Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K20D goes to Yosemite!

I spent about 10 days in Yosemite and Tuolumme meadows. We drove there on July 3rd and rented a cabin in Lee Vining, just West of Yosemite National Park. I had my K20D with me and an assortment of lenses. Although I brought the Da*200mm and the DA* 300mm with me for testing them, I found that my DA 16-45mm was the most practical lens within the Park. I actually wish I would have had the newer DA* 16-50mm SDM f/2.8 lens, but it's a little too much money for me at this time. Someday, I'll get one. (By the way, if you do have a DA* 16-50 and had the DA 14-45 prior to that, I would love to hear your impression the the 16-50mm.)

We travelled along highway 395 and drove by Mono Lake. There was some interesting photographic opportunities there too. I have posted some of my pictures herein.

I still think that Yosemite and the surrounding areas are some of the most beautiful places in America. I tried to photograph the park the way I saw it, rather than copying Ansel Adams. Some of the icons like Half Dome and El Capitan are screaming "Ansel Adams" and everyone must have seen these pictures a thousand times. I hope you enjoy the pictures. (Do let me know what you think. The best way to get better is always by getting opinions from other photographers.)

Thank you for reading. I always appreciate your visits,

Yvon Bourque

I still will have a photographer's review of the DA* 200mm and the DA* 300mm in the coming days or weeks.

Attached Images

07-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Holy cow, those are some good looking pictures. Are those unprocessed?

I love the flyfishing photo, but the guy looks overexposed or somehow weird to my eyes, and it detracts from an otherwise superb picture.

Looking good!
07-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like them all, especially the first and last ones. Ditto Aegon's comment on the flyfishing shot.

I've been looking at some of Ansel Adam's pics, as of late, since I really do admire his style. In my own way, I'd like to be able to emulate him in color.

Getting to Yosemite one of these days is definitely on my bucket list.

Heather
07-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #4

Yvon, thank you for posting your take on Yosemite. Nicely done, if maybe a bit hdr'd on the first two. The stark white granite with the climber is very good - very Yosemite. That is fabulous country, all through the Sierras. Show us some more!

07-12-2008, 11:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Aegon,

You are right, the picture with the young boy fishing is overexposed some. Here is another shot at a slight different position where the boy is not so washed out. I should have looked closer before posting the photo. I was too excited and wanted to share pictures of this wwonderful area.

Thank you for pointing that out,

Yvon Bourque
Attached Images

07-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #6

yosemite seems very nice place.yvon good captures...espcially i liked that last photo..
i will have k20d .tomorrow
07-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Those are absolutely stunning photos. I think the issue with the guy fishing, is that he is out of focus. It seems as if everything comes into focus just after where he is standing. Second one of him is definately better.
07-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
cmv

I like them all too (same comment as the others on the boy fishing but that is a minor point). I too think the last one is really strong. I'd put the last one highest then the two in the middle. The boy looks better with less exposure. The top left one is very nice except the sky -- perhaps you can bring the sky down a bit in post processing?

Those are all minor points though -- very nice photos and I like your focus on of showing it as you see it instead of emulating.

07-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yvon, thanks for the photos; I didn't get to see much sun on the meadows when I was there last fall. Snow, yes; sun, no!

Just a matter of personal taste here, FWIW, but it looks to me as though the last photo (ranch buildings) has been treated to an over-generous helping of polarizer. Loved the climber shot!