Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A Note to Larry re: K10D

Larry wanted to know how the Pentax stood up under pro shooting conditions. This was what I said..

Hello Larry;

It was quite seamless. The four point toggle takes some getting used to. That is a question of conditioning after years with Canon. Focusing very fast and accurate. Nice RAW images. Worked just fine. It IS a professional camera for me. I am a professional. I used it today and yesterday for an important client. It did the job. It didn't blow up! It kept taking pictures without one thought of concern ever entering my mind. I shot over 12 gig of images and my batteries on both of the bodies are still able to shoot at least another 200 each.

Look..I shoot in studio and in interior locations. I really don't know how it would do under adverse conditions as yet. I'll probably never find out. I want good raw native images that will translate well to the printed media. Pentax WON five stars and not "JUST" five stars...Nudge Nudge Wink Wink, Say No More, Say No More!

I work for a living as a photographer...Can PHIL say that?

02-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha! Ben, that was very naughty of you. Don't you know that Phil is a important person over at that other place? You could even get banned for saying such things! wink wink
On a serious note, I am happy the camera "worked as intended" It's always nice to hear that the equipment that I've decided to invest my hard earned money in passes muster from a professional.

NaCl(glad it worked out and the one image I've seen so far is stunning)H2O
02-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This is such a good news coming from you. The camera really makes a big difference as we can all tell from our hobby shooting.

Some people criticise the poor dynamic range or whatever in other forums. Do you aggree on the same statement just from your indoor studio setting?

I really think k10d dynamic range much better than my previous canon SLR.

Regardless what the answer is, still happy with the camera myself.

p.s. interesting to hear from you regarding this dynamic range though
02-11-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
This is such a good news coming from you. The camera really makes a big difference as we can all tell from our hobby shooting.

Some people criticise the poor dynamic range or whatever in other forums. Do you aggree on the same statement just from your indoor studio setting?

IMO the dynamic range is the same as for other 10MP Sony sensored cameras, all that is different between them is the default tone curve selected for JPEGs. Pentax have somewhat compressed the shadows to retain as many shades as possible in the midtones (where the subject is).
It also has less tail off at the highlight end which is probably to prevent colour banding around the clipped highlights (as use to happen on the *istD).
However there is plenty of range if you shoot RAW and dont blow the highlights.

02-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well said ben. I feel the same way.
As to advers conditions I can atest that so far mine has held up to light rain, snow and working in temps as low as 10*F
I expect this spring and summer to be testing in high temps, high humidity, and pouring rain (the latter not intentional, but I shoot a lot on sports fields so... its a given)
Keep up the work and updates man
-BrendanPK
02-12-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What? Poor Dynamic Range...

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

Ah Hah...Another interesting Misconception. Have a look at these images and tell me if there is a problem with dynamic range. Shoot from 100 to 400 iso expose correctly for a balance between the high and low end and SHOOT IN RAW...

These images show you what Dynamic Range the K10D has. It is as good as the Nikon's and Canon's..All have about a 13 stop range +/- 1/2 stop.

Best Wishes
Benji

Last edited by benjikan; 03-05-2007 at 03:13 PM.
02-12-2007, 01:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Phil Who?

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Ha! Ben, that was very naughty of you. Don't you know that Phil is a important person over at that other place? You could even get banned for saying such things! wink wink
On a serious note, I am happy the camera "worked as intended" It's always nice to hear that the equipment that I've decided to invest my hard earned money in passes muster from a professional.

NaCl(glad it worked out and the one image I've seen so far is stunning)H2O
Banned??? What are you talking about? I was referring to my cousin Phil Moscowitz from the Bronx. There must be some misunderstanding here...You know "Phil" my cousin who is a gear junkie, who has tons of camera's, never really uses them, really, and can never get his exposers, composition, subjects and general sense of artistry quite right. He just likes playing with them, makes him feel good. That's the Phil I was referring to.

Benji

Last edited by benjikan; 02-12-2007 at 02:05 AM.
02-12-2007, 02:40 AM   #8

Yup! There are those who dote on their cameras and those who use them for what they were intended for. Not very many who fit into both categories. Tho' I've noticed a few on this forum from time to time.

02-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Benji,

I was wonderin if you have tried the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5macro lens. Was thinking of getting it to replace the kit 18-55. Any thought would be great as your opinion as a pro shooter!

Paulypentax
02-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sigma

QuoteOriginally posted by Paulypentax Quote
Benji,

I was wonderin if you have tried the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5macro lens. Was thinking of getting it to replace the kit 18-55. Any thought would be great as your opinion as a pro shooter!

Paulypentax
No I haven't but I do have tha 10-20 for my Canon and it is excellent...
02-17-2007, 06:28 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Benji,

Thanks. Im a while away from purchasing a super wide lens. But it's good to know you like Sigma. I'll post some pics from the 17-70 when the weather gets a little warmer to go out and shoot ( right know it is -15oC plus windy ).

Paulypentax