Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #1

The K-1 is absolutely killing me

I can't explain it but I am absolutely lusting after the K-1. I have the K-3 and a K-3 2 and love them but the K-1 just seems spectacular. I have a pretty good selection of lenses with the Tamron 17-50, Pentak FA 50 1.4, DA* 55, the DA*50-135, DA* 60-250, DFA 100mm f/2.8 and the DA 15 mm Ltd. I love my set up but boy do I wish I had the K-1. If I get the K-1, I intend to keep the DA* 55 and the DFA 100 macro and get the 31 and the 77 - but that's a lot of coin - So many decisions....

05-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having shot the K-1 for a day or two, I can appreciate the form factor etc of the K3/K5. APSC is a really nice compromise. K1 almost feels medium formatish size/weight wise.

Anyway, I reckon the next Pentax APSC will be a real must have if the auto focus bits of the K-1 trickle down.
05-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sumitkar1971 Quote
I can't explain it but I am absolutely lusting after the K-1. I have the K-3 and a K-3 2 and love them but the K-1 just seems spectacular. I have a pretty good selection of lenses with the Tamron 17-50, Pentak FA 50 1.4, DA* 55, the DA*50-135, DA* 60-250, DFA 100mm f/2.8 and the DA 15 mm Ltd. I love my set up but boy do I wish I had the K-1. If I get the K-1, I intend to keep the DA* 55 and the DFA 100 macro and get the 31 and the 77 - but that's a lot of coin - So many decisions....
Don't let it kill you.Find a way to get one. It is a really fine camera. As good as the K-3 and K-3II in all the ways they are excellent but with its obvious special features. I was concerned that it would be too big but I find it very satisfying to hold and use.
05-06-2016, 07:00 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Having shot the K-1 for a day or two, I can appreciate the form factor etc of the K3/K5. APSC is a really nice compromise. K1 almost feels medium formatish size/weight wise.
That's along the lines of what I was thinking. I looked hard at the K-1, and I couldn't help wanting it -- especially with the rollout party in full swing! For me it was too much camera, but it got me started camera shopping. The result: today I got a new K-S2 and a 20-40mm LTD to go with it. I think it'll be a good match for my usage.

Here's a family snapshot with grandpa meeting his namesake. . .

05-06-2016, 07:12 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It is spectacular. Despite having tried it out extensively during the pre-production phase, I've got to say that now that I have one of my own, I'm even more in love with it.

The features, build quality, ergonomics, and image quality all come together in what I'd consider to be Pentax's most successful DSLR to date. Got some great photos with it today!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2016, 07:14 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have those lenses, but I do have that lust.
05-06-2016, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

If you want to get rid of the K3II cheap

:-)

05-06-2016, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an inheritance coming soon and I'm thinking of getting one even though realistically APSC does everything I need. But...............I think that Ricoh have done such a good job with the K1 in particular, and Pentax in general, that they deserve all the sales they can get. They deserve to be supported and encouraged.
05-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I think that Ricoh have done such a good job with the K1 in particular, and Pentax in general, that they deserve all the sales they can get. They deserve to be supported and encouraged.
We are of one mind!
05-06-2016, 08:17 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

I am afraid to even go look at a K1 when they show up at my local shop.
I need to be content with my K-3 II.

Really I do......
05-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The K-1 looks to be really worthy and really finely featured to be an outstanding camera, covering the full frame need. The thing that I see as the spec that I prize on my K-3II is the 24 mp aps-c sensor availability. I am not negative about the K-1 16 mp capability (aps-c mode) because my experience with the K-5IIS showed me that an immense amount of detail can be derived from 16 mp w/o the low pass filter. Features of the K-1 are numerous that the K-3II may not have, and it has the full frame/aps-c versatility, but for my "aps-c only" needs presently the 24 mp is a valuable component.
05-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I have an inheritance coming soon and I'm thinking of getting one even though realistically APSC does everything I need. But...............I think that Ricoh have done such a good job with the K1 in particular, and Pentax in general, that they deserve all the sales they can get. They deserve to be supported and encouraged.
Same with my age 59½ IRA. Can't say for sure, as we just added another $2k or so to our doc/dental bills but if ever a chance arrives I want R.Pentax to know how much I appreciate what they've done. The feature set is stunning.
05-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I should have my K1 on Wednesday, and I've waited 16 years, so I will savor it.
However, all this talk of giving up on APS-C.
No way.
I see Ricoh finally putting some serious thought into making the next APS-C flagship their "video dSLR".
The K3 has the fast guts (USB3.0) and it would make sense to push the K3 chassis just one more generation to fully realize the investment.
A video dSLR is the final thing missing from the line-up and the K3 III will be it.
05-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian

4k is essential,otherwise people will buy Sony/Panasonic and discover their versatilies.
05-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
A video dSLR is the final thing missing from the line-up and the K3 III will be it.
That would be something.. but do you seriously think that is even remotely possible?

Pentax is a stills oriented brand. Ricoh themselves have told us before that's how they see it. I don't see any reason they'd change their mind with the K-3 successor especially. It's incongruent to how they've carried along the product (lenses and body) line.

That is to say, please don't be disappointed if/when the next crop flagship is a trickle down from K-1 with slightly improved video features... maybe 4k. Each one has been an evolutionary cycle and not a revolutionary paradigm shift.

It would be.. highly unusual.. for Ricoh to decide to throw a lot of money into R&Ding a video centric dSLR body (when they've stated they're not even sure how the K-1 and FF system is going to go).

Pentax isn't Canon.. in focus and funding. We have to be happier with smaller steps.