Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
Pentax K-S2 - assembled in Vietnam. Is it new factory of Ricoh?



Mint Pentax K S2 20 1MP Digital SLR Camera Body w Box | eBay

Is there any information about new factory?

---------- Post added 04-30-2016 at 08:24 AM ----------

But there are Philippines made cameras



Last edited by ogl; 04-30-2016 at 08:25 AM.
04-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,445
Oooo...lower serial number too!!!


Steve
04-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,138
TBH I'd guess that was a typo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
TBH
It's sticker and another serial number variation. Wrong sticker could be real, maybe...But it's mass made sticker. I don't believe in such mistake.
It has specified dimension to paste up. And it's not be used for another camera or lens.


Last edited by ogl; 04-30-2016 at 10:14 AM.
04-30-2016, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
dakight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,178
Just speculating, but the K-1 is being assembled in the Philippines so perhaps they just shifted some of the other production to Vietnam. They have been making lenses Vietnam for a quite a long time so adding camera assembly might not be that big a step.
04-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 82
KS2 manufactured

My KS2 purchased from Costco was manufactured in the Philippines.

Hank
04-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,138
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's sticker and another serial number variation. Wrong sticker could be real, maybe...But it's mass made sticker. I don't believe in such mistake.
It has specified dimension to paste up. And it's not be used for another camera or lens.
If that's your camera, the best thing to do would be to contact Ricoh in Japan and ask whether or not the "Assembled in Vietnam" sticker was printed in error for that particular serial number. If Ricoh had opened another camera factory I'm sure they would have said so in a press release

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Wingincamera's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spanaway, WA. USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 571
My K-S2 says assembled in the Philippines, but that does not mean the parts are made there. Same with US auto manufacturers, the cars are assembled in the US, but the parts are world made with maybe most actually made in the US. Some years ago Honda use to manufacture their GL1800 motorcycles in the US, before moving the plant back to Japan. When made in the US, Goldwing riders could brag to Harley Davidson riders that Honda had more parts actually manufactured in the US than HD. Of course that has changed now.

04-30-2016, 10:43 PM   #9
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If that's your camera, the best thing to do would be to contact Ricoh in Japan and ask whether or not the "Assembled in Vietnam" sticker was printed in error for that particular serial number. If Ricoh had opened another camera factory I'm sure they would have said so in a press release
Had you ever seen press-releases about Ricoh or Pentax new factories? As for me - never.
We know that Hoya had closed Japan factory of Pentax and moved production lines to Philippines and Vietnam.
But Ricoh also has factory (factories?) in China.

Ricoh doesn't have to inform all users about production capabilities or any production changes.

I saw film lenses of Pentax made in Taiwan and Spain. What does it mean? Pentax could order the assembling from another companies.


I don't believe in global mistake with wrong special stickers for K-S2.

---------- Post added 04-30-2016 at 10:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
My K-S2 says assembled in the Philippines, but that does not mean the parts are made there. Same with US auto manufacturers, the cars are assembled in the US, but the parts are world made with maybe most actually made in the US. Some years ago Honda use to manufacture their GL1800 motorcycles in the US, before moving the plant back to Japan. When made in the US, Goldwing riders could brag to Harley Davidson riders that Honda had more parts actually manufactured in the US than HD. Of course that has changed now.
If K-1's demand is high, Ricoh could organize assembling of K-S2 in Vietnam to vacate production line in Philippines for new camera.

---------- Post added 04-30-2016 at 10:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Just speculating, but the K-1 is being assembled in the Philippines so perhaps they just shifted some of the other production to Vietnam. They have been making lenses Vietnam for a quite a long time so adding camera assembly might not be that big a step.
Smart idea!
04-30-2016, 11:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,445
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I saw film lenses of Pentax made in Taiwan and Spain. What does it mean? Pentax could order the assembling from another companies.
Could also mean assembly by alien intelligence living in Spain. Leitax kits are made in Spain.


Steve
05-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
i_trax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,119
My the only lens made in China is Pentax DA 18-270 so is it made in Pentax or Tamron factory?
It has SMC coating and SDM AF.
The FA 100-300 was made in Taiwan (kindof China) but the rubber original hood is made in Japan

Last edited by i_trax; 05-01-2016 at 12:07 AM.
05-01-2016, 04:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iloilo City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,098
I zoomed the camera image and it says assembled in Philippines.

---------- Post added 05-01-16 at 08:06 PM ----------

Sorry, it's the second body below that says assembled in Philippines.
05-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 86
Mine say assembled in PhilippInes. Serial number 614XXXX.
05-11-2016, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #14
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 9
Pentax has a factory in Sai Dong Industrial Park, Ha Noi City, Vietnam which has been assembling lens for many years. Now they start to assembly the pentax KS2
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, camera image, dslr, factory, honda, japan, k-s2, pentax, pentax k-s2, philippines, photography, production, ricoh, riders, vietnam
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ricoh Imaging Introduces New PENTAX K-S2 Digital SLR Camera-the Ultimate Family Camer Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 3 02-09-2015 07:34 PM
photos of assembled in Vietnam FA Limiteds? Albert Siegel Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 02-14-2011 11:00 PM
New PentaxA 50mm f1.2 assembled in Vietnam Gregs Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 10-02-2010 11:13 PM
Now the FA77mm is assembled in Vietnam henryjing Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 23 04-26-2010 08:36 AM
ASSEMBLED IN VIETNAM - Pentax A50mm/1.2 ogl Pentax News and Rumors 53 03-03-2010 08:40 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:28 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top