Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 09:52 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been using my K-1 for about 24 hours. I have to say that my lust phase - basically from the moment it was announced until yesterday, was stronger than my love for it. It is fast, and the viewfinder is great, and the rear LCD is an engineering marvel, but it's big, and is really heavy, in addition to more nit-picky things like the entire top is plastic, I find the top LCD on the K-3 series more useful than the added knobs, etc.

I won't actively discourage you from buying the camera. It is an awesome camera. Just know that the K-3 and K-3 II are really great cameras too.

05-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Having shot the K-1 for a day or two, I can appreciate the form factor etc of the K3/K5. APSC is a really nice compromise. K1 almost feels medium formatish size/weight wise.

Anyway, I reckon the next Pentax APSC will be a real must have if the auto focus bits of the K-1 trickle down.
Funny how we have different opinions. I love Pentax and have a K2000 and K-50 but sadly they mostly collect dust because I shoot m4/3 and full frame and aps-c is the monkey in the middle with most of the size and weight of full frame with far less subject isolation/background blur. I did use my K200 relatively often with 500 and 1000 Russian mirror lenses but it had a battery grip. The K-50 is bulky and large enough to interfere with a large tele lens but to small and light to stabilize them and virtually useless except on tripod. Ironically the tiny Olympus OM-D is a joy to use with the large lenses and has great image stabilization and easy to shoot even hand-held at 2000mm equivalent while the Pentax without grip is almost impossible at 1500mm so the keeper rate is radically higher with the Oly but it seems to be diffraction and/or central obstruction limited due to smaller sensor

I had a Canon 5D and Sony A850 dslr full frame but have switched to Sony A7. A dslr would be very limiting for me and at the very least I would need split prism and/or micro prism focus screen AF even in spot is far to coarse for me and so is focus confirmation, my keeper rate with Olympus m4/3 mirror-less is nearly 100% my hit the nail on the head rate with Olympus m4/3 mirror-less is 80-90%

With Sony A7 mirror-less my keeper rate is about 90% and my hit the nail on the head rate is between 30-80% depending on subject, lighting and my focus level.

With Sony and Pentax DSLR and manual focus my keeper rate is about 50-70% and my hit the nail on the head rate is 5-10%, with AF Keeper rate is about 30-70% and hit the nail on the head rate about 10-20%.

My AF hit the nail on the head rate is close to 0 for Canon and Nikon out of 1500 shots or so with the Canon 5D only 2 or 3 I was really happy with, I have never taken a fully focused shot with my Nikon D200 I have had for 2 years, except for tripod shots which of course are high percentage but almost always at least slightly front or back focused, I get good results with Canon and Nikon lenses on both the OLY and Sony A7 even if Nikons have terrible bokeh.

I don't see the K-1 working well for manual focus close focus wide or nearly wide open and while Sony and Pentax do not seem to have the front and back focus issues Canon and Nikon have AF is far to coarse for critical focus use with shallow depth of field. Sad I had hoped Pentax would make the first real photographer mirror-less and dominate the camera market with all their experience and proven quality and performance. The Sony A7 is like a generic Walmart consumer product, if I went on a once in a lifetime photo journey especially in demanding conditions I would take a Pentax or Olympus and was hoping for Pentax quality weather resistant full frame mirror-less.

It's goofy and time consuming to learn Pentax, Sony and Olympus and purchase and maintain several different lens, battery and accessory systems. Konica is my first MF lens choice and that's a no go on Pentax even on Canon due to short registration. I certainly love both Pentax and Minolta lenses but would miss Konica full frame if I switched to Pentax full frame and would need to expand my lens collection certainly would need to add a 90-105mm macro at the least and would strongly prefer Pentax 100mm WR version, probably would add 24mm either A, F or FA right away. Sad my K-50 my second favorite camera is rarely used was hoping it would get a big brother and I could ax the Sony/Minolta system and just use OLY/Pentax.
05-06-2016, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It is spectacular. Despite having tried it out extensively during the pre-production phase, I've got to say that now that I have one of my own, I'm even more in love with it.

The features, build quality, ergonomics, and image quality all come together in what I'd consider to be Pentax's most successful DSLR to date. Got some great photos with it today!
Arrrrggggg! I'm trying real hard to hold off given I don't really have the budget at the moment. Now I'm looking at what I can sell to justify it!
05-06-2016, 10:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That would be something.. but do you seriously think that is even remotely possible?

Pentax is a stills oriented brand. Ricoh themselves have told us before that's how they see it. I don't see any reason they'd change their mind with the K-3 successor especially. It's incongruent to how they've carried along the product (lenses and body) line.

That is to say, please don't be disappointed if/when the next crop flagship is a trickle down from K-1 with slightly improved video features... maybe 4k. Each one has been an evolutionary cycle and not a revolutionary paradigm shift.

It would be.. highly unusual.. for Ricoh to decide to throw a lot of money into R&Ding a video centric dSLR body (when they've stated they're not even sure how the K-1 and FF system is going to go).

Pentax isn't Canon.. in focus and funding. We have to be happier with smaller steps.
I see it happening.

We've been asking for better video on Pentax dSLR cameras, and even on the K1, the video was seen as the only real niggle.

I think the runaway success of the K1 will show that just because a vocal group of people on a forum may not want something, the greater world...does.

Pentax has made video cameras (Hitachi rebranded ones) and makes Cosmicar lenses, so there is "video" in Pentax DNA.
Video has been a part of the Pentax digital landscape as people forget the Pentax MX4.

Long time Pentaxians like myself know where the Pentax engineers have tried and failed, so to discount video and say Pentax doesn't do that, ignores the history of Pentax.

A video dSLR in the form of the third generation of the K3 makes the most sense, and keeps the APS-C line alive.

Take me for example, as a customer that owns a ton of APS-C gear.
Without someone like me, you get the people buying into the lower cost APS-C cameras (KS-2/K50) and the lower cost lenses.
Without a compelling high end APS-C camera, who is going to buy the expensive DA* and DA lenses?

With a video dSLR you keep me, and make use of the high cost APS-C lens lines.

With the cost of the K1 so reasonable, you will have to make the K3 compelling to buy.
Ricoh has no choice but to make something value-added that can fit between the Ks-2 and K1.
The margin is too thin to ignore the obvious choice of making a standout video dSLR.

A video dSLR is the only way to preserve both a high end APS-C camera and the higher cost lenses.
It makes the most sense.

05-07-2016, 12:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

A 4K video APSC, is the logical way and a Q with the 4K sensor from the action cam.
05-07-2016, 02:22 AM   #21

I handled a K1 whilst in in Nakano, Tokyo, last week. While I was unsure before, I am now a firm believer. It ticks the right boxes in the right way for me and will now work on obtaining one as soon as possible. The build quality is superb and I really enjoyed the solid weight and feel of it. I was envious of the extra box of accessories that the Japanese will get with their K1 cameras too.
05-07-2016, 02:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
it's big, and is really heavy, in addition to more nit-picky things like the entire top is plastic, I find the top LCD on the K-3 series more useful than the added knobs, etc.

I won't actively discourage you from buying the camera. It is an awesome camera. Just know that the K-3 and K-3 II are really great cameras too.

I think that the accumulated lust might be difficult for any camera to live up to - good on you - you've got a K-1, which I haven't yet (for purely financial reasons) but I think in fairness I should point out that the top plate is plastic in my K-3 also, and that the K-1 would be still heavier if it were not
05-07-2016, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I would just say that I got a K-1 and it is a really nice camera. But it is still just a camera. Pentax really did an excellent job here and I can't think of anything negative to say about it.

That said, if you don't want to buy one, then just remember that the goal of photography is the image. The gear is a means to an end and if your current gear can get you there by hook or by crook, then there is no particular reason to upgrade. I do think APS-C probably is good enough for most of us. On the other hand, if you have a desire to upgrade and have the funds, shooting with the K-1 is plenty of fun...

05-07-2016, 03:09 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I think that the accumulated lust might be difficult for any camera to live up to - good on you - you've got a K-1, which I haven't yet (for purely financial reasons) but I think in fairness I should point out that the top plate is plastic in my K-3 also, and that the K-1 would be still heavier if it were not
The only thing plastic atop the K-3 is the pop up flash housing. The actual top plate, which the knob, flash, hot shoe, lcd, and shutter button sit on is made of metal. Not true for the K-1.

05-07-2016, 03:20 AM   #25
Pentaxian

The only thing plastic atop the K-3 is the pop up flash housing. The actual top plate, which the knob, flash, hot shoe, lcd, and shutter button sit on is made of metal. Not true for the K-1.
Ok - sorry - you're right - always well to actually check ;D - I'm sure the decision would have been based on weight with the K-1, though
05-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #26

Photos: Albums
Trying my hardest not to swing by Adorama or B&H this week because I want to hold the K-1,after only looking at it behind a glass last year at Photo Plus.

Picked up a K-S2 in January and I have K-5IIs as well as a Canon SL1,Canon G16 and Fuji X10.
05-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

..... but it's big, and is really heavy, in addition to more nit-picky things like the entire top is plastic, I find the top LCD on the K-3 series more useful than the added knobs, etc.
I was really hesitant to buy the K-1 without testing because of the size and weight as I do have some arthritis in my thumbs (have already had surgery on one), but my lust won out and I bought sight unseen.

I am finding its heft isn't making much difference at all, perhaps because I am using the same primes I used on the K-3 and have attached a strap.

I think I have decided my one and only zoom and WR lens will be the 24-70...but I WILL try before I buy on that one to make sure I can manage it without ending up in pain!

Sort of agree on the extra top dials...I thought they'd be really useful, and haven't found myself using them that much, but I have only had the camera less than a week, so maybe I just need to get used to the idea that they're there!

Overall, the camera IS gorgeous....can't wait to get it into the deep dark forest to try for some low light shots without a tripod. It's raining today and there'll be leeches dripping off every tree (errk) and I don't have a FF WR lens so that will have to wait.

My K-3 will still get used, as it is so pleasingly compact, ergonomic and user friendly... and gives excellent results.
05-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
Sort of agree on the extra top dials...I thought they'd be really useful, and haven't found myself using them that much,
I had the same thoughts. I am heavily reliant on the top lcd, and the more info the better. I'd use the back lcd status if the camera had a sensor that would turn it off when I put my eye to the viewfinder (cough Canon cough), but without it there's too much glare. Also it uses more battery.

So with the K-1 dials I'm left guessing what setting I've chosen. You can't know for sure which crop mode you're in without using the back lcd status screen or liveview (it's a no show in the viewfinder and top lcd). Same is true for the "HDR" and "CH/CL" dial modes.

Lastly "ISO" and "+/-" being on the dial but still needing to press the dedicated "ISO" and "+/-" buttons to use the green button with those settings is a little confusing and IMO not that user friendly.

I'd much rather have an information packed top LCD.

Last edited by geomez; 05-08-2016 at 07:52 PM.
05-08-2016, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #29
Lens Buying Addict

I had the same thoughts. I am heavily reliant on the top lcd, and the more info the better. I'd use the back lcd status if the camera can a sensor that would trim it off when I uppity my eye to the viewfinder (cough Canon cough), but without it there's too much glare. Also it uses more battery.

So with the K-1 dials I'm left guessing what setting I've chosen. You can't know for sure which crop mode you're in without using the back lcd status screen or liveview (it's a no show in the viewfinder and top lcd). Same is true for the "HDR" and "CH/CL" dial modes.

Lastly "ISO" and "+/-" being on the dial but still needing to press the dedicated "ISO" and "+/-" buttons to use the green button with those settings is a little confusing and IMO not that user friendly.

I'd much rather have an information packed top LCD.
I really like the new setup. In P and M (especially M) all three variables can be changed without touching the ISO button. In Tv and Av ISO can be changed w/o the ISO button, etc. All 3 changes are visible in the viewfinder, and whatever function the SmartDial is set to, the relevant function appears in the VF.

I understand we all have our preferences, but I like not needing to touch the ISO button at all, and I can deal with +/- as needed (I change EV Comp much less often than ISO) and I use the top LCD rarely. My 2c.
05-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

My K1 arrives tomorrow....I am excited but don't have any unreasonable expectations. Mostly, I just want to do what I always do and hope it becomes a little easier. Plus...I can't wait to pixel shift a squirrel...I lust to do that!

Here is hoping that all with the burning desire for the K1 have their dreams fulfilled sooner than later.

Regards!