Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #1

DA 12-24 with IR Filter

Hi All,

Though i'm a keen reader of this Forum this is my first post...

I'm planning on doing some IR Fotography and now I wonder if there is any problem with vignetting using the DA 12-24 with a IR Filter as one should only use slim filters with this Lens? Does there exist a slim IR filter?

Thanks in advance for any advice of you more experienced folks out there

Greets Memira

07-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a UV filter on mine and it doesn't cause any problems, but it's the Hoya slim filter.
07-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
Moo

One way to "cheat" is to get a step-up ring and use a normal filter of a larger diameter. Both of them together may be cheaper than the slim filter on its own..
07-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
One way to "cheat" is to get a step-up ring and use a normal filter of a larger diameter. Both of them together may be cheaper than the slim filter on its own..
You can cheat that way, but a IR filter is expensive to begin with, and the larger it is, the more expensive it gets. It's already a 77mm. I'd try a regular filter first, and if there's no problem, go with the IR.

Another posibility is go with a Cokin filter system - but I have no idea what the cost would be.

07-13-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't see any problem using the DA 1224 w/ a regular UV, but I do know that the Tokina 1224 is one of the lenses to avoid for IR 'cause it produces hot spots when used for IR photos. If Pentax DA1224 is exactly the same lens, I'm afraid you'd better buy a kit lens plus a 52mm IR filter, and the total cost is definitely cheaper than a 77mm IR filter alone The kit lens is one of the best IR friendly lenses.

I'll be able to test out DA 1224 on my IR converted K100D in two days, will report back

Good luck.
07-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for your advice.

After researching a little bit more i came to the conclusion that i will start with a 55mm IR Filter on my old FZ30 as the K10d/GX10 seems to be not very IR friendly anyway. With the step up ring 52-55 which I have i can also play around with my GX10 and the Kit Lens and have a look wether its realy that unpractical...

At least my FZ30 will get some use again on the other hand however this means no Ultrawide IR at the moment

Maybe i stumble across a cheap used *ist or k100d one day which seem to be way better suited for IR.
07-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by memira Quote
Thanks everybody for your advice.

After researching a little bit more i came to the conclusion that i will start with a 55mm IR Filter on my old FZ30 as the K10d/GX10 seems to be not very IR friendly anyway. With the step up ring 52-55 which I have i can also play around with my GX10 and the Kit Lens and have a look wether its realy that unpractical...

At least my FZ30 will get some use again on the other hand however this means no Ultrawide IR at the moment

Maybe i stumble across a cheap used *ist or k100d one day which seem to be way better suited for IR.
Try to find a used istD somewere. I use it and the 16-45 and a 67mm R72 filter.

Shutter times are a bit slow, but not as slow as the K10D or D200.

I recently bought a converted Canon G3 and it is producing great IR shots.

Neat little camera.

Dave