Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2016, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hanover, NH
Posts: 156
Just got the K-1

The K-1 arrived overnight form B&H. Amazing. Barely bigger than K-3II, feels faster, field of view huge, all lenses suddenly shorter, quality amazing. Adobe DNG Convertor got upgraded for K-1 on 4/28 (9.5.1) so processed right away -- quality excellent, noise low, lenses shine.

I've started with DSLRs in 2007, with the K10D, and this is my first full-frame. I must say I'm impressed, and don't know if any other community will have so much fun attaching legendary D-FA and FA lenses and seeing what amazing photos come out! It's like we got another life on all the gear and memories! This is unique, and we can enjoy it all summer.

A+

05-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,529
That the first K-1 effect. The second K1 effect is to realize how much money needed to fund new DFA lenses to mount on it, and that you can't use your existing ND filters because the lenses have larger filter threads.
05-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,742
QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
Just got the K-1
Enjoy, it seems everyone here is pleased with theirs... so far.
05-05-2016, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,658
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The second K1 effect is to realize how much money needed to fund new DFA lenses to mount on it, and that you can't use your existing ND filters because the lenses have larger filter threads.
Or, use square ND filters and a holder - that way you can swap between any size of lens for just the cost of the adapter

05-05-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,658
QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
The K-1 arrived overnight form B&H. Amazing. Barely bigger than K-3II, feels faster, field of view huge, all lenses suddenly shorter, quality amazing. Adobe DNG Convertor got upgraded for K-1 on 4/28 (9.5.1) so processed right away -- quality excellent, noise low, lenses shine.

I've started with DSLRs in 2007, with the K10D, and this is my first full-frame. I must say I'm impressed, and don't know if any other community will have so much fun attaching legendary D-FA and FA lenses and seeing what amazing photos come out! It's like we got another life on all the gear and memories! This is unique, and we can enjoy it all summer.

A+
Congratulations!! I tried the K-1 at a photography show back in March, and I was very impressed - especially by the compact dimensions for a full-frame pro DSLR. It feels really good in the hands, doesn't it?
05-05-2016, 02:12 PM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Monterey County, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 87
K-1

Lucky you. My K-1 shipped yesterday from B&H- Not scheduled to be delivered until May 11th. Have fun shooting!
05-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hanover, NH
Posts: 156
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That the first K-1 effect. The second K1 effect is to realize how much money needed to fund new DFA lenses to mount on it, and that you can't use your existing ND filters because the lenses have larger filter threads.
I got the 24-70 and 15-30 in advance. Still a bit terrified by their weight, but they sit pretty on the bigger body. The 15-30 is suddenly the UWA it promised to be! The trusted 31, 58, 77, 100 are going to enjoy it immensely.

A+
05-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,658
QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
I got the 24-70 and 15-30 in advance. Still a bit terrified by their weight, but they sit pretty on the bigger body. The 15-30 is suddenly the UWA it promised to be! The trusted 31, 58, 77, 100 are going to enjoy it immensely.
Nice

To put the weight of the lenses into perspective, I have a Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 lens on my Hasselblad HV, and it feels heavier than Pentax's offering... so while I agree it's not a light piece of kit, I think it's pretty manageable for what it is

05-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,983
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That the first K-1 effect. The second K1 effect is to realize how much money needed to fund new DFA lenses to mount on it, and that you can't use your existing ND filters because the lenses have larger filter threads.
I "did the math" when the K-1 was first announced, and quickly convinced myself that the K-1 might be out of my budget even if someone gave me the basic camera; I'm guessing that most K-1 buyers also thought for a second before they pressed the "buy" button.
05-05-2016, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #10
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,742
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm guessing that most K-1 buyers also thought for a second before they pressed the "buy" button.
In my case I don't think it was as long as that... (a second).
05-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter
BigDave's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,628
My K-1 arrived today. I am lucky to be close to NYC (shipped yesterday) and I am very impressed with all it can do, and I have barely scratched the surface. I even tried my Sigma 10-20 on it and to my surprise, setting the K1 to FF mode (not the ASC-P mode it did automatically) I could get a good image down to 15mm without any noticeable vignetting on the Live screen. I need to check this in great detail though. After 15mm, it did vignette all the way down to a 10mm doughnut hole, but I kind of expected something like that. No issues when having it set in the ASC-P crop mode though. There s a LOT to get used to, though it is amazing how much the designers pulled from other K digital cameras so the transition is not over crazy. Much to learn!
05-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,117
QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
The K-1 arrived overnight form B&H. Amazing. Barely bigger than K-3II, feels faster, field of view huge, all lenses suddenly shorter, quality amazing.
A+
"Location: Hanover, NH"

There will be a lot of use for all those lenses being shorter in this area! I think I would run to Quechee gorge with a wide angle lens, the very instant K-1 landed in my hands.
05-06-2016, 05:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,092
So far, I'm loving the K-1.... except for one thing. Why did the designers put the live view button just where the replay button is on my K-3 II? I'm thinking that I'm chimping a shot, when actually I'm looking at a live view! I know one gets used to anything in time, but as I intend to use my K-3 II as a second camera, I can envisage me being forever confused!
05-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hanover, NH
Posts: 156
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
"Location: Hanover, NH"

There will be a lot of use for all those lenses being shorter in this area! I think I would run to Quechee gorge with a wide angle lens, the very instant K-1 landed in my hands.
I've not updated it since moving to the Bay Area, but we have wonderful landscapes here as well -- the West is the place to be for nature, I see you're here as well!

A+
05-06-2016, 05:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,983
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
My K-1 arrived today. I am lucky to be close to NYC (shipped yesterday) and I am very impressed with all it can do, and I have barely scratched the surface. I even tried my Sigma 10-20 on it and to my surprise, setting the K1 to FF mode (not the ASC-P mode it did automatically) I could get a good image down to 15mm without any noticeable vignetting on the Live screen. I need to check this in great detail though. After 15mm, it did vignette all the way down to a 10mm doughnut hole, but I kind of expected something like that. No issues when having it set in the ASC-P crop mode though. There s a LOT to get used to, though it is amazing how much the designers pulled from other K digital cameras so the transition is not over crazy. Much to learn!
That is much better than I had feared, since at 15mm you're getting as wide a view as your previous camera provided at 10mm {so you haven't lost any wide-angle at all} That is great!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-1, lenses, photography, quality
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got my "nifty fifty" the Pentax DA 50mm f/1.8 bwDraco Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 04-20-2015 11:26 AM
Just got my K-3!!! ChuckB28 Pentax K-3 2 06-22-2014 04:20 PM
Misc Just a few random shots since i got the K-r dirwood Post Your Photos! 7 01-18-2014 06:55 AM
New to the Pentax World -- Just got a K-7 Sunset Lady Welcomes and Introductions 8 01-11-2010 04:32 AM
Just got my k-x in the mail..yahoo!! PentaxVR4 Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 11-19-2009 07:21 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:21 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top