'll want/need an 8GB card faster than you might think!