Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
60MP 645 digital back...

Phase One P65+ 60 megapixel digital back doesn't know the meaning of the word "excess" - Engadget

I do not know anything about medium format. Does this thing mean you would have a full fram medium format camera if you have a 645 camera with 40K to burn?

DOH!!! Search is your friend:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/31832-you-guys-catch-w...50mp-chip.html

Mods... can you please lock this thread as I do not want to clutter up the forum with multiple threads on the same subject...

07-14-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Phase One P65+ 60 megapixel digital back doesn't know the meaning of the word "excess" - Engadget

I do not know anything about medium format. Does this thing mean you would have a full fram medium format camera if you have a 645 camera with 40K to burn?
yep, you install this into the old body and go nuts!
07-14-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or you are nuts. Is there any glass anywhere that can handle that type of resolution? I doubt it. If I really needed 645 or 6x7, I'd just shoot film again. You could buy a lot of gear for those $$$
07-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Inactive Account

It won't work with my K10D so I'm not interested. ;o)

07-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi paolo

QuoteQuote:
It won't work with my K10D so I'm not interested.
Boo....hiss......what a "spoilsport".....LOL !

I've just been down to the local garden centre and following the salesperson's inimitable advice, I proudly came home carrying one of this season's latest Money Trees, which I'm just about to plant in my back garden. By the time it matures in 10 years or so, I'm convinced it should have provided sufficient currency to eventually afford the asking price of this $40,000.00 monstrosity ! Ah well, perchance to dream of a FF MF Pentax.......NOT !!!

Best regards
Richard
07-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Or you are nuts. Is there any glass anywhere that can handle that type of resolution? I doubt it. If I really needed 645 or 6x7, I'd just shoot film again. You could buy a lot of gear for those $$$
I am with you, when it comes to my own budget and would prefer film... Nevertheless at 5 microns, the pixels are not too small. Something like the Pentax 120mm macro could perhaps handle that resolution - only that there are no digital backs for the Pentax 645. On the other hand Phase One states you can choose the pixel size, which translates into pixel binning. At a more realistic resolution (2x2 binning, should be around 16 MP you would get really big 10 micron pixels with basically no noise (the Dalsa chips are really good). And that would deliver images, which will certainly surpas any small DSLR,. And the big chip size also means, you can use the aperture again for finally place sharpness/unsharpness. If I could only somehow "bin" the price, too...

Ben
07-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

you guys fail to realize who this is for

a tool like this, with the right glass, will last a pro-shooter many years

first of all you purchase it as an asset expense and you depreciate it for 5 years, at the very least, because thats how long it will last you, and deliver, if not longer.

the cost associated with using FILM, not to mention the simple hassle involved in getting your film on to the computer will show itself soon enough.

remember 60mp is like what, a 30"X30" photo, more? how are you going to print that, how are you going to scan that??

time = money, the increased workflow from owning such a unit will pay for itself, you can have final products delivered to your clients before they even get home!

as a business investment the price is very fair.
07-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #8

as some one who works mostly in the video production world where 50 or 60k might buy the body for a HD camera but not a lens, this seems like a pretty good bargain at 40.

07-15-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If i had shot film, I would have spent 9000€ sofar this year on, film and developing. Roughly.