Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Pixel shift question

I think i'll need a pixel-shift camera to use for high resolution art reproduction soon. So k-1 or k-3 ii ?

Here's the background...

I'm happy with my two k-3s that I use with a range of DA and DA* lenses for landscape work, so no need for now for k-1. I don't have any fa lenses, except 100mm macro.

For accuracy across the frame for any reproductions tasks I do I use a 35mm limited. However, I expect to need to work on larger reproductions, thus pixel-shift. I expect a new k-3ii will do the job fine, but the finances will mean no k-1 in the near future. So maybe I could go k-1 now.... I know I would like one, but need ? Not sure ...

Is there an fa lens that across the frame will be as accurate for art reproduction work as I find the da35 limited ?

Apart from even greater resolution, does the k-1 offer better pixel shift than k-3ii for my very controlled use ?

The k-3ii would be a cheaper option by far, but it will not get much use apart from reproduction work. Whereas, a k-1 will give me new options, but I have no suitable glass so the investment is probably excessive.

As an aside, does Adobe fully support pixel shift on k-3ii in ACR ? I know there's been problems in lightroom.

So k-3ii or k-1 ? Any thoughts, please. Thanks.

05-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Is there an fa lens that across the frame will be as accurate for art reproduction work as I find the da35 limited ?
Equivalent FOV? Assuming auto-focus is not required and by accuracy you mean little or no distortion across the FF frame and flat field, there are multiple options for 50mm macro both Pentax and non-Pentax. Go to a longer focal length (70mm, 90mm, and ~100mm) and there some truly excellent lenses for macro/close focus. Any of Sigma 70/2.8 EX DG Macro, Tamron 90/2.8 Di, Pentax D FA 100/2.8 WR, Voiglander SL Macro Apo-Lanthar 125/2.8, or Zeiss ZK Makro-Planar T* 100/2 should be up to the challenge, though unfortunately only the Tamron and Pentax are currently available new.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-15-2016 at 03:05 PM.
05-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #3

I have had excellent results shooting art work for reproduction, using the K-3 II in normal mode (non PS). I used the 150-450, shot 4 overlapping shots and stitched in Hugin. The result was as good or better than the artist been getting from a professional lab shooting medium format film and then using a drum scanner to digitise...and much cheaper.
I did shoot PS versions as well at the time, but dcrawps indicated some movement between frames so they were not used.
One of the advantages of using the K-3 with full frame lens is that you only use the best centre portion of the lens.

Cheers,
Terry
05-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Why not sell one of the K-3 bodies and buy a K-3ii?
Depending on condition, I bet you could sell a K-3 for ~$500 and pick up a K-3ii for ~$600. (I paid $575 for mine)
Then you'll have a few $$ left to save for a future K-1!

I have only played around with pixel shift on my K-3ii a bit.
I'll hunt down some shots and post them here if you want...
I just traded my DA35ltd for a DA15ltd, but I think I took some shots with it just before the trade.

I also just used my K-3ii with DA*300 for some still life with pixel shift. Amazing results!
^ That's a combo I'll likely never get rid of.

05-16-2016, 03:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Equivalent FOV? Assuming auto-focus is not required and by accuracy you mean little or no distortion across the FF frame and flat field, there are multiple options for 50mm macro both Pentax and non-Pentax. Go to a longer focal length (70mm, 90mm, and ~100mm) and there some truly excellent lenses for macro/close focus. Any of Sigma 70/2.8 EX DG Macro, Tamron 90/2.8 Di, Pentax D FA 100/2.8 WR, Voiglander SL Macro Apo-Lanthar 125/2.8, or Zeiss ZK Makro-Planar T* 100/2 should be up to the challenge, though unfortunately only the Tamron and Pentax are currently available new.

Steve
Thanks Steve, the longer focal lengths will probably be too limiting as I tend to work from above. If this doesn't work for bigger paintings, I'll have to switch to wall hanging - then I have the mounting and/or glass issues to deal with. But there's some ideas there. Thanks.

---------- Post added 05-16-16 at 11:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
I have had excellent results shooting art work for reproduction, using the K-3 II in normal mode (non PS). I used the 150-450, shot 4 overlapping shots and stitched in Hugin. The result was as good or better than the artist been getting from a professional lab shooting medium format film and then using a drum scanner to digitise...and much cheaper.
I did shoot PS versions as well at the time, but dcrawps indicated some movement between frames so they were not used.
One of the advantages of using the K-3 with full frame lens is that you only use the best centre portion of the lens.

Cheers,
Terry
Thanks Terry, I have not been following the pixel shift debates. I was not aware of any artifacts and what doesn't appear to be a straight forward process of taking a pixel-shifted RAW file into ACR and just using it as for a normal RAW image. I need to dig around. Maybe stitching may well help, though it does seem to open up alignment issues ...

---------- Post added 05-16-16 at 11:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Why not sell one of the K-3 bodies and buy a K-3ii?
Depending on condition, I bet you could sell a K-3 for ~$500 and pick up a K-3ii for ~$600. (I paid $575 for mine)
Then you'll have a few $$ left to save for a future K-1!

I have only played around with pixel shift on my K-3ii a bit.
I'll hunt down some shots and post them here if you want...
I just traded my DA35ltd for a DA15ltd, but I think I took some shots with it just before the trade.

I also just used my K-3ii with DA*300 for some still life with pixel shift. Amazing results!
^ That's a combo I'll likely never get rid of.
Thanks, I guess that's an idea, though I am rather wedded to my trusty K-3s ...To be honest, I've never sold any kit before. I tend to look after them and keep it. I wonder if there are any issues with the K-3ii pixel shift mechanism and it's reliability compared to a non-shift k-3. There's more to go wrong, kind of thinking ... ? Swapping a K-3 for a mark II version does have some mileage, I'm thinking, as I write this. It's growing on me ...
05-16-2016, 04:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Thanks Steve, the longer focal lengths will probably be too limiting as I tend to work from above. If this doesn't work for bigger paintings, I'll have to switch to wall hanging - then I have the mounting and/or glass issues to deal with. But there's some ideas there. Thanks.

---------- Post added 05-16-16 at 11:18 AM ----------

Thanks Terry, I have not been following the pixel shift debates. I was not aware of any artifacts and what doesn't appear to be a straight forward process of taking a pixel-shifted RAW file into ACR and just using it as for a normal RAW image. I need to dig around. Maybe stitching may well help, though it does seem to open up alignment issues ...

---------- Post added 05-16-16 at 11:26 AM ----------

Thanks, I guess that's an idea, though I am rather wedded to my trusty K-3s ...To be honest, I've never sold any kit before. I tend to look after them and keep it. I wonder if there are any issues with the K-3ii pixel shift mechanism and it's reliability compared to a non-shift k-3. There's more to go wrong, kind of thinking ... ? Swapping a K-3 for a mark II version does have some mileage, I'm thinking, as I write this. It's growing on me ...
I'm not sure how the tech works, pretty sure it's just utilizing the SR system in the sensor that already exists.
Someone correct me there if I'm wrong ^

The K3ii is great. I upgraded from a K30 so I personally can't say if it's much better than a K3, but the AF supposedly is a bit better.

Regardless I don't think your can't make a wrong decision. K3ii or K1; both sweet cameras!