Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Damaged shooting mode dial effect water resistance?

Hey there. The shooting mode dial on my K5II was damaged in a way that the plate on top (which has the mode icons) is somewhat bent and separated from the dial itself. Does anyone know if this will effect the water resistance of the camera (I'm not able to see enough to determine if this leads to the innards)? If so, I suppose I can try to cover it with gaffer tape when out in the rain. Thanks!

05-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you post a picture? If any internal component has been displaced, it's likely that the seal has been too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Could you post a picture? If any internal component has been displaced, it's likely that the seal has been too.
Thanks for the reply, Adam. It's obvious that water can get in there, I'm just not sure if the damaged disc is critical to weather proofing, or if the dial has internal seals as well.Thanks!

05-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #4

It's possible that the important weather sealing actually takes place on the bottom where the knob meets the body, but without seeing the knob removed it's hard to know for sure. If there's evidence of weather sealing on the button atop the knob as well, then you may have a problem.

05-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd guess that the rubber seal underneath the dial is fine, but if water could accumulate inside the it, it could possibly eventually break through the seal.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On to searching for the best gap filling superglue! Thanks guys
05-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jab2980 Quote
On to searching for the best gap filling superglue! Thanks guys
SUper glue may also run inti the camera. It is typically quite hard and may crack easily here.
Have it fixed properly of use Dukctape.